forum

Rate the Mapping Technique - Round 35: Hold Sliders (Unranka

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

15.65%
5 - Love them!
47.28%
12.59%
10.20%
1 - Hate them!
14.29%
Total votes: 294
Topic Starter
m980
The Following Technique is now Unrankable.
Since you have to use red timing sections to create them.

Round 35: Hold Sliders

Nominated by Shinxyn. Normally sliders that change speed use 0.5 or 2.0. Hold Sliders use 0.25 or even 0.125 (or some random other multiplier) that force the player to click and hold without moving their mouse at all. These sliders are usually accompanied by a storyboarded message telling the player to "Hold". These sliders usually match the music, rather than being placed anywhere for no reason at all.

Map(s) that use this technique
t+pazolite - Luv-Lab-Poison 22ate! mapped by Xgor (Very ugly example)
Yuu - U.N. Owen was Her? mapped by ignorethis (Difficulty mapped by DJPop)

~Mapping Technique Nominations~
Gens
Bad technique when talking about placement (or readability), but they usually play out quite well.

~4.
RandomJibberish
Sometimes confusing, but usually awesome
Larto makes these very awesome

5'd
mm201
No.
Sallad4ever
4~

very confusing if it has the same visual length as other sliders, even worse if there is no warning
RandomJibberish
If these are used well it shouldn't need a warning

I've never been confused by the ones in Stupid MF or Funhouse
NoHitter
No.
anonymous_old
strager hold sliders are awesome. =]]]
Colin Hou
My eyesight will be on the HP bar when I 'Hold' the slider :S It drains really fast.

4~
Glass
do not want
Bullsh0t
Not too fond of that idea, since you can not see it coming. And mostly, people look more at the notes than the storyboard, since you get distracted otherwise.
TTTTTTTTTTTT
good job~ :)
NatsumeRin
one of the best way to express the feel.
Orkel

m980 wrote:

The Following Technique is now Unrankable.
Since you have to use red timing sections to create them.
What does that matter? As long as it's playable, which they are, they're perfectly fine right? Why nitpick on such things, reducing creativity? The player doesn't care how they're done, as long as they work when they play. I doubt the average player thinks "ohh he used a RED TIMING SECTION, how dare he!" when playing a fun map using this.
pieguyn
I agree. I was quite shocked when I found these were unrankable (though you can cheat by making the rest of the beatmap use 2x and making the hold sliders use 0.5x). There was nothing wrong with this technique so I don't see why that guideline was added. o.o
Doomsday
Sure, they can work in some circumstances, but most of the time I see them, I just find them so awkward to play

Colin Hou
maybe someday the rule can provide a .osu file for all .mp3 files.
Orkel

pieguy1372 wrote:

I agree. I was quite shocked when I found these were unrankable (though you can cheat by making the rest of the beatmap use 2x and making the hold sliders use 0.5x). There was nothing wrong with this technique so I don't see why that guideline was added. o.o
To me it just seems like mapping nazism that reduces creativity for no good reason.
Mashley
You can say that for anything Orkel. (Though I do like these)
HakuNoKaemi
Well, you can use crumpled slider tech to replicate this, plus you can make a real Hold Hit Circle with a Short x0.5 1/8 Repeating Slider.
Or well.... simply use complex+really crumpled plus x0.5 slider shapes
show more