forum

Any good reasoning behind unrankable stack

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ayeen_old

Above is the default leniency stack in map, mapper usually doesn't bother with this, even modder either. Last time I did change the stack leniency to 2, the farthest tick to the left side and someone say it is not rankable? Any good reason why does it not rankable?
LuigiHann
It depends on how you're using it... if two hitcircles in a row are in the same spot, they have to be stacked. The stack leniency is there so you have some control if you're trying to make complicated patterns and notes that aren't in a row and shouldn't be stacking end up stacking. Almost always you should leave it at default. If you turn it down to try to disable stacking altogether, it's unrankable.

Sorry if I'm not explaining this very well, as I don't totally understand why the option is even still there, since there are very few situations where it's supposed to be used, if any. But mostly it's supposed to be left at default.
Topic Starter
Ayeen_old
Since it situational, I'll provide example:

Above is without stack leniency untouched. Utterly ugly :|

Below is with setup stack leniency at far left side

All the stack is in 3 and 2 for the difficulty and the only difficulty that use it

RandomJibberish
Except in the above case instead of being lazy and reducing stack leniency you should make the blanket work with the stack by making it larger and shuffling the stack down slightly. That blanket's pretty horrible anyway :/
Topic Starter
Ayeen_old
I don't think it worth redoing it. It will be like remapping half of the song
Gens
I wouldn't say that looks utterly ugly, but I guess that's a matter of personal taste. If it doesn't look good, I would redo it anyway.

I'd say the reason why they're unrankable is because they look ugly (to peppy, which is what matters, and without a doubt to most of the community too), and are a common standard to most maps. Most of the time mappers don't really have any other reason than 'I don't like stacks', so there's a reason behind it being unrankable.

I support the idea of removing it from the editor.
Sakura
You would just need to move the stacked notes a few grids down and right to make them be in the center of the blanket, as you showed in the 2nd screenshot, that stack leniency is unrankable as those notes are supposed to be stacked but they arent, if you move the notes a bit to the bottom and right they should look better and more appealing.
Topic Starter
Ayeen_old
Talk is easier than doing. I tried, it still a mess and doesn't seem changed. I supposed I make the stack option to option 4. Better "little ugly" then not ranked
Topic Starter
Ayeen_old
Talk about stack leniency too, I played around with the setting. It seem nothing change much unless it was at farthest left setting
RemmyX25
The first example looks perfectly fine and normal to me
RandomJibberish

Ayeen wrote:

Talk about stack leniency too, I played around with the setting. It seem nothing change much unless it was at farthest left setting
Stack leniency doesn't affect how much stacks "lean". It affects how close together notes need to be to stack. So the farthest left setting only. stacks 1/4s, the next setting stacks 1/4s and 1/2s...

I've never had to change it and it's always best to work with the stacks and make the patterns work with them instead of taking the easy option. Stacking is there for a good reason: it clearly shows the player how many beats are on top of each other.
akrolsmir
For this specific pattern, how changing the direction of the stack yourself by moving each next note 2 grids left? Like this:

I think that's allowed, but somebody please tell me if it's unrankable for one reason or another.
Topic Starter
Ayeen_old
I tried that with 0.1 DS. But I afraid that would be another issues next. Let see what MAT/BAT say about it
Shiirn

akrolsmir wrote:

For this specific pattern, how changing the direction of the stack yourself by moving each next note 2 grids left? Like this:

I think that's allowed, but somebody please tell me if it's unrankable for one reason or another.
This sort of thing is perfectly fine, why would you ever think this is unrankable.

Hell on kanon-kanon i specifically moved some notes 1 pixel to avoid automatic distance snapping without any worries about it, but this was more because they were 1/1 or 2/1 apart and still stacking compared to the 1/4 you're doing. I think it looks fine the way akrol suggested, or even in the first, beginning pattern.
Sakura
It doesnt matter in which direction the notes stack as long as you can see the stack, if you're going to use a very low stacking leniency and some notes arent stacking you can always stack them manually, it becomes unrankable the momment notes that are supposed to be stacked, arent stacking
mm201
Doing what you did or doing what RJ suggested are both acceptable.

Stacks are a gameplay convention which is expected by players when successive notes are in the same spot. Inconsistently applying it based on whether the mapper thinks it looks nice would confuse players unnecessarily. Stacking also makes Hidden more playable.

In most cases, patterns can be adjusted to look nice with stacking. The few situations where it doesn't work can be avoided with forethought on the mapper's part. Overlooking something in your map design isn't an excuse to break ranking guidelines.
Topic Starter
Ayeen_old

mm201 wrote:

Doing what you did or doing what RJ suggested are both acceptable. Didn't really get which phrase you mean here. But I ather do the 0.1 DS ~

Stacking also makes Hidden more playable. You got my thread answered, thank you very much~

In most cases, patterns can be adjusted to look nice with stacking True!.

Overlooking something in your map design isn't an excuse to break ranking guidelinesOh, I thought guidelines meant to be broken, jk :lol: .