forum

Blank IE page when trying to use updater [Re-Resolved maybe]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
Okay, for once, PLEASE listen. I love this program to bits and really want it on my laptop, so just tell me what to do, and I can stop moaning.
Here's the problem. I try to use the updater, and it just gives me a blank IE page and then goes on forever. I don't have Vista, and I don't know what could be doing it. Anyone know a solution?
peppy

Agent BA8 Rookbie wrote:

Okay, for once, PLEASE listen
For once? Are you implying I don't listen :(?

Things to check:

Do you have a firewall that could be blocking osu! from updating?

Is the WebClient service enabled on your system? You can check this by going to:
Start > Control Panel > Administrative Settings > Services
Find WebClient in the list, right click it and click Start if you can.

Do you use a proxy server to access the internet? If so, is it setup in IE?

If all else fails, please download the files manually from viewtopic.php?f=5&t=703&p=4990&hilit=osu.zip#p4990
If you do this, I would like you to tell me if online rankings work once you start osu!
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
Not implying YOU don't listen, it just seems like every topic I post in dies.
Thanks, I'll check those things.
By the way, great work on the program.
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
Okay, thanks a lot, it sorta worked, but now when I load osu itself, it gives me the unhandled exception pop up. I did the last option downloading the files.
peppy

Agent BA8 Rookbie wrote:

Okay, thanks a lot, it sorta worked, but now when I load osu itself, it gives me the unhandled exception pop up. I did the last option downloading the files.
can you try the new updater? the netcode in it is completely rewritten and hoepfully it should work for you now.
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
Tried that, now it just says "Could not load changelog page check internet connection"
So yeah. Not resolved. Not yet.
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
Anyone? I seriously need help here.
Doesn't ANYONE have a solution?
awp
It has something to do with your connection being refused. There's nothing we can do with a total lack of information.

"Check internet connection" might be a good place to start. Firewall could be blocking certain ports, your router might be acting funny; who knows. osu!/osume might also be lacking permissions to act as a server or make outbound net connections.
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
Okay. I'll check that.
Plus, if this helps, I'm using a laptop.
Just a question, does UPnP Framework have anything to do with Osu?
Because it's not an exception, now if this were my computer, I'd turn it on, but it's not.

Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
I checked the firewall, there's nothing blocking anything needed.
And I don't understand anything else you said.
awp
There've been issues in the past where giving osu!/osume permissions wasn't enough for the firewall to be happy, and the firewall needed to be shutdown while connecting to osu! (I think). If you want, you can try disabling your security programs and connecting again; that might help.

If not, well...I'm just shootin' ideas. peppy knows best~
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
So... I turn it off while it's updatin', then turn it back on?
Plus, you people are really nice. Anyone else would've got annoyed with my endless questions.
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
Tried turning it off. Gave me the same message.
How do I check the router?
peppy
Out of interest, which firewall software do you use?

If possible, it would be great to test osu! on another PC behind the same router - that way we can narrow it down to whether it is your PC or the router itself.
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
1) It's a normal windows one. XP I believe.
2) Can't. This is the only Windows PC we have.
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
Okay, tried launching Osu, it gave me the message. I read it, and it said something like: "Could not load file or assembly Microsoft XNA. Framework" Or something.
awp

Agent BA8 Rookbie wrote:

Okay, tried launching Osu, it gave me the message. I read it, and it said something like: "Could not load file or assembly Microsoft XNA. Framework" Or something.
The full error would probably help, but based on that snippet, it sounds like you haven't downloaded the latest and "greatest" XNA Framework or .NET or whathaveyou. Shaboom:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
1) Thanks.
2) It would help, but I can't copy and paste it.
awp
If it's a windows "Unhandled exception" error with just an OK at the bottom, you can still copy and paste it. Click the window and hit Ctrl+C and it should copy to the clipboard. This isn't something I'd think to do myself, but oddly enough it works.
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
show more