forum

Only CtB maps, rankable? [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mikhe
Is a little question.. the maps done specific to CtB, are rankable?? or not?
Some people say me that not yet, but i don't know. I think that should be rankable like specific taiko maps.
Waiting peppy or other great mod can say me something to this sure.

Bye :3
Beuchi

mikhe wrote:

I think that should be rankeable like specific taiko maps.
Specific Taiko maps are only rankable if they have osu! diffs to play with. Maps with only Taiko diffs aren't rankable, so I guess this apply too to specific CtB maps.
awp
Is there ever a reason to be CtB-specific? Is there something you want to do in CtB that just looks bad in osu!? I don't see a reason why you would need to make a CtB only map.
Topic Starter
mikhe

awp wrote:

Is there ever a reason to be CtB-specific? Is there something you want to do in CtB that just looks bad in osu!? I don't see a reason why you would need to make a CtB only map.
no no, maybe my english is wrong, i wanted to say a level (one for example), and others "typical" levels (3 for example)

Beuchi-chan wrote:

Specific Taiko maps are only rankable if they have osu! diffs to play with. Maps with only Taiko diffs aren't rankable, so I guess this apply too to specific CtB maps.
Yeah, i want to do a song with osu diffs and a ctb diff, this case, would be rankeable? (http://osu.ppy.sh/s/13726 my map only have 1 diff ctb specific and others diffs to osu!, could be ranked one day then??)

bye! :3
awp

mikhe wrote:

awp wrote:

no no, maybe my english is wrong, i wanted to say a level (one for example), and others "typical" levels (3 for example)
Yeah, that's what I understood from your request. I'm still wondering why you would need a map to be playable in CtB but not osu! standard.
Hanyuu
max score. looooong streams. alot of spinners
Derekku
Also, it would be easier to construct a ctb-only map in the editor than making one that would work in both modes. It's the same concept with taiko-only diffs vs. taikosu ones. :S
Topic Starter
mikhe

awp wrote:

Yeah, that's what I understood from your request. I'm still wondering why you would need a map to be playable in CtB but not osu! standard.

Derekku Chan wrote:

Also, it would be easier to construct a ctb-only map in the editor than making one that would work in both modes. It's the same concept with taiko-only diffs vs. taikosu ones. :S

Yes, is easier make a ctb only diff what an osu! diff.For example you can do great jumps in CtB where in osu! are bad jumps, then to do hard diff to ctb i need use "specific ctb". Only i want to know if songs with one ctb diff would be ranked. (like songs with taiko diff)
Derekku
Since taiko-only diffs are rankable when placed with osu!standard sets AND the ctb-only option is now allowed in the editor, I assume that ctb-only diffs are also now rankable as long as they're with standard diffs.

I'll let a BAT/GMT/admin confirm/resolve this, though. :P
peppy
I will tentatively say yes to this, but as awp said - there better be a reason they can't work in osu! gameplay mode, else they will not be accepted.
awp

Derekku Chan wrote:

Also, it would be easier to construct a ctb-only map in the editor than making one that would work in both modes.
In other words, "it lets mappers be lazy", which imo is not a valid excuse.

Hanyuu wrote:

max score. looooong streams. alot of spinners
This, however, I can at least buy into, to some degree.

Derekku Chan wrote:

It's the same concept with taiko-only diffs vs. taikosu ones. :S
Taiko maps require some unconventional standard play tweaks: factors such as hitsounding may sound really awkward in standard mode, and using sliders for drum-rolling in Taiko can be mapped in such a way that it fits the Taiko mood but can't really be arranged well in standard gameplay. I don't see this being the case with CtB since the maps are translated primarily "as-is".
Derekku

awp wrote:

Derekku Chan wrote:

Also, it would be easier to construct a ctb-only map in the editor than making one that would work in both modes.
In other words, "it lets mappers be lazy", which imo is not a valid excuse.
This could be to true to some degree, but overall, I believe that Hanyuu's post was in the right direction.

Derekku Chan wrote:

It's the same concept with taiko-only diffs vs. taikosu ones. :S
@awp: Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I said this. There IS a big difference between taiko-only and ctb-only difficulties. I think I was just trying to use it as a general explanation or something.

*resolves for now*
peppy
The other thing to remember is that Catch the Beat mode was made specifically to take advantage of osu! mapping style. If you make an osu! map, it will play well in CtB. The only case I can see where CtB only maps should be made is where they override the maximum difficulty allowed by an osu! map. And even then, the lower difficulties can be osu! difficulties without a problem, right?
Derekku
inb4 someone makes an all-ctb-only mapset and whines about why it can't be approved.
Topic Starter
mikhe

peppy wrote:

The other thing to remember is that Catch the Beat mode was made specifically to take advantage of osu! mapping style. If you make an osu! map, it will play well in CtB. The only case I can see where CtB only maps should be made is where they override the maximum difficulty allowed by an osu! map. And even then, the lower difficulties can be osu! difficulties without a problem, right?
Yeah, for example my ctb-only diff have jumps, that they are hard in standard and then the diff would approved, but with ctb-only can be ranked perfectly because CtB is easier than osu! standard (i think i expressed myself good.. ><).
CtB-only diff will be very insanes diff (not easys)

Derekku Chan wrote:

inb4 someone makes an all-ctb-only mapset and whines about why it can't be approved.
I only wanted resolved this question, maybe so soon, but better before that after.

Bye :3