forum

Official Beatmap Criteria?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Motto_old
Just wondering how you guys pick beatmaps to become part of the official beatmap list.
eyup
Well it's pretty subjective at the moment, but basically the timing needs to be perfect, and the notes should make sense and fall in the right places. I guess we might have to tighten up the rules somewhat if the number of beatmaps being created gets really out of hand.
Topic Starter
Motto_old

eyup wrote:

Well it's pretty subjective at the moment, but basically the timing needs to be perfect, and the notes should make sense and fall in the right places. I guess we might have to tighten up the rules somewhat if the number of beatmaps being created gets really out of hand.
:lol: osu! is a great game. I don't see how it couldn't grab a huge following. Even if it doesn't I'm going to keep playing and creating beatmaps for it.
peppy
Generally unless the beatmap is perfect (there have been a few of these ;)) we wait for at least one other mod/respected person's opinion before adding to official listing. This means a total of two positive responses to be added. As eyup said - as quantity increases, we will hopefully have larger feedback rates and increase the leniency of this process.

If you feel your beatmap is worthy but has fallen below the 1st page of the Completed Beatmaps folder, please don't hesitate to bump it! We try our best not to let this happen, but we are few, and the beatmaps are many!
chan

eyup wrote:

I guess we might have to tighten up the rules somewhat if the number of beatmaps being created gets really out of hand.
Hahaha, more like when the number gets out of hand. There are already ~100 topics in the completed beatmaps section and it's been less than 2 months since this place was up. If it keeps going at this rate...
Hitoshirenu Shourai

chan wrote:

eyup wrote:

I guess we might have to tighten up the rules somewhat if the number of beatmaps being created gets really out of hand.
Hahaha, more like when the number gets out of hand. There are already ~100 topics in the completed beatmaps section and it's been less than 2 months since this place was up. If it keeps going at this rate...
I think what he means to say is that I make way too many beatmaps. ^_~
Extor
You do... but never change that! =D
Hitoshirenu Shourai

Extor wrote:

You do... but never change that! =D
Well, good to know I have fans. Although, the ranked stats show that fans aren't good enough. None of my maps are even in the top 10 for most played. =/
chan

hitoshirenu wrote:

Well, good to know I have fans. Although, the ranked stats show that fans aren't good enough. None of my maps are even in the top 10 for most played. =/
*Hint* Make it difficult so that Ivalset has to play your beatmap 100+ times until a perfect is achieved.
Well, I guess there's that and getting lots of people to try your beatmap a couple of times ^^;
Extor
You know, I was just going to say something like that. XD

Blame Ivalset for the top 10 right now. =P
peppy
*hides* don't look at me for sakuranbo playcount... >.>
chan
Perhaps the number of people who have played a beatmap should be included, since playcount is heavily skewed depending on a few players *glares*
I think this is heading off topic ^^'
Ivalset
Hey, hey, what. You can't pin this on me!

So maybe I play songs a bit much. And maybe I work harder on the ones that are out of my grasp. That's only natural right? Not everyone is eyup, I can't crank out S ranks in <5 plays of a song.

I blame the ratio of beatmappers to players, which seems to be somewhere in the range of 15:1.
Topic Starter
Motto_old

Ivalset wrote:

I blame the ratio of beatmappers to players, which seems to be somewhere in the range of 15:1.
Isn't that ratio a good thing? :P
chan
Hehehe, of course I'm not blaming you :P

Ivalset wrote:

... I blame the ratio of beatmappers to players, which seems to be somewhere in the range of 15:1.
But what you say is true. Perhaps osu! has greater appeal in the creation of beatmaps rather than actually playing them. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.
Hitoshirenu Shourai

chan wrote:

Hehehe, of course I'm not blaming you :P

Ivalset wrote:

... I blame the ratio of beatmappers to players, which seems to be somewhere in the range of 15:1.
But what you say is true. Perhaps osu! has greater appeal in the creation of beatmaps rather than actually playing them. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.
To me, it's a good thing. I have TONS of songs that I want people to be more familiar with. =D
Ivalset

Motto wrote:

Isn't that ratio a good thing? :P
Sure, it's better than the reverse, but with so many beatmappers and so few players, it's only natural that some maps are going to be played significantly less than others. Not from the quality of the maps, but just a lack of people to play them.

And if you're on chan or Extor's side, then I'm only one man with one laptop. Once I improve my lower ranks, I'll start playing different songs =/
chan

hitoshirenu wrote:

To me, it's a good thing. I have TONS of songs that I want people to be more familiar with. =D
Yeah, but isn't it bad that no one might end up playing them because they're too busy making their own beatmaps?
Topic Starter
Motto_old

chan wrote:

Yeah, but isn't it bad that no one might end up playing them because they're too busy making their own beatmaps?
Oh, don't worry. We have Ivalset for that. He plays enough for everyone. :D
Hitoshirenu Shourai

chan wrote:

Sadly, that's how I am. I spend my time making beatmaps instead of playing them. >_>

Besides, I'm not very good at this game, but at least I can make others happy except Ivalset by making lots of beatmaps! =D
show more