forum

Taiko Mode with PS2 drum

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loginer
Buy a random PS2 Taiko game + PS2 -> PC adapter, get drum, throw away game, play osu!. You haven't tried Taiko Mode until you've tried it with a real drum. :D
This script is written for GlovePIE, BTW. Get the program here: http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie_download

//osu! Taiko Drum Script v1.1 by Loginer
//Designed for used with PS2 Taiko Drum and adapter of choice

//Controls:
//Middle = Left mouse button (Red)
//Side = Right mouse button (Blue)
key.a = joystick1.button2
key.z = joystick1.pov1left
key.s = joystick1.button8
key.x = joystick1.button7

//Unnecessary debug script to make script seem more complex than it is
if joystick.button2 = true or joystick.pov1left = true
var.1 = "don"
end if
if joystick.button2 = true and joystick.pov1left = true
var.1 = "DON"
end if
if joystick.button2 = false and joystick.pov1left = false
var.1 = ""
end if

if joystick.button8 = true or joystick.button7 = true
var.2 = "kat"
end if
if joystick.button8 = true and joystick.button7 = true
var.2 = "KAT"
end if
if joystick.button8 = false and joystick.button7 = false
var.2 = ""
end if

if (var.1 = "don" or "DON") and (var.2 = "kat" or "KAT")
var.0 = "+"
else
var.0 = ""
end if

debug = var.1 and var.0 and var.2
aquabluu
The drum is way rarer than the game. The only one I found was $40 off eBay, sans game!
MaxwellDemon
*needs to get a PS2 -> PC adapter now*
flyboy87
Does anyone mind telling how this script works?

I have a PS2 control -> PC adapter and it works with the regular control but does not work very well with the drum. My drum has no problems with sensitivity, but when I play Osu, it's not sensitive.
Topic Starter
Loginer

flyboy87 wrote:

Does anyone mind telling how this script works?

I have a PS2 control -> PC adapter and it works with the regular control but does not work very well with the drum. My drum has no problems with sensitivity, but when I play Osu, it's not sensitive.
Does it react at all? If so, I'd blame the adapter. And it simply makes the drum emulate the left and right mouse buttons.

aquabluu wrote:

The drum is way rarer than the game. The only one I found was $40 off eBay, sans game!
I bought a new copy on Amazon. Here's a link.

BTW, those who don't have a PS2 can still play the game on their PC if they'd want to, as long as it's powerful enough.
flyboy87
Well, it does react - but only occasionally. Maybe I installed the wrong driver?

I only installed the driver for a normal PS2 controller, maybe it needs a different driver? :P
LuigiHann
I'd like to see a youtube video of this in action.
Topic Starter
Loginer

flyboy87 wrote:

Well, it does react - but only occasionally. Maybe I installed the wrong driver?

I only installed the driver for a normal PS2 controller, maybe it needs a different driver? :P
If it does react at all, I'd blame the adapter. Get a Trio Linker Plus II, those are awesome.
Sinuce
Was there ever a conclusion on this?
  • Can you in fact buy a PS2 Taiko Drum Controller and use it with osu! ?
    Which PS2-to-USB adapter do you prefer?
    Do you use any Joy2Key software, or does it work fine in osu! ?
    Is there any latency regarding the Drum Controller?
Can anyone confirm that they've got a Taiko Drum Controller working with osu! ?
awp
I don't see why a standard PS2 taiko drum WOULDN'T work. I have a PS2 Guitar Hero controller working with proper fret recognition and everything, so I'd expect the Taiko drum to be even easier to use.

Don't own a Taiko drum though so I can't show off any proof.
Sinuce
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Penguino_old
I can get the left and right don buttons to work, but when i enter options in osu and try and configure the buttons for the two blue buttons it doesn't work. :(
am i doing something wrong?
Sinuce
You can just download a free Joy2Key program and set it up e.g. so that when you hit the edges of your drum, it should give the inputs "Z" and "V".

Try this: http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm
It might make your drum work with osu just fine...

EDIT:
So I bought a Drum for freaking $84 !

My current problem reads as follows (read if you want to know, what I've done and tested this far):
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8401&p=69733#p69733

I've tried using the GlovePIE script from above, but it does the exact same thing, as my Joy2Key software - and the outcome is the same;
osu! doesn't recognize all hits, and it feels like that I have to hit the drum harder than when in fx Notepad.

I tried connecting a PS2 Dance Pad (using the same adapter) with osu taiko mode, and that worked perfect
- no latency, no problems.

The problem seem to remain with osu! not being able to support the Taiko Drum fully.
OnosakiHito
Works fine! Thank you really much.~
Much fun to play on the Tatakon~ <3
Kei1ro
I've had a taiko drum, and finally I decided to hook it up with osu.
Same issue with most people here, I gotta hit really hard for it to register. Also, there is a slight delay within the beats.

It works in terms of functionality, but in terms of practicality, it's failed me.

I do appreciate that the comunity can make something like this though.
Yomiell
Sorry for commenting in such old post, but could someone make a step by step or something?
i really don't know how to do this, i have a PS2 controller and a PS2 -> PC adaptor, I have downloaded GlovePIE and Joy 2key. ;-;
OnosakiHito

Kei1ro wrote:

I've had a taiko drum, and finally I decided to hook it up with osu.
Same issue with most people here, I gotta hit really hard for it to register. Also, there is a slight delay within the beats.

It works in terms of functionality, but in terms of practicality, it's failed me.

I do appreciate that the comunity can make something like this though.
Well, I play the drum set now 2 Months and remarked, that I'm hitting not anymore so hard like at the beginning.
I think you need a little bit more practice at first. After a while you will feel easier to play it, and your accuracy goes up.
One more thing is that you will gain the possibility to deal with the offset/replay of the drum set. Just need to pratice.
But if you want get a better offset/replay of it, try to use in the Osu! options > Audio > Start offset Wizard the offset 75 or -75, it helped me at the beginning.

Uchi-san wrote:

Sorry for commenting in such old post, but could someone make a step by step or something?
i really don't know how to do this, i have a PS2 controller and a PS2 -> PC adaptor, I have downloaded GlovePIE and Joy 2key. ;-;
Maa, it's pretty easy.

1.) Pin the adapter on your PC > Pin your drum set on the adapter
2.) Now your PC should recognize the drum set or if not, you need - if you have got it - to install the driver of the drum set.
3.) Open GlovePIE
4.) Copy and paste the script for the drum set into the GlovePIE programm.
5.) Now click ,,start" in GlovePIE and it should work! When you hit now the drum set, the programm will show you kat/don.

Hope that helps you~ :3

By the way, that's how I play now:
burningmice
Everyone looking for the a taiko drum check amazon. They have the game+controller bundle for $50 brand new.
The prices on eBay seem to get ridiculous, especially after factoring in shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Taiko-Drum-Master ... 892&sr=8-4
Moefu_old
i have a wii drum
how can i deal with it?
just the same way as ps2?
OnosakiHito
As I know, it is just possible to get a adapter for the PS2 tatakon.
Never heard about a Wii adapter for tatakon.
show more