forum

[Multiplayer] funspoiler options avaliable before map starts

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +33
Topic Starter
antsu
This request may be considered a duplicate of this one: p/1691190 but what I'll ask applies especifically to multiplayer games. Let me explain:

I'm not asking for a permatoggle (even though it would be nice) or anything like that and I don't really care about having to restart the map in solo mode for funspoiler settings to take effect, that's not a big problem. But, in multiplayer mode things are different. First of all, you can't just restart a multiplayer game, what automatically makes the storyboard/skin/hitsounds toggles completely useless (and we all know that even good mappers sometimes use terrible skins in their maps).
The second - and more serious - problem is the amount of time that the funspoiler menu is avaliable when the map starts. Usually, if you're fast enough, you can dim the background, hit <Tab> to hide the scoreboard and play without trouble. But this gets very problematic when DT is on, specially on maps that start right away. Players have to go through the frustration of a) failing because the map started while you was trying to hit the small and thin dim slider button; or b) playing without seeing sh*t because it's too colorful (let alone the bad skins). As a self-proclaimed DT-lover who plays actively in multiplayer, this has been bothering me for some time.

So, in summary, I'm asking for the hability to set the funspoiler options while in the multiplayer room, before the map starts. Not permanently, but for each map.

I hope I have been clear enough.

Thanks for you attention.
bedabeda
This sounds reasonable to me.
Sakura
Hmm, something like a countdown of 10 seconds before the map starts after the host launched the game, for everyone to adjust their fun spoiler settings, however if one person in the room hasn't passed the map, it should be treated as if no one has passed it, for fairness sake.

Another possible thing i can think of is that the host selects the fun spoiler settings (and they are visible just like regular mods) but they affect everyone in the room.
Topic Starter
antsu
I'm not a programmer (just know some very basic concepts) and what I'll say can be very idiot, but, for what I could notice, when the funspoiler menu appears, the skin/hitsounds/sb are already loaded in memory. So Sakura, your "10 secs delay" solution would help for setting the dim, but still make the toggles useless.
Sakura
I meant before the map loads.
Topic Starter
antsu

Sakura wrote:

I meant before the map loads.

Sakura wrote:

(..)after the host launched the game(...)
Sorry, that confused me.
Soaprman
Why not just have it available somewhere in the multiplayer room so you can fiddle with your settings before pressing Ready? And then have those settings apply to the maps you play while you're in the room (unless you haven't played that map or whatever the condition for it not working is).
Gaba
Support por que o antsu é gatinho
Devochka_old
Support
That or that the host can set a limit on the funspoiler settings.

Sakura wrote:

however if one person in the room hasn't passed the map, it should be treated as if no one has passed it, for fairness sake.
I'm also in favor of this.

Example: I as host choose a map and set a 90% BG DIM limit.
Player 2 sets BG DIM to 30%.
Player 3 sets BG DIM to 90% and disables SB & skin.
Player 4 sets BG DIM to 50% and disables skin.

Example 2: I as host choose a map and set 50% BG DIM limit and disable: Disable Skin, Disable SB.
Player 2 sets BG DIM to 50%
Player 3 sets BG DIM to 30%.

I think it will be possible for hosts to let people play the song as they intended it to be played while still giving people some freedom.
theowest
This could also change the way funspoilers work.

You're suppose to play the map before in many cases in order to change things. So not being able to change things if you haven't played it in multiplayer too?
FishHook
Made a similar topic today v
p/1836811#p1836811

My concern is at least able-ing a dim setting either in the MP options each player has. Dimming is possible even on first play through so it shouldn't be a problem, right?
deadbeat
dimming is possible first play yes, but only to 50% which then can be increased to 90% after completing the difficuly
theowest
tbh, I want 100%

edit: I got what I wanted
jabberwockey

Soaprman wrote:

Why not just have it available somewhere in the multiplayer room so you can fiddle with your settings before pressing Ready? And then have those settings apply to the maps you play while you're in the room (unless you haven't played that map or whatever the condition for it not working is).
Have mixed opinions about this
What if they never played the map? Only dim and turn off SB should be available ( that too only for maps with an epilepsy warning)
laport

antsu wrote:

The second - and more serious - problem is the amount of time that the funspoiler menu is avaliable when the map starts. Usually, if you're fast enough, you can dim the background, hit <Tab> to hide the scoreboard and play without trouble.

I've also noticed that in numerous cases there's not enough time to press TAB to hide the on-screen scores of the players/teams after the host has started the map and before the first note of the map.

If these pre-play options are going to become implemented then this particular option (hide scoreboard) would make things so much more relaxed

Soaprman wrote: