forum

Anime Suggestion Thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ampzz
I have meant to do this a while ago since I was sick of seeing all the random threads popping up with regard to "suggest me an anime!?!" so I'll take the time to write up a decent opening post explaining the purpose of this thread and how to go about using it.

Just so that this doesn't turn into a complete spam-fest of people saying stuff along the lines of, "Watch [insert anime title] because I think it's good!"
We shall run through a few things to keep this nice and civilised without the likelihood of this turning into a chat room just between one to three people, as I've noticed has turned into a trend lately...

If you are after an anime suggestion pop in a few things like:
  1. The genre of anime you want to watch; in saying this it isn't a necessity but it makes it easier for people to offer suggestions.
  2. Give examples of similar anime you may have seen. If you have a MyAnimeList or Anime Database (anidb) account with a few titles of what you've seen already this comes to be a lot easier.
  3. A brief description of what kind of anime you wish to see.
    e.g. I want to see something not unique and unlike most anime that is released lately.
  4. Ask for a few suggestions at a time that way you will have a decent backlog of anime to trawl through whenever you finish off one particular title and then can move onto the next.
With this out of the way we move on to the part of offering suggestions to particular users which is simpler if you do something that includes:
  1. Try to break up certain aspects of your suggestion list by grouping similar anime together or, if they're after multiple genre requests, group them into their respective labels.
    Some people prefer being able to organise their plan-to-watch lists by watching one genre type at a time.
  2. Possibly give your own short take on the anime titles which doesn't have to be much, even a few words is better than nothing at all.
  3. Take into consideration of which anime they've listed as already seen or the comparative title they're after.
  4. Offer a few anime titles at a time, even if they are the OVA of the same named anime title as most people might skip OVA, OAD or movies since they didn't know about them.
Just use these as an idea of what you should consider to help another person figure out which anime they may want to see if you're suggesting to them.

That's about it, enjoy making requests and/or suggestions as there is quite a few anime lovers out there who would love to offer their opinions on what anime people might not have seen or known about which are priceless or just simply skipped out completely due to mainstream titles, myself included.

Since common sense doesn't seem to apply to people; going to add this as a permanent rule which must be adhered to otherwise your post will be removed, no questions asked.
  1. Do not link, discuss or 'recommend' any hentai title, ever.
The Ribbon Red
Finally! Thanks, ampzz!

Someone should stick this thread on top.
Accelerator-kun
Too bad that lots of people will not read this and will open new topics.
Anyway,

The Ribbon Red wrote:

stick this thread on top.
Lance
Thanks for making this. Ehh I'm not sure if I need a suggestion though. My backlog is already pretty monumental in size.
Bakario
I want something like Kaiji
Lance

Bakario wrote:

I want something like Kaiji
Akagi and Saki
Mogsy
Stickied.

Feel free to ask for recommendations through here, everyone. Separate threads will be locked.

Also, outright flaming of suggestions and whatnot (as in the typical "lol dis sux y u recomnd" comment), along with troll suggestions, will be handled accordingly. Let's just give out some serious recommendations. :3

Also, Akagi really is your best bet for something like Kaiji.
mathexpert
Does anybody have any suggestions for good slice of life/comedy/school anime? Things like MM!, Kannagi, K-On!, etc.
Mogsy

mathexpert9981 wrote:

Does anybody have any suggestions for good slice of life/comedy/school anime? Things like MM!, Kannagi, K-On!, etc.
Yes.

1. Great Teacher Onizuka. It is a silly comedy and indeed does not have the moe factor that the three titles you listed have (I personally don't mind the lack of moe in the slightest, but eh). Some points get a little after-school-special-ish later on in the series, but it's still damn silly and funny. Easily one of my favourite comedies out there.
  2. School Rumble. Basically, this is love polygon heaven. It is goofy about it every step of the way. Not the least bit serious. It has a special place in my heart and always lightens my mood.
  3. And Yet The Town Moves. One of the more underappreciated Shaft shows out there. Also not a serious show (then again, you asked for comedies), and it is a little off-kilter at points. I still find a lot of the humor in this show genuinely funny and the last episode is both sad and amazingly funny.
Three shows that are definitely worth your time, if your funny bone agrees with silly.

Also just watch Welcome to the NHK. Dark, dark humor at its finest.
akrolsmir
Also, Seitokai no Ichizon if you like your school comedies with parody, and Seto no Hanayome if you like your school comedies just plain funny.
hipster3000

Mogsworth wrote:

Also just watch Welcome to the NHK. Dark, dark humor at its finest.
I love NHK, and I was actually going to ask for something similar to it. Does anyone have any recommendations? Anything with the same brand of dark humour, psychological elements and emotional depth. Doesn't have to be a slice-of-life or comedy necessarily, I guess.
Giganscudo

hipster3000 wrote:

I love NHK, and I was actually going to ask for something similar to it. Does anyone have any recommendations? Anything with the same brand of dark humour, psychological elements and emotional depth. Doesn't have to be a slice-of-life or comedy necessarily, I guess.
Stein's gate? (I shouldn't really recommend a show I've only watched 4-5 episodes of.) The atmosphere is kind of dark, has humour, involves psychological elements. Maaayybbeee... some emotional depth ^^^.

I'm not a guy who prefers dark plots or atmospheres.
The Ribbon Red

akrolsmir wrote:

Also, Seitokai no Ichizon if you like your school comedies with parody, and Seto no Hanayome if you like your school comedies just plain funny.
Seitokai if you like harem and want to pass time.

BTW, thread was stickied. So...
PARTY TIME!!!

Anyway, mine:

Horror + Gore:
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (ひぐらしのなく頃に):
    [list:1abd5]Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (ひぐらしのなく頃に)
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (ひぐらしのなく頃に会)
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei(ひぐらしのなく頃に例)
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira(ひぐらしのなく頃にキラ)
Umineko no Naku Koro ni (うみねこのなく頃に)
Accelerator-kun

The Ribbon Red wrote:

Horror + Gore:
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (ひぐらしのなく頃に):
    [list:28cfc]Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (ひぐらしのなく頃に)
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (ひぐらしのなく頃に会)
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei(ひぐらしのなく頃に例)
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira(ひぐらしのなく頃にキラ)
Umineko no Naku Koro ni (うみねこのなく頃に)
My favourite mini wall of text :')

I add too:
Mirai Nikki
Elfen Lied (more disturbing than horror)
Another
The Ribbon Red

Accelerator-kun wrote:

My favourite mini wall of text :')
I'll add one more other than gore.

Mecha:
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00:
    [list:6811a]Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (機動戦士ガンダム00)
    Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season 2 (機動戦士ガンダム00 Season 2)
    Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakening of The Trailblazer (機動戦士ガンダム00: アワェケニング オブ ザ トレーイルボレーザー)
Bakario
Duh, Akagi > Kaiji

Already watched, anything else?
Evanlet

Giganscudo wrote:

hipster3000 wrote:

Stein's gate? (I shouldn't really recommend a show I've only watched 4-5 episodes of.) The atmosphere is kind of dark, has humour, involves psychological elements. Maaayybbeee... some emotional depth ^^^.

I'm not a guy who prefers dark plots or atmospheres.
Oh it'll be emotional alright. Episode 12 is where the anime really starts, and where it just smacks you across the face. Get ready ;)
Kert
Anything like Kobato? Never seen such a kindhearted anime (ok maybe Hanamaru Youchien is close to it)
Maybe there's more?
there's a link to myanimelist in my user page if anyone needs that
skyboy19
need sugestion for this season(summer 2012)
Accelerator-kun

skyboy19 wrote:

need sugestion for this season(summer 2012)
Yuru Yuri 2
La Storia Della Arcana Famiglia
Sword Art Online

Try them!
show more