forum

[resolved] Osu! does not start

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tatara Yanagi
Well I got an AMD Radeon Vega 64 recently and I replaced my GTX 960 4G with it.
Now when I try to start osu! I am instantly getting a windows error message opon starting even if I try to install osu! on another hard disk except C. With my GTX 960 it worked perfectly.

osu!.exe has stopped working.

What I have done so far:
- deinstalling osu! and tried to reinstall it on both hard disks (not at the same time but seperatly)
- installing it at another location except /appdata/
- deinstalling previous Nvidia drivers as well as reinstalling the AMD drivers
- open osu! as administrator
- change compatibility
- force it to run in window mode

I got it to work once but in a 2015 version of it. When I tried to update it crashed with the same error message.

I am currently using Windows 10 64bit

In addition I here is the error: https://youtu.be/oG98yJTVsLw
Markusplys
Hi, have you ever tried restarting your pc or something?
Death
If restarting your computer does not work, please follow this guide to find the crash log in your event viewer, and post anything you find here.
Topic Starter
Tatara Yanagi
Death
How did you go about uninstalling your drivers? This is more than likely some sort of driver/driver conflict issue. I'd try using DDU if you didn't before.

AMD's Cleanup Utility may also help if you want to get rid of your current AMD drivers to reinstall them as well.
Topic Starter
Tatara Yanagi
I have used both of them at this time. DDU when I changed my graphics card and Cleanup Utility even yesterday.

Update: So I comepletly deinstalled osu! and run CCleaner to remove those registry entries, used DDU in safe mode as well as trying to run it in safe mode only with graphic drivers. Nothing worked.

Update 2: Downloaded the 2015 version of osu here: https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comments/993mmr/every_old_osu_client_20072015/
This version works just fine but I cant update to latest one.
Death
I wouldn't recommend using fallback. Score submission is already disabled for new maps and it could be completely disabled at any time. Also it's missing a few new features.

A while ago, another person was able to fix this issue by installing some older Crimson ReLive drivers, instead of the current Adrenalin drivers that are provided. I'm not sure how necessary it is to go all the way back to those drivers, it might be wise to just try looking for older Adrenalin drivers first. And if those still don't work, I believe these are the drivers they installed. There are some slightly newer version of those Crimson drivers as well.
Topic Starter
Tatara Yanagi
Well I tried the Crimson 17.12.1 driver without any result. Checked if I am using True Color 32, checked my .NET Framework version as well as which OpenGL version is installed. It is all fine I could not get any information out of it. Btw what is the difference between the 2015 version and the latest one? Like I said the 2015 version is running without any problems.
Death
It's probably running fine because the default renderer is DirectX. That's one difference between fallback and the current client, among other things.

The "compatibility mode" setting in the current version of the game does something similar, but it's not exactly the same. So you can try enabling that, but I have no clue if it will actually do anything. Inside your osu! folder is a file named "osu!.pcname.cfg" (where pcname is the name of the account you are logged into on your computer), edit that file in some text editor, set the "CompatibilityContext" line equal to 1, save the file, and then try to start the game again.
Topic Starter
Tatara Yanagi
Thank you very much! Enabling the compatibility mode just worked fine!
Finally I can click those circles again!

Annotation for players who have the same problem but do not have a .cfg: I could not start osu! configuration via pressing shift or editing the shortcut with -config so I just got some .cfg file from my laptop and dropped it on my PC to edit it. Worked fine!