forum

[Editor] Change the default distance spacing to 1,0x

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
theowest
From 0,80x to 1,0x.

Since it gives you a more smooth and constant flow over your beatmap.

Ekaru

theowest wrote:

From 0,80x to 1,0x.

Since it gives you a more smooth and constant flow over your beatmap.
Actually, it often gives you a worse transition between hit circles and sliders. This is because players move their cursor a bit faster than required. 0.8x spacing compensates for this so that you maintain a similar cursor speed for the majority of the map. 1.0x, on the other hand, typically results in you having to slow down a bit for sliders.

It's not like the default was decided by going, "Hmm, 0.8x is a nice number. Let's use that!" Nah, there was some thought put behind it.

EDIT: Most mappers change the DS to suit their needs, anyways. The default really only matters for newbies.
Topic Starter
theowest
But it doesn't work that way though. If the beatmap gives you a speed where you can safely jump and stop at notes without having to continue too fast, distance spacing wouldn't matter much and slider speed would feel separate to play. This is also VERY subjective. It might not be so fast for you, but for others it's constant. For example, the maps that are constant for me now are often very fast map (time between notes). This can be anything between just high BPM maps or just generally faster notes (1/4 streams). The flow becomes constant if you play maps that are constant to you. Flow: t/86329&start=0

People would rather have sliders that feel slower than the distance snap (even though they're just the same speed), using your concept.

I understand the concept, but it doesn't work practically.

Ask any professional player.
those
Feature Request: Be able to set default distance spacing via skin.ini
Topic Starter
theowest

those wrote:

Feature Request: Be able to set default distance spacing via skin.ini
That would be an option if osu! really, really wants to brainwash its children into thinking 0,80x is better.
Ekaru

theowest wrote:

This is also VERY subjective.
Yep, it's all subjective! What the ideal DS is for any given situation will therefore depend on the individual.

Therefore, there is no reason to screw with mappers who don't adjust the DS simply because they expect it to be 0.8x just because of your opinion. ^_^ Really, pretty much anybody who doesn't want to use 0.8x, you know... changes it.

EDIT: And before you ask, a lot of the maps I like use 1.2+x DS so I do know what you mean.
Topic Starter
theowest

Ekaru wrote:

theowest wrote:

This is also VERY subjective.
Yep, it's all subjective! What the ideal DS is for any given situation will therefore depend on the individual. Exactly. So we have to use what's certain. 1,0x should technically provide the beatmap with constant flow. Which it does practically.

Therefore, there is no reason to screw with mappers who don't adjust the DS simply because they expect it to be 0.8x just because of your opinion. ^_^ Really, pretty much anybody who doesn't want to use 0.8x, you know... changes it. Which is why the default should be changed. Not many people are using it and the reason for people not to use it is because it isn't supportive of flow or the fact that they'd rather see slower sliders than less distance between notes.

EDIT: And before you ask, a lot of the maps I like use 1.2+x DS so I do know what you mean.
yeah, they are 1,2x because people would rather see sticky/slower sliders than the note distances. So why not put it in the middle? 1,0x.
Ekaru
Which is why the default should be changed.
Wait, so if the mappers who leave the DS at default are those who want to use 0.8x because they know the default is 0.8x... Then you should change it in hopes that they'll accidentally start using 1.0x instead?

EDIT: In all seriousness, there really is no point in changing it because it won't really change anything. Most mappers would just go "WTF? Why- oh, the default's changed. *fixes it*"I'll just go with what peppy decides since I don't really care because of that.
Topic Starter
theowest
I'd rather see people being encouraged to use 1,0x than 0,80x. Because it makes a lot more sense.

let's see how it goes.
Ekaru
Actually, 1.0x please. 0.8x DS + 1.4x SV = ACK, and newbies often use that because they don't know any better. And, I'd rather have the DS changed than the SV changed 'cuz Taiko.
Topic Starter
theowest
So mm confirmed he's going to do this. woo \o\
D33d
Hold on, he did? That's excellent. Having said that, 0.8x is pretty good for conserving space, so it's sometimes better for those with less experience. For 'Footloose', I ended up going from 1x to 0.8x because I kept running out of space too easily.
Sakura
Kinda glad this will happen, sometimes i start mapping and tend to forget to increase DS to 1.0x ._.
Shiirn
alternatively, you could actually care about your map and just go alt+mousewheel to get good DS numbers before mapping.
Topic Starter
theowest

Shiirn wrote:

alternatively, you could actually care about your map and just go alt+mousewheel to get good DS numbers before mapping.
of course. but this is more for newcomers.
Topic Starter
theowest
Seems like this has been added! Not sure when though, can't seem to find it on the change log.

or does it just remember the last distance spacing used? Can someone confirm this?
deadbeat
i just started a brand new map and the distance snap was 0.8x ._.
Kuro

theowest wrote:

Seems like this has been added! Not sure when though, can't seem to find it on the change log.

or does it just remember the last distance spacing used? Can someone confirm this?
Nope just checked, default is still 0.8x
TheVileOne
0.8 works for some maps, 1.0 works for some maps, 1.1 works for other maps.

IMO 1.0 works better for most higher BPMs, while 0.8 tends to work for many lower BPM songs.

It's not correct to say most players move faster than the sliders. If people tend to move faster than the sliders, then the sliders are too slow for their skill level. Using 1.0 would fit better for the skill level that the map is designed for, while your skill level would be a higher distance snap. For instance my skill level/mouse sensitivity is focused around 1.2 with 1.5 snap jumps. The mapper shouldn't map expecting the player is going to want to move at 1.2.
Topic Starter
theowest
Strange, it's always 1,0x for me.

I guess this request still stands.