forum

[Archived] Getting Latest osu!latest running on OpenGL 1.4 with Compatibility Mode

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MyAngelMegu
Hello!

As some people knows, peppy announced that online features fallback is dying very soon. That'll mean people with older PC like me can't play osu!fallback on online anymore. My PC only supports OpenGL 1.4 (GPU : Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150), so osu!latest doesn't on my PC (Here is my error - https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/751070?start=6635589 ).

However I've seen someone who was able to run osu!latest on OpenGL 1.1 on compatibility mode. He was able to install and run osu!latest on compatibility mode without any issue on OpenGL 1.1 (Which is both older than mine and not meeting the required 2.1 version either). I've tried every possible thing I could. Editing osu.<user name>.cfg, manually putting CompatiblityContext = 1 in, and other, but still met with same error (This one btw too - https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/751070?start=6635589).
I was able to confirm that my PC spec isn't the issue either. I tried running osu! on Mesa3D OpenGL Software Rendering (It emulates upto OpenGL 3.x) and it runs good..although very laggy (4-10fps, of cource cuz software rendering) and online and options menu doesn't works.

So how can I get it working with at least Compatiblity Mode?
Death

tasnim_tamim wrote:

I was able to confirm that my PC spec isn't the issue either. I tried running osu! on Mesa3D OpenGL Software Rendering (It emulates upto OpenGL 3.x) and it runs good..although very laggy (4-10fps, of cource cuz software rendering) and online and options menu doesn't works.
Even if Mesa is able to "emulate" a higher OpenGL version and everything still works properly, that does not mean your PC's specs aren't the issue.

And as you've already figured out, it makes things much much slower. Down to a level that is completely unplayable, and there is no way around that.

tasnim_tamim wrote:

However I've seen someone who was able to run osu!latest on OpenGL 1.1 on compatibility mode. He was able to install and run osu!latest on compatibility mode without any issue on OpenGL 1.1 (Which is both older than mine and not meeting the required 2.1 version either).
Can you provide a link to where a person was able to do that? They were probably mistaken about their OpenGL version, and if they weren't you should ask them what magic they were conjuring up.

Compatibility mode just translates OpenGL ES (2.0 specifically I believe) calls to DirectX. OpenGL ES 2.0 is just a subset (kind of) of OpenGL 2.0, and you can't take a subset of something and expect that subset to be larger than the original thing (e.g. OpenGL 1.4 -> OpenGL ES 2.0, if that makes sense). I do not know how osu!'s code works specifically, nor would I say I'm extremely knowledgeable on this subject, so take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt (shouldn't be too wrong, though anyone can feel free to correct me if I've made a mistake), but the fact of the matter is that simply enabling compatibility mode will not work, as is evident by the fact that you've already tried it and it didn't work...
Topic Starter
MyAngelMegu

Death wrote:

Can you provide a link to where a person was able to do that? They were probably mistaken about their OpenGL version, and if they weren't you should ask them what magic they were conjuring up.
Here it is - https://old.reddit.com/r/osugame/commen ... h=5e0aab38

Thanks for your response.
Death
They probably have the wrong renderer/GPU selected in OpenGL Extensions Viewer. It's quite easy to get that to display Version 1.1. It is also incredibly unlikely they actually have a machine that's only capable of OpenGL 1.1 (seriously, it would have to be around 15 years old, probably more). Drivers can also get into a bad state from time to time, but a simple restart could even fix that, which might also explain their picture.

Unless you get their current specs, I'd have to go with those two possibilities.
show more