forum

[Proposal] Allow 1200 x 1920 images for storyboards

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xinnoh
Storyboard images must not exceed a width of 1920 pixels and a height of 1200 pixels.
This should be changed to also allow 1200 x 1920 images (vertical versions of the same image).
It is used to have images that vertically scroll from top to bottom or vice versa

The current workaround is to rotate the image 90 degrees so it's 1920 x 1200. Then in the storyboard, rotate it 90 degrees in the other direction.
It is stupid
Can we make it not stupid
UndeadCapulet
supporting this, i like not stupid
Noffy
the wording has been confusing for forever
it means width and height individually

@Oko remember my pm from 3 months ago??? see, i'm not the only one misled by it!!

it's that vertical scrolling images not exceed the width of 1920, and horizontal scrolling images not exceed the height of 1200.

so 1200 x 1920 is actually fine...

Noffy's Idea wrote:

Storyboard images must not exceed a width of 1920 pixels and a height of 1200 pixels. Vertically scrolling images may be any height, but are limited to 1920 pixels in width. Similarly, horizontally scrolling images may be any width, but are limited to 1200 pixels in height.
(note: the line " The storyboard editor works based on osu!pixels with an internal maximum width of 854 pixels and a height of 480 pixels. If you are using an image bigger than that, you may need to scale accordingly. " was removed from this idea as this line feels irrelevant to the rule and belongs in storyboarding based tutorials instead.)
pishifat
noffy's idea makes sense to me

i also dont know anything about storyboarding so that doesn't mean much lol
Okoratu
a bit of context:

there's no technical limitation, on how big storyboarded images can be.

we just thought putting a limit there was sensible as we rewrote that part

smoogipoo suggested 4096x4096 for single images to be the maximum for the sake of image loading times (so 16777216 pixels)

what should we set the limit to?
Okoratu
to add onto this: a limit was thought to be meaningful for the sake of loading times
id personally be fine with just setting a pixel max tbh wgat do we do?
Yumeno Himiko
limit of 4096x4096 would be nice for sbers, so they don't need to care much about the border of the size

actually, in many situations sbers use larger pics also for a higher resolution as 854x480 is a fake resolution in osu.
4096x4096 would cover nearly all scrolling situations imo, it makes sense.
Okoratu
thx for all the input that didnt happen, i'll just suggest changing that limit to a total of <=8^8 px² per image for the sake of loading times

to clarify what this would mean is less or equal to 8 to the power of 8 squarepixels per image

which is best illustrated by the following

if you'd need more right now you're probably insane anyways
Topic Starter
Xinnoh
can that number be simplified to like, 16 or 17 million so everyone can understand it
Okoratu
sure let's roll with 17 M

Storyboard images must not exceed an area of 17.000.000 square pixels to keep loading times of large images within sanity limits.
pishifat
assuming that's the proposed wording, 17mil should use commas instead of periods for separation because english does that. also "within sanity limits" --> "reasonable" because uh sanity limits sounds silly lol
Okoratu
Storyboarded images must not exceed an area of 17,000,000 pixels to keep loading times of large images within reasonable ranges for most machines to handle.
pishifat
merged lads