forum

"Finished" flag for graveyarded maps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Soaprman
I'm a casual player. When I download a map, I don't care if it's ranked or not. Especially if it's a song I like, I tend to enjoy it regardless. For this reason, I won't hesitate to download maps from the graveyard that interest me. The problem with graved maps though is that many are actually half-finished WIPs, abandoned maps from mappers using the editor for the first time, or both. In other words, they're bad.

I'm a casual mapper. I don't have the energy to go around asking for mods and pushing my way through a ranking process that slowly grows ever longer, and I like to map in ways that aren't always cozy with the ranking rules. When I finish a map, I'm fine with getting a mod or two and calling it done. But using this approach, my maps don't tend to get seen.

There's a way to bridge the two together, and that's allowing mappers to mark their maps as "finished" (probably just a checkbox when posting in the thread). Finished maps (maybe call them "finished graved maps" to distinguish from ranked maps) would be no different from other graved maps except they can be searched for separately. This way, players could search the graveyard for maps deemed finished by their creators and not have to dig through nearly as much chaff to get to maps that they might very well enjoy. And this would give some mappers (I know I am not alone) a slight way back into the system.

Reviving a graved map would remove its finished flag. Letting MATs/BATs toggle finished flags on maps might not be a bad idea either, in the case of old, good graved maps whose mappers have left the community.
bomber34
I think this is a great idea (I'm a hardcore player but i also LOVE many graved maps)
This would be cool but there is one "little" problem.
People who use this "checkbox" in a wrong way because they think the map is finished.
But that is just a minor complain :D

But to be honest ^^ I'm a mapper ,too (not decent but let's say newbie) and i only would upload my maps if i think they were finished.
There is one exception ^^ look at my graveyard but that's because i got a good idea for it but i can't do it yet.

This idea has my support but i doubt the idea will get far.
Topic Starter
Soaprman
Yeah, maybe some people would misinterpret or simply abuse the checkbox. That's fine. This isn't meant to be perfect.
Shiirn
people can submit unfinished maps to pending, that's hardly ddifferent
Topic Starter
Soaprman
Pending maps don't stay pending forever unless you keep bumping them, and then they take up an upload slot. It's not the same.

edit: might have misinterpreted your post. What post were you responding to?
palion
would be cool if used properly