forum

No mod vs HD

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zattano Zhed
Hi there! I'm a pretty new player that's been sucked into this game and can't escape, just like the rest of you.

As I have been browsing the forums at work, since I cant play here :( , I have noticed many discussions about how mods should NOT be used until x rank or x pp. While I fully understand that for HR (which was the main topic in those threads), I was wondering if everyone felt the same for HD. Like is it going to "ruin" my learning of fundamental skills, or is it really just a preference for this mod.

Personally, I feel like I have an easier time, and maybe enjoy playing more, with HD. I can listen to the music instead of watching the circles and tend to hit notes more accurately than I would without. And before you bash me with "accurate?!? you are awful w/ acc... blah blah". I know my accuracy is bad but I believe that to be mostly from my lack of skill with alternating my mouse clicks with out me just mashing the buttons. ex: spaced triples and whatever those mini streams are called in high 3 to low 4* maps. and yes I did say mouse clicks, I point and click with just the mouse.

Also a side question cause two birds one stone.

I just started playing some AR9 maps, or rather spent hours on a few that I enjoyed the song. the next day I went back to play random stuff and found that I was doing miserably at the AR8 (hitting everything a mile early). The question is do I even need to worry about that? should I focus on improving my accuracy on AR9 since the majority of maps use that in the 4* range? Should I be trying to play a mixture of them and just "get used" to the difference in them? Or do you think I should stay away from AR9 until later?
Caput Mortuum
Depends on your goal and current ranked maps.

If you are aiming to the top, reading ar9+ is all you need, since it's​ what the majority of top tier maps uses that.
If you want to be reading god like gn and such, then you need to practice on that field, playing with low ar or unintuitive patterns.

I'm currently learning EZ, but when I try to play nomod again, I was overwhelmed by the super fast ar 9. If you want to be good at both, you have to practice both too.
Realmas
For HD, it's just a preference, it won't slow your imrovement. If you enjoy HD, then play HD. But try to also to play a bit of nomod if you want to still be comfortable with.
And for the AR, it's the same thing for a lot of players, when you start AR9, AR8 becomes a pain. If you want to keep your AR8 skill, keep playing it, simply. I think you can play AR9, you just have to get used to it.
Caput Mortuum
and yes, HD is more of a preference, imo. There are people like you who prefer using it, and people like me who are terrible at it. It maybe objectively more difficult since the approach circle is gone, taking away the visual indicator. But then again, HD in mania is also objectively a handicap since it covers almost all of the screen at 500+ combo, and it makes playing SV heavy maps hard. But I still use it as my main mod and never took it off, since I can read better with it on. Majority of the o!m community agree that visual mod shouldn't giving any multiplier.
Topic Starter
Zattano Zhed
So it sounds like I'm fine to just carry on with the way I have been. As I do intend to reach higher in ranks at some point, I'll keep practicing on these AR9 maps and figure out how to stop being bad at fast alternating clicks! \o/ :lol:
Nattsun
Even though you don't need AR8 in the future I guarantee you that you'll miss out on a shit ton of insanely fun maps that are AR8. AR8 is definitely not useless, especially not in the stage of the game you are right now. It helps you a lot to actually read and tap to the beat (that rhymes 8-) ) instead of reacting to circles.

Every now and then I come back and play AR8 OD8 maps, usually nightcore music and if you get the hang of it you actually play a rhythm game. You'll come closer to the music and that feels incredible.

Back to your nomod vs HD thing: The answer is not black or white, you can play HD when you feel like playing HD. It doesn't change the map, it just challanges your shortterm memory and sense for rhythm. I'd recommend having a basic skillset (e.g. 98%ish accuracy on maps you want to play with HD, capable of reading doubles/triples/streams, etc.), but it's 100% up to you. I never play HD (or mods in general) and HD is probably the last mod I'll learn, because it's the easiest and I don't see any advantage of playing it right now.
Anemic Witch
If you play according to the music instead of whack-a-circle you won't lose ability to read slow AR. The main thing about high star low AR maps is that they contain gimmicks which are easy to read at AR9.8 (7 + HR) but almost impossible at AR7.
Sayorie
IMO improve acc first before trying HD. HD is like icing on nomod pp cake. However if your acc is bad in the first place, you might fare even worse when using HD.
Attenox
Just play what you like tbh
I like HD but since my rhythm sense is 0 and I only react to approach circles is pretty hard to play with it. However since I played for quite some time I can tell when I need to click based on the AR.
But yea I think you should play a bit more before moving on with mods, try improving your acc.
Topic Starter
Zattano Zhed

Master_chan wrote:

If you play according to the music instead of whack-a-circle you won't lose ability to read slow AR. The main thing about high star low AR maps is that they contain gimmicks which are easy to read at AR9.8 (7 + HR) but almost impossible at AR7.
Well the AR was more in regard to the 8 vs 9. I don't mess with HR unless it's like a 2* map. Also as I said in my OP I do feel like HD lets me focus on how things sound more than I can without. I'm sure with time I'll be able to hop around AR's just fine.

Sayorie wrote:

IMO improve acc first before trying HD. HD is like icing on nomod pp cake. However if your acc is bad in the first place, you might fare even worse when using HD.
The sad thing about this is I generally perform better (higher acc) with HD. What IS really killing my acc at the moment is coordinating my fingers to click in an alternating pattern for quick notes in succession. (triples, quads, streams) Which I know is just something my fingers will get used to over time. If you have tips for that other than the obvious "play more". I'd be pumped to try something out.

Cirno9 wrote:

Even though you don't need AR8 in the future I guarantee you that you'll miss out on a shit ton of insanely fun maps that are AR8. AR8 is definitely not useless, especially not in the stage of the game you are right now. It helps you a lot to actually read and tap to the beat (that rhymes 8-) ) instead of reacting to circles.
I definitely don't want to miss out. Since I posted I still play a few songs I enjoy in AR8 if they don't offer AR9. like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1018250&m=0 (I <3 this song).

On a side note, If anyone has a couple maps that might help in my muscle memory training for triples, quads and streams. I'd love to try them out. Ideally something that makes me focus on acc for short bursts and not something that is so harsh, I'd fail if I miss a few notes (high HP).