forum

Music Discussion Sub Forum [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
ddrXero64
Hello osu! staff. I'd like to request a music based discussion sub forum. Being a rhythm game, it's surprising not to be see this in the forum. I may have missed a thread though, but I don't seem to see it.

If you'd like to go a step further, youcould have smaller sub forums for different genres. But I wouldn't suggest this (though it's up to you), because like languages more and more genres would be requested, and some may end up being dead. Either way, it would be nice to have this. I listen to a wide array of genres, and I like to post new songs in each genre all the time. A youtube thread is too vague and common for that kind of focus.

Anyway, thanks in advance. If anything, I can definitely start up a lot of discussion. Though it's not needed, here are the genres I listen to currently and are up to date on (for the most part). The point is that I would definitely benefit a lot from a forum like this, and I could contribute a lot as well.

Electronic
  1. 8 Bit and Chiptunes
  2. Breakbeats
  3. Classic Hits (Better Off Alone, etc.)
  4. Dubstep (both clean and grimy, very grimy)
  5. Drum and Bass/Drumstep
  6. Gabber
  7. (UK) Hardcore/Happy Hardcore/Nightcore
  8. House/Electro House/Clubhouse
  9. Trance (not really)/J Trance (this one more)/ Hard Trance (definitely)
  10. Hardstyle
  11. Speedcore (some, mostly sharpnel though)
  12. Techno
Jazz
  1. Bebop
  2. Smooth Jazz (some, I don't like when it becomes Elevator Jazz)
  3. Latin Jazz
  4. Piano Jazz
  5. Samba (not really Jazz sometimes, but I'll put it here)
Orchestral/Instrumental (not too many subcategories really, I'm not into Classical, just like Final Fantasy Orchestral and stuff)

Pop
  1. K- Pop
  2. J- Pop
  3. Michael Jackson (he deserves his own category really, but I listen to some of the old stuff every once in a while)
Rock/Acoustic
  1. Acoustic Guitar
  2. Metal (very very little, but there is some I like)
  3. Old School/Classic Rock
  4. Punk Rock (some, but very little)
Rap/Hip Hop
  1. Freestyle/Underground Rap (the one that tell stories, and not boast lies. Mainly Eminem, Kid Cudi, Busta Rhymes, and the fine line between old school and the new crap, early 2000 stuff)
  2. R&B (when done right, nothing too mainstream)
  3. Old School (some really old stuff is fine)
By the way, this isn't some full list of all music genres. This is in fact all the genres that have something I like.
Azure_Kite
A music subforum seems like a cool idea, And it's already in a number of Forums I visit regularly. I think it would probably be better as a general art forum, with subforums for music, visual art, etc included.
Topic Starter
ddrXero64

Azure_Kyte wrote:

A music subforum seems like a cool idea, And it's already in a number of Forums I visit regularly. I think it would probably be better as a general art forum, with subforums for music, visual art, etc included.
Even better, and I completely agree. There are many discussion forums, but areas to express creativity seem a bit barren. An art forum, music discussion forum, music production forum (as I highly doubt no one here produces music, there are a lot of amateur musicians/producers out there in the community for sure!), and any other expressive outlet. I'd even push for a literature forum, because I write many fictional stories based on the community itself haha. I was writing (and still am I guess) a pokemon based story where each pokemon represented a notable person in one of my old communities. It was very elaborate, I would love to write and share fiction with the people of Osu! as well.

To Recap

Request for Arts Forum
Subforums are:
-Music, both the discussion and production
-Visual Art of all kinds (photography included as well, not just drawn or computer made art)
-Literature (I could contribute to this like crazy, I'm very much a writer as you can tell haha)

On a side note, and though I don't do this often, I can tell this is a good sized community. If any help is needed catering to this forum, I'd like to provide it if needed. Being a part of old forums, I understand that a lot of the proactive moderators/admins have things to do. I absolutely dislike asking to help, because I assume it's not needed if it hasn't been asked. But seeing how this forum could be somewhat significant to handle (if made, and only because this community, as said, is significantly large and active), it could pick up activity.

Thanks (again) in advance.
Hernan
Sounds great.
Jarby
I guess it's worth implementing this for a couple of months to see how it goes. If it just falls into disuse at that point, it can be removed.
MMzz

ddrXero64 wrote:

[*]Michael Jackson (he deserves his own category really, but I listen to some of the old stuff every once in a while)[/list]
Lol
Topic Starter
ddrXero64

Jarby wrote:

I guess it's worth implementing this for a couple of months to see how it goes. If it just falls into disuse at that point, it can be removed.
Exactly my thoughts. Don't knock it 'til you try it, but if you've tried and it doesn't work knock the **** out of it. I mean...

Anyway, hope this gets some attention. :)
adam2046
I was thinking of this recently. Although I don't know about having multiple sub forums, I think would just be best to leave everything under "The Arts" or something like that.
Topic Starter
ddrXero64
Yup, The Arts sounds great for a forum, but I've seen in this in other forums and I realize The Arts is a very broad topic. Audible, visual and literary arts are three huge concepts in a possible forum like this. Things could be hugely unorganized. I definitely wouldn't suggest one big forum, but if it happens like that it's fine I guess. I'm just speaking from observation and experience really.
adam2046

ddrXero64 wrote:

Things could be hugely unorganized.
It would keep the threads moving at a faster pace rather than each sub forum get bogged down with a heaps of "What's your favourite x" and other such 100 page threads.
-----
freakin' yes.
Topic Starter
ddrXero64
Hm, I think I'll leave it up to the staff to decide how they want to do it, if they do it. I can't say I agree with one huge forum, but I guess at least stickies would do. Music, Visual Art, and literature. Seeing that literature would be the smallest, literally one sticky/thread would be fine for that. Various threads for music such as New Releases and whatnot would be good, and Visual Art threads such as Post your computer made art or post your drawings would be a good start.

I guess I'm willing to see how a huge forum would work out, But I would definitely start like 2 or 3 main threads, literature being one of the most important ones (since it need only to stand alone as one big thread for the time being in my opinion). Literature shouldn't need an entire forum unless it gets busy.

I wonder if any staff member has seen this...not sure how feature requests work to be honest. o.O?
Natteke
Strongry support this.
dNextGen

Natteke wrote:

Strongry support this.
Dai
yes please
DerekMcD
Oh yes!!! That's what we really need. (It's been almost a year.)

+Support
Stefan
Idc, so support.
Mercurial
Good Idea.

Support.
DerekMcD
Great news!!! It's finally added.
Mercurial
/o/