forum

How to not "unconsciously" press the wrong button

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
fictionfact
So lately I've been playing taiko a lot and I can now handle songs around 4 stars

But my problem is that when I try to S a song, even though the song has lower level than the one I'm struggling with,
I always screw up in the middle of the song by "unconsciously" pressed the wrong button

In order to get an S, I thought that I need to have my sight closer to the hit-bar on the left,
this way, it's easier for me to get better accuracy,
but that makes me unable to read the notes properly because I'm left with a small space to "see" the notes.
thus, frustratingly, I always mess up in the single notes in between streams or patterns

It's like this,
kkd d d kkd (the taiko notes),
I would mistakenly pressed kkd "K" d kkd
and then *boom*, my combo is now broken and I now have to replay it again and again just to meet the same mistake I've made

I'm thinking that maybe I should stop my habit of focusing on the hit-bar,
but then my accuracy would drop significantly,
that's what I want to avoid considering that the goal I have is to get an S grade

I know that the problem is inside me, not the song, not the level, not the game, it's just "me",
and I think that a little more practice might get rid of this problem bit by bit,
but I can't help feeling so mad and frustrated everytime I messed up because of this,
it's not like I can't do it, it's just I always mess up in the worst way I could
practicing and practicing just doesn't seem to help...

Any idea what can I do to stop this misery?
Appelkatt
Stop playing Taiko to stop the misery. :D

I still do really dumb stuff like that. I don't think it ever really stops, but it stops becoming significantly less common as you get better at reading streams. This is my favourite dumb mistake I recently made.

I think it happens because when there is stress trying to follow a series of notes, your brain starts trying to read it faster and sometimes outright assuming notes through context - which usually works, but sometimes you'll slip-up. Just getting better at reading overall will inevitably improve it - in the linked video, I was stressed from sight-reading that map and wasn't mentally prepared for it to slow down, so even though it was slowing down my brain didn't communicate to my hands to slow down.
Topic Starter
fictionfact

Appelkatt wrote:

I think it happens because when there is stress trying to follow a series of notes, your brain starts trying to read it faster and sometimes outright assuming notes through context - which usually works, but sometimes you'll slip-up. Just getting better at reading overall will inevitably improve it - in the linked video, I was stressed from sight-reading that map and wasn't mentally prepared for it to slow down, so even though it was slowing down my brain didn't communicate to my hands to slow down.
So it's more like a lack of physical control while our mental adapts to the notes?
it's like "my mind had it correct the whole time, but my hands didn't have enough time to prepare for the notes" or something like that?
in other word, my hand would reflexively press a button to match the timing of the notes,
but my brain had yet to process the notes to send the information to my hand which was already pressing the button...?

If so, I think I may have to practice my reflexes... :?
PancakeReaper
OMG i have the same exact problem. I'm really glad im not the only one. XD

It happens to me after fast stressful parts like the kiai time. Because during kiai time the my brain can easily interpret 200bpm streams but then when it finishes and returns to 1/4 notes my brain is still reading notes really fast and this messes up my accuracy, and sometimes i even notice that my hand tries to play the note after it as a result of reading too fast.

It makes it even harder when the Approach rate of the notes get slower all of a sudden as well.

My personal tip for attempting to fix this is to try playing slower songs. Like anything 175bpm or below should be good enough. Then practice songs that like to mess around with the approach rate of notes. It seems to be working fairly ok for me so far, but no guarantee that it'll fix the problem completely though.

Hope this helps at all. :3
IControl
Try practicing with hidden or hard rock mods. Hidden forces you to look at the "middle" of your screen and learn the bpm. While hardrock mod increases od and sv which forces you to look more towards the right side of your screen while reacting faster and more accurately. I would recommend to play maps that you are comfortable with and try throwing these mods on them. Then gradually work your way up to your current skill lvl. I hope this is helpful :)