forum

Halozy - Genryuu Kaiko

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ Scarlet Red ]
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:51:53 PM

Artist: Halozy
Title: Genryuu Kaiko
Source: 東方Project
Tags: Touhou, Pop, Japanese, View of the River Styx, Komachi Onozuka
BPM: 173
Filesize: 7373kb
Play Time: 05:06
Difficulties Available:
  1. Reaper's Melody (5.62 stars, 1605 notes)
Download: Halozy - Genryuu Kaiko
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Another Genryuu Kaiko?!?!?!?!

I really enjoy spammy sliders so here you go, enjoy! (and don't die)

Changelog
- 8/6/2016 - Changed combo colors to better suit the background
- 8/6/2016 - Minor changes to aesthetics, will be working hard on that for the next few updates tho.
I hope you all enjoy this map I worked very hard on it over the course of a week. I need a lot of mods, though.
- 8/6/2016 - Way more aesthetic changes added thanks to mods. Going to be looking over the map on my own and correcting things (or simply remapping things. Hopefully I can make this look better and not worse!
- 8/7/2016 - Even more aesthetic changes, fixed. Thanks people for modding my map!
- 8/7/2016 - Hitsounded the ending a little better, added crashes and claps to make it more epic I think it worked.
- 8/7/2016 - Fixed a note that wasn't hitsounded.
- 8/8/2016 - Some more general fixes throughout the map that improve flow and generally look better aesthetically.
- 8/12/2016 - Worked on way more aesthetic changes throughout the map as well as normal mechanical changes. Will be adding more either later or tomorrow to this thing (at least I'll try ^^)
- 8/12/2016 - Fixed one really of DS note just before the first pre-chorus section.
- 8/12/2016 - When I was working with AIMod it was bugging out so much it made me remove certain notes... so I had to redo them in a different way since idk how I properly did them originally. Why, AiMod... why?

REDOWNLOAD IF YOU DOWNLOADED BEFORE 8/3
nhlx
friendly mod onii-chan desu

ctrl+a delete

good luck
Topic Starter
[ Scarlet Red ]

Raikozen wrote:

ctrl+a delete

good luck
Delete your life. Okay thanks.
nhlx

[ Scarlet Red ] wrote:

Raikozen wrote:

ctrl+a delete

good luck
Delete your life. Okay thanks.
at least mine is worth something
Plaudible
Not a mod, just wanted to comment a bit~ feel free to give kudos if it helps you.

I don't think you need to worry about your map being off the rails, it seems generally like a well-flowing stream map.

Generally, you have the rhythm down very nicely and it goes very well with that. Just a few areas like 03:07:239 (3,4) for example need fixing. However, in general, it feels like the aesthetics of it are very off.

The biggest aesthetic issues I see are:
-Neglecting how notes stack over each other, even if not 100% visible while playing.
-Not utilizing tools like blankets and such to enhance aesthetics.
-Making very randomly shaped streams.
-Not using sliders to compliment other sliders.

Gonna talk about each a bit and how I see them in your map.

I see in some places you attempted stacks like at 01:11:922 (7,3), but these don't add to aesthetics necessarily, as they are hardly noticeable due to the nature of the stream and how quickly it goes by. In our brain, we sort of remember where notes were, in a sense, and we find things more appealing if they have some sort of pattern, as that's what we are best at recognizing. As far as that goes, much of your map is very random and unorganized. Stacks like at 00:37:933 (2,5), 00:37:933 (2,5), 00:44:349 (1,6,1), and 00:50:419 (7,1) are harsh to see aesthetically, and they don't really bring anything to the map, which could be an issue you find with it. The overlapping is unattractive, plain and simple. I'd suggest, as I've learned from experienced mappers, to switch to AR 4 or 5 and then watch the map through. (switch back when done editing). Now, look at some other ranked maps in that same AR. You'll realize they are highly structured and have patterns that, in higher difficulty maps, aren't noticeable, but appeal to the brain due to the pattern-y nature. I suggest doing this sometime, and look at your overlaps. Avoid them! It'll make the map in general much more pleasant, aesthetically.

Blankets are one of the numerous tools to make your map more appealing. 00:46:083 (1), for example, could be blanketed by 00:45:390 (1,2,3,4,5). Doing things like this add to aesthetics. I'm not going into too much detail about it, but here are numerous ways to make your map more attractive, and make your streams better. https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/commen ... tics_2015/

I do like some of your streams like at 00:44:870 (1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5). They fit nicely and have purpose with the rhythm.
However, streams at places like 01:15:910 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4) are examples of awkward ones. When highlighted, you'll see the problem. The direction and overlap are an issue, again, which is what that earlier wall of text was about. An easy way to go about this is to use ctrl+shift+f. More on it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/commen ... tics_2015/. Basically, you can use sliders to make streams so it isn't such a hassle to make them perfect.

Also, as you'll read there, it talks about making sliders aesthetically pleasing. Areas like 01:30:997 (2,4) - certainly clash with each other. There aren't as many of these issues as the other few, but do look over your map for things like this.

Pleeeeease don't blow this off! Even if it may be criticizing your style and the map. Learning these ways to map aesthetically are huge in being successful with aesthetics. Look at Hollow Wings' version of this map, and you'll see that she paid close attention to aesthetics still while having completely unique mapping. Her slider shapes compliment other sliders, streams flow well with the music, and they are blanketed too in many places. This stream as an example:http://puu.sh/qryes/4fea6a5c97.jpg

Your map will improve infinitely if you put more work to the aesthetic aspects of it, I guarantee it :) Good luck!
Topic Starter
[ Scarlet Red ]

Plaudible wrote:

Not a mod, just wanted to comment a bit~ feel free to give kudos if it helps you.

I don't think you need to worry about your map being off the rails, it seems generally like a well-flowing stream map.

Generally, you have the rhythm down very nicely and it goes very well with that. Just a few areas like 03:07:239 (3,4) for example need fixing. However, in general, it feels like the aesthetics of it are very off.

The biggest aesthetic issues I see are:
-Neglecting how notes stack over each other, even if not 100% visible while playing.
-Not utilizing tools like blankets and such to enhance aesthetics.
-Making very randomly shaped streams.
-Not using sliders to compliment other sliders.

Gonna talk about each a bit and how I see them in your map.

I see in some places you attempted stacks like at 01:11:922 (7,3), but these don't add to aesthetics necessarily, as they are hardly noticeable due to the nature of the stream and how quickly it goes by. In our brain, we sort of remember where notes were, in a sense, and we find things more appealing if they have some sort of pattern, as that's what we are best at recognizing. As far as that goes, much of your map is very random and unorganized. Stacks like at 00:37:933 (2,5), 00:37:933 (2,5), 00:44:349 (1,6,1), and 00:50:419 (7,1) are harsh to see aesthetically, and they don't really bring anything to the map, which could be an issue you find with it. The overlapping is unattractive, plain and simple. I'd suggest, as I've learned from experienced mappers, to switch to AR 4 or 5 and then watch the map through. (switch back when done editing). Now, look at some other ranked maps in that same AR. You'll realize they are highly structured and have patterns that, in higher difficulty maps, aren't noticeable, but appeal to the brain due to the pattern-y nature. I suggest doing this sometime, and look at your overlaps. Avoid them! It'll make the map in general much more pleasant, aesthetically.

Blankets are one of the numerous tools to make your map more appealing. 00:46:083 (1), for example, could be blanketed by 00:45:390 (1,2,3,4,5). Doing things like this add to aesthetics. I'm not going into too much detail about it, but here are numerous ways to make your map more attractive, and make your streams better. https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/commen ... tics_2015/

I do like some of your streams like at 00:44:870 (1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5). They fit nicely and have purpose with the rhythm.
However, streams at places like 01:15:910 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4) are examples of awkward ones. When highlighted, you'll see the problem. The direction and overlap are an issue, again, which is what that earlier wall of text was about. An easy way to go about this is to use ctrl+shift+f. More on it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/commen ... tics_2015/. Basically, you can use sliders to make streams so it isn't such a hassle to make them perfect.

Also, as you'll read there, it talks about making sliders aesthetically pleasing. Areas like 01:30:997 (2,4) - certainly clash with each other. There aren't as many of these issues as the other few, but do look over your map for things like this.

Pleeeeease don't blow this off! Even if it may be criticizing your style and the map. Learning these ways to map aesthetically are huge in being successful with aesthetics. Look at Hollow Wings' version of this map, and you'll see that she paid close attention to aesthetics still while having completely unique mapping. Her slider shapes compliment other sliders, streams flow well with the music, and they are blanketed too in many places. This stream as an example:http://puu.sh/qryes/4fea6a5c97.jpg
Your map will improve infinitely if you put more work to the aesthetic aspects of it, I guarantee it :) Good luck!
May I say thank you TREMENDOUSLY for taking the time and helping me with aesthetics. I will truly 100% take time reworking the map constantly to see where I can improve the aesthetics and HOW I can. You've earned a Kudosu!
Ora
I noticed you want a mod that is more more in depth about problems with the map so here goes nothing:

To begin I want to say that a lot of the map's problems have to do with flow of the objects, specifically the placement. You do very well with mapping to the rhythm but you just need a breakthrough of not just placing objects randomly (that's what it looks like to me) and you'll be ranking maps in no time. When I give you suggestions in this mod I'm not telling you to do that exaclty, but I just want to show you my thought process.

First example:

right at the beginning 00:13:656 (8,1) - . It's a cool idea but the flow just doesn't feel appealing and is somewhat awkward.

I want to stay in the same area of the map and talk about this 00:13:829 (1,2) - You have this spacing. And then you have this spacing: 00:14:349 (3,4) - . I don't hear anything in the music that would make someone think they need to change the spacing. If you are going to change the spacing then it needs to be between these two objects (00:14:176 (2,3) - ) to split the pairs.

As for the pattern/placement of the objects, they seem very random and dull. The two sliders are different shapes and different angles (different angles are fine but it should make sense, not just be random).

Here is a suggestion of what I would do for both parts above:

1.) http://puu.sh/qrwKe/65d2be1060.jpg . It creates some flow when you are travelling from circle 8 to slider 1 and it also provides a clean blanket around circle 6

2.) https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5780031 . Moving on you can see what I did with Slider 1. I made it flow into the next single and then I simply copy/pasted 00:13:829 (1,2) - and then rotated it to add some flow and make the placement more appealing. There is a larger space between 00:14:176 (2,3) - now but that's fine because they are representing 2 pairs of sounds in the song. I won't go any further than that, but you get the picture.

Moving on,

00:18:338 (2,7,3) - This is another example of unappealing placement where you have overlap and you aren't really using the whole grid to place objects out more thoughtfully. Yeah its probably not unrankable, but you also don't want to constantly overlap things unless it makes sense to do so.

00:24:754 (8,1) - Similar flow issues, I won't really explain why but hopefully you can see.

01:17:644 (1) - I feel like this spinner should be mapped to, especially since it's extra difficulty. Same here 02:35:419 (1) -
Mainly because you mapped those same parts here 03:41:922 (5) -

03:42:615 (5,6,7,8,9) - make this a 1/8 reverse slider

04:02:731 (1) - I'm not a fan of this or the blank space after it. Either keep the spinner and map the blank space or just map it all.

04:49:898 (5) - NC,

04:50:072 (1) - Remove NC

04:54:060 (8) - NC

I think the ending jumps are very creative but I'm really not a fan of them. Specifically because 04:49:898 (1,8) - should be incorporated in the jumps in between somehow and same idea for the ones after it. Although the symmetry in this part is really cool and looks nice, playability will be a problem.

I won't go through the entire map for issues with placement and flow, but I'm hoping you get the picture. Try to use my suggestions to fix other parts like the ones I went over. 04:27:702 (1) - This part is a great example of where you start to flow so much better than before. Placement is starting to make sense and everything is more appealing to the eye. Eventhough it may take a lot of remapping to fix everything, I don't think it's impossible to get this ranked and I hope to see it there someday. Goodluck ! 8-)
Yahuri
alrighty, return m4m wheee

General
-add combo colors. suggestions: red, purple, grey, blue (basically what looks nice with the background)
-all the star difficulty (i assume) is coming from the streams, you should probably add more jumps in the non-stream sections. ill point out some places below.
-could add some custom hitsounds, the normal-hitnormal gets kinda annoying after streaming for so long
-kinda confused on how youre doing the NCs in some sections, look over that again

Aesthetics
SPOILER
Some of these suggestions may interfere with your style of mapping, so if they do, you can just ignore them.
-everything must look intentional
-approach circles are amazing
-copy paste is your best friend
-blankets: make sure the approach circles line up with every point on the blanket slider https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5780128. if the blanket is visually imperfect, especially during gameplay, you should fix it.
-spacing: what I like to do in my mapping style is use a set (or two) spacing between objects (for example, here is 1/2-beat approach circle radius between 2-5 and... 2-5 again lol https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5780099 so basically what that does is make the object spacing more consistent so that objects dont just look like theyre just dumped all over the place for no reason. I also make my overlap spacing consistent as well. there are exceptions ofc, this is just how i figure out where to put stuff if its near another object or sumthin
-this is a decent example of how i do spacing from your map (1,2,3) https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5780251 approach circle of 2 is the reference point. it is about the same distance from the head of 3, and the body of 1.
-try using geometrical shapes when applicable, "Create Polygon Circles" is a useful tool.
thats pretty much the basics for me, youll understand it better as you map more. study some mappers with styles that you want to emulate, and go on from there :)

Reaper's Melody
00:10:881 (3,4) - could make jump here, 4 has the highest pitch piano note of this phrase
00:12:442 - this section is pretty much devoid of jumps, add some in. this applies to other sections like this as well. some good spots: 00:13:656 (8,1) - 00:17:817 (8,1) - 00:19:205 (8,1) - 00:20:592 (8,1) - most of the measure starts work pretty well, so start with those
00:15:910 (3,4) - fix blanket
00:16:604 (5,6) - fix DS
00:34:985 (3,4) - i dont see a reason why you need to introduce this slider pattern right here (and it only happens once in this section). i think it would be better by just sticking to circles instead of using the 1/4 slider. otherwise, use this pattern more often in this section.
00:49:552 (4,5) - good jump spot
00:52:326 (5,6) - ^
00:57:528 (5,7) - stack
00:57:875 (6,7,8) - flow not great, the angle is very straight and makes 8 harder to hit (im not sure how to explain it but yeah)
01:00:823 (2,4,5,6) - DS?
01:56:141 (5,7) - stack on the tails
02:57:528 (1,2,3,4) - could make parallelogram
03:01:690 (3,4) - blanket?
03:37:933 (9,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6) - i think using geometrical shapes would benefit this section
04:50:072 (1) - the NC pattern you use for the rest of the song matches the pattern, but doesnt match the music. you might have to alter the pattern a bit (like move everything back 1 red tick or something, just test it out and see what works for you).

good luck!
Pandano
Okay, M4M that is! ^^ 5*+ maps usually struggle me but I tried my best to mod!
I'm more of an aesthetic person, so beautiful sliders really amaze my eyes. Also it will give nice flow.
So most of this mod is about placing circles and designing sliders, not much about beat problems. Hope you enjoy it ^^

Reaper's Melody
00:10:534 - The flow's going, so avoid placing circles that are too close to (2) and (3)
00:17:124 - Should mirror this (6), just like (5) as the two have the same length
00:15:910 (3,5) - Blanket these
00:19:205 (6,7,8) - Just in my opinion: Could make these a triangle
00:21:906 - Make this slider into 3 notes, remember to jump
00:30:476 - Mirror this one like (2)
00:35:505 (5,6,7) - These 3 are equally distant in length, consider making same distance among these (triangle could work)
00:42:962 - Same as above
00:54:580 - Mirror this like (1)
01:00:650 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - This one is spot on!
01:21:112 (1,2,3,4) - Great!
01:34:291 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - Could make these curve better (*)
02:02:037 (1,2,3) - These 3 need to space a bit since player may confuse it as short stream
02:13:135 - Making this one look just like (2) would be nice
02:51:979 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - Same as (*) above
03:01:690 (3,4) - Blanket these
04:04:119 - After the spinner, listen closely, you can add some more beats before the stream upcoming. These should prevent HP Drain (for ones that only have a small amount of HP left after that part)
04:37:143 - Fix blanket

Generally, your map has great beat and clever use of sliders in place of streams
Minor suggestions:
- Should have a variety of hitsounds, as Yahurl stated. (Some parts lack that, others are great already)
- There's no need a lot of anchor points for sliders, make only 3 - 4 anchor points. They will curve beautifully AH.
(Just that :P )

Overall, your beatmap is well-done in my opinion but yet to be improved a bit more so it can be ready.
Really looking forward to seeing it getting ranked and played worldwide. Good luck! :D

[/box]
Topic Starter
[ Scarlet Red ]

Yahuri wrote:

alrighty, return m4m wheee

General
-add combo colors. suggestions: red, purple, grey, blue (basically what looks nice with the background)
-all the star difficulty (i assume) is coming from the streams, you should probably add more jumps in the non-stream sections. ill point out some places below.
-could add some custom hitsounds, the normal-hitnormal gets kinda annoying after streaming for so long
-kinda confused on how youre doing the NCs in some sections, look over that again

Aesthetics
SPOILER
Some of these suggestions may interfere with your style of mapping, so if they do, you can just ignore them.
-everything must look intentional
-approach circles are amazing
-copy paste is your best friend
-blankets: make sure the approach circles line up with every point on the blanket slider https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5780128. if the blanket is visually imperfect, especially during gameplay, you should fix it.
-spacing: what I like to do in my mapping style is use a set (or two) spacing between objects (for example, here is 1/2-beat approach circle radius between 2-5 and... 2-5 again lol https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5780099 so basically what that does is make the object spacing more consistent so that objects dont just look like theyre just dumped all over the place for no reason. I also make my overlap spacing consistent as well. there are exceptions ofc, this is just how i figure out where to put stuff if its near another object or sumthin
-this is a decent example of how i do spacing from your map (1,2,3) https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5780251 approach circle of 2 is the reference point. it is about the same distance from the head of 3, and the body of 1.
-try using geometrical shapes when applicable, "Create Polygon Circles" is a useful tool.
thats pretty much the basics for me, youll understand it better as you map more. study some mappers with styles that you want to emulate, and go on from there :)

Reaper's Melody
00:10:881 (3,4) - could make jump here, 4 has the highest pitch piano note of this phrase
00:12:442 - this section is pretty much devoid of jumps, add some in. this applies to other sections like this as well. some good spots: 00:13:656 (8,1) - 00:17:817 (8,1) - 00:19:205 (8,1) - 00:20:592 (8,1) - most of the measure starts work pretty well, so start with those In my opinion I think the current jumps work so I think I'm going to keep them the way they are xD thanks for the suggestion tho.
00:15:910 (3,4) - fix blanket
00:16:604 (5,6) - fix DS
00:34:985 (3,4) - i dont see a reason why you need to introduce this slider pattern right here (and it only happens once in this section). i think it would be better by just sticking to circles instead of using the 1/4 slider. otherwise, use this pattern more often in this section.
00:49:552 (4,5) - good jump spot
00:52:326 (5,6) - ^
00:57:528 (5,7) - stack
00:57:875 (6,7,8) - flow not great, the angle is very straight and makes 8 harder to hit (im not sure how to explain it but yeah)
01:00:823 (2,4,5,6) - DS?
01:56:141 (5,7) - stack on the tails
02:57:528 (1,2,3,4) - could make parallelogram Decided to go with a different pattern, one that I prefered. Also placed the (2) in such a way the stream blanketed it.
03:01:690 (3,4) - blanket?
03:37:933 (9,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6) - i think using geometrical shapes would benefit this section
04:50:072 (1) - the NC pattern you use for the rest of the song matches the pattern, but doesnt match the music. you might have to alter the pattern a bit (like move everything back 1 red tick or something, just test it out and see what works for you). Personally I feel like the NCs are fine but if I get more complaints about it I'll change them.

good luck!
Thanks for your mod, whatever wasn't written in red I changed and applied to my map. I will definitely be reworking a lot of the map to get better aesthetics and improve it. Thanks so much for your mod and your time it's greatly appreciated! :)
Topic Starter
[ Scarlet Red ]

dunglssllssl wrote:

Okay, M4M that is! ^^ 5*+ maps usually struggle me but I tried my best to mod!
I'm more of an aesthetic person, so beautiful sliders really amaze my eyes. Also it will give nice flow.
So most of this mod is about placing circles and designing sliders, not much about beat problems. Hope you enjoy it ^^

Reaper's Melody
00:10:534 - The flow's going, so avoid placing circles that are too close to (2) and (3)
00:17:124 - Should mirror this (6), just like (5) as the two have the same length
00:15:910 (3,5) - Blanket these
00:19:205 (6,7,8) - Just in my opinion: Could make these a triangle
00:21:906 - Make this slider into 3 notes, remember to jump Unsure what you mean by here. But the whole general area of the map looks fine here so I'm going to keep it the way it is. Thank you though
00:30:476 - Mirror this one like (2)
00:35:505 (5,6,7) - These 3 are equally distant in length, consider making same distance among these (triangle could work)
00:42:962 - Same as above
00:54:580 - Mirror this like (1)
01:00:650 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - This one is spot on!
01:21:112 (1,2,3,4) - Great!
01:34:291 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - Could make these curve better (*) I just fixed the last slider, they look fine to me.
02:02:037 (1,2,3) - These 3 need to space a bit since player may confuse it as short stream
02:13:135 - Making this one look just like (2) would be nice
02:51:979 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - Same as (*) above I see what you're saying but to me they look cooler this way. Just my opinion.
03:01:690 (3,4) - Blanket these
04:04:119 - After the spinner, listen closely, you can add some more beats before the stream upcoming. These should prevent HP Drain (for ones that only have a small amount of HP left after that part) Just added a few notes there in triangle form in that case.
04:37:143 - Fix blanket

Generally, your map has great beat and clever use of sliders in place of streams
Minor suggestions:
- Should have a variety of hitsounds, as Yahurl stated. (Some parts lack that, others are great already)
- There's no need a lot of anchor points for sliders, make only 3 - 4 anchor points. They will curve beautifully AH.
(Just that :P )

Overall, your beatmap is well-done in my opinion but yet to be improved a bit more so it can be ready.
Really looking forward to seeing it getting ranked and played worldwide. Good luck! :D

[/box]
Thanks for your mod. Anything in red are things I didn't add but everything else was (or they could have been general comments about your suggestion). This map is already looking improved. Can't wait to update it some more!
Topic Starter
[ Scarlet Red ]

Ora wrote:

I noticed you want a mod that is more more in depth about problems with the map so here goes nothing:

To begin I want to say that a lot of the map's problems have to do with flow of the objects, specifically the placement. You do very well with mapping to the rhythm but you just need a breakthrough of not just placing objects randomly (that's what it looks like to me) and you'll be ranking maps in no time. When I give you suggestions in this mod I'm not telling you to do that exaclty, but I just want to show you my thought process.

First example:

right at the beginning 00:13:656 (8,1) - . It's a cool idea but the flow just doesn't feel appealing and is somewhat awkward.

I want to stay in the same area of the map and talk about this 00:13:829 (1,2) - You have this spacing. And then you have this spacing: 00:14:349 (3,4) - . I don't hear anything in the music that would make someone think they need to change the spacing. If you are going to change the spacing then it needs to be between these two objects (00:14:176 (2,3) - ) to split the pairs.

As for the pattern/placement of the objects, they seem very random and dull. The two sliders are different shapes and different angles (different angles are fine but it should make sense, not just be random).

Here is a suggestion of what I would do for both parts above:

1.) http://puu.sh/qrwKe/65d2be1060.jpg . It creates some flow when you are travelling from circle 8 to slider 1 and it also provides a clean blanket around circle 6

2.) https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5780031 . Moving on you can see what I did with Slider 1. I made it flow into the next single and then I simply copy/pasted 00:13:829 (1,2) - and then rotated it to add some flow and make the placement more appealing. There is a larger space between 00:14:176 (2,3) - now but that's fine because they are representing 2 pairs of sounds in the song. I won't go any further than that, but you get the picture.

Moving on,

00:18:338 (2,7,3) - This is another example of unappealing placement where you have overlap and you aren't really using the whole grid to place objects out more thoughtfully. Yeah its probably not unrankable, but you also don't want to constantly overlap things unless it makes sense to do so.

00:24:754 (8,1) - Similar flow issues, I won't really explain why but hopefully you can see.

01:17:644 (1) - I feel like this spinner should be mapped to, especially since it's extra difficulty. Same here 02:35:419 (1) -
Mainly because you mapped those same parts here 03:41:922 (5) - The reason why I'm keeping the first two is because it's a spinner build up. The other one was because it's towards the end and my goal was to make it easier in the beginning and way more challenging towards the end. To me it makes sense why I'd do something like that.

03:42:615 (5,6,7,8,9) - make this a 1/8 reverse slider Made (5) and (6) reverse sliders. Makes more sense according to the song.

04:02:731 (1) - I'm not a fan of this or the blank space after it. Either keep the spinner and map the blank space or just map it all. Mapped the blank space with a few notes

04:49:898 (5) - NC,

04:50:072 (1) - Remove NC

04:54:060 (8) - NC

I think the ending jumps are very creative but I'm really not a fan of them. Specifically because 04:49:898 (1,8) - should be incorporated in the jumps in between somehow and same idea for the ones after it. Although the symmetry in this part is really cool and looks nice, playability will be a problem.

I won't go through the entire map for issues with placement and flow, but I'm hoping you get the picture. Try to use my suggestions to fix other parts like the ones I went over. 04:27:702 (1) - This part is a great example of where you start to flow so much better than before. Placement is starting to make sense and everything is more appealing to the eye. Eventhough it may take a lot of remapping to fix everything, I don't think it's impossible to get this ranked and I hope to see it there someday. Goodluck ! 8-)
Thank you for the mod. In terms of the ending jumps they're really not that hard I've FC'd them a few times. I think they're fun and really don't want to change them. I'll keep looking over my map and fixing different things that make the map look poor. Thanks a lot, again.
-jordan-
I didn't read any of the other modders suggestions or your replies to them so I've most likely covered stuff others already have.

spoiler boxes make forum threads nicer
OD nerf to 8.5.

00:05:505 (4,1) - It doesn't make sense for these 2 to be the same shape so you could give 00:05:505 (4) - another intresting shape or have it mirror 00:04:812 (3) - .

00:43:482 (4) - Feels strange how far up this slider goes.

00:45:390 (1,2,3,4,5) - Nudge these to the right a bit so the stream looks nicer.

02:13:135 (1,2,3,4) - Same as 00:43:482 (4) - . Suggestion ( https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5796093 ) also looks nicer imo.

03:21:112 - to 03:32:211 - Vary this up with some sliders, for example switching out every other triple with a repeat slider.

03:42:442 (3,4,5,6) - This doesn't follow the song as well as it could. You are missing out on a finishing note at 03:42:962 - Suggestion ( https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5796133 ) The 1/4 jump after the repeat slider for the last note, then having a still cursor during the silence is really nice here.

04:55:448 - Switch to a different jumping pattern here, you used the back and forth on too much.

05:01:083 (1) - Extend spinner to 05:06:199 - since that is when the song actually fades fully out.

The 12 seconds before every kiai section (except last) - This mapping is way to similar to the style in the kiai sections. So leave this style just for the kiai sections and switch up the pre-chorus with a style which isnt as fast and doesn't have a note on every 1/4, like with the 12 seconds before the last kiai.

Also check your slider spam sections. Don't have jumps that are 'too' rediculous and if a sliders direction goes against the flow, don't have it the same distance jump as those that do go with the flow or you'll end up with inconsistant difficulty and jumps which people will always break on because if a stupid spike in difficulty.

You could hit ctrl+n in the editor then save it as well if you want. It will improve your map a lot.
Don't actually, knowing you, you probably would....
Topic Starter
[ Scarlet Red ]

-Jordan- wrote:

I didn't read any of the other modders suggestions or your replies to them so I've most likely covered stuff others already have.

[box=spoiler boxes make forum threads nicer [color=#FF0080:1337:1337]No they really don't lol.]OD nerf to 8.5.

00:05:505 (4,1) - It doesn't make sense for these 2 to be the same shape so you could give 00:05:505 (4) - another intresting shape or have it mirror 00:04:812 (3) - .

00:43:482 (4) - Feels strange how far up this slider goes.

00:45:390 (1,2,3,4,5) - Nudge these to the right a bit so the stream looks nicer.

02:13:135 (1,2,3,4) - Same as 00:43:482 (4) - . Suggestion ( https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5796093 ) also looks nicer imo.

03:21:112 - to 03:32:211 - Vary this up with some sliders, for example switching out every other triple with a repeat slider. I would but that's just a way of reducing difficulty and makes it meh imo. I prefer to keep it this way since it's a lot more fun to play.

03:42:442 (3,4,5,6) - This doesn't follow the song as well as it could. You are missing out on a finishing note at 03:42:962 - Suggestion ( https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5796133 ) The 1/4 jump after the repeat slider for the last note, then having a still cursor during the silence is really nice here. I like that idea but the problem is that your repeat slider is a lot slower than it should be. If you hear the background it drumrolls at a 1/8th pace which my two repeat sliders are at. I increase the end of the second repeat slider to add the crash in, but I'm thinking about keeping the rest.

04:55:448 - Switch to a different jumping pattern here, you used the back and forth on too much. Go look at Chaoslitz's Genryuu Kaiko before you talk to me about that repetitive ending. Plus lots of people like the ending right now so I'm going to keep it like that. The song doesn't change enough to allow that.

05:01:083 (1) - Extend spinner to 05:06:199 - since that is when the song actually fades fully out.

The 12 seconds before every kiai section (except last) - This mapping is way to similar to the style in the kiai sections. So leave this style just for the kiai sections and switch up the pre-chorus with a style which isnt as fast and doesn't have a note on every 1/4, like with the 12 seconds before the last kiai. See I would but it just makes it less hard and less fun. The reason why I did that was because I mapped what I enjoyed and so far a lot of people are agreeing with it so I'll keep them the way they are for now thanks for the suggestion though.

Also check your slider spam sections. Don't have jumps that are 'too' rediculous and if a sliders direction goes against the flow, don't have it the same distance jump as those that do go with the flow or you'll end up with inconsistant difficulty and jumps which people will always break on because if a stupid spike in difficulty. I'll check this out but I like the jumps currently so I might keep them.

You could hit ctrl+n in the editor then save it as well if you want. It will improve your map a lot.
Don't actually, knowing you, you probably would.... You're so right! I have an idea ctrl+A delete your difficulties. Would make your map look a lot better too :)
Thanks for your mod. Anything in red are things that I didn't think would fit my map (or just general comments).
Lully
so
m4m

00:01:344 (1) - maybe a shape like this? looks much better http://puu.sh/quwEZ.jpg
same for 00:02:731 (2) -

00:14:349 (3) - similar shape as 00:13:829 (1) - would be cool
00:17:991 (1) - move it a bit more lower so it wont overlap with 00:17:124 (6) -
00:21:286 (3) - make it symmetric
00:54:060 (1,2) - similar shape to 00:52:673 (7,8) - would be better
01:05:679 (4) - maybe smth like dis? http://puu.sh/quwYI.jpg
01:06:546 (1,2,3,4) - should be placed as an overlap here 01:05:679 (4) - ( example http://puu.sh/qux45.jpg )
01:43:135 (3) - http://puu.sh/qux8G.jpg looks not so cramped
04:05:505 - why u no kiai

idk what people say against this map
i like it lul

okrip
Topic Starter
[ Scarlet Red ]

CookieKivi wrote:

so
m4m

00:01:344 (1) - maybe a shape like this? looks much better http://puu.sh/quwEZ.jpg
same for 00:02:731 (2) -

00:14:349 (3) - similar shape as 00:13:829 (1) - would be cool I did the opposite of what you suggested. Made 00:13:821 a similar shape of 00:14:349
00:17:991 (1) - move it a bit more lower so it wont overlap with 00:17:124 (6) -
00:21:286 (3) - make it symmetric
00:54:060 (1,2) - similar shape to 00:52:673 (7,8) - would be better I don't think it'd work out simply reusing a similar shape to that so I think I'll keep it the same for now. Thank you.
01:05:679 (4) - maybe smth like dis? http://puu.sh/quwYI.jpg
01:06:546 (1,2,3,4) - should be placed as an overlap here 01:05:679 (4) - ( example http://puu.sh/qux45.jpg )
01:43:135 (3) - http://puu.sh/qux8G.jpg looks not so cramped
04:05:505 - why u no kiai

idk what people say against this map
i like it lul

okrip
Thank you for the mod xD. Really appreciate this and it helped me out a bit :). Hopefully with a few more of them I can ask for a BN mod xD.
Plaudible
M4M from your queue! NO KUDOSU FOR THIS MOD, you already gave me one for first page one and I'm just going into more detail on things, like outlining specifics and other rhythmic issues I find. :)
My map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/480736

_______

• Gonna point out some stacking issues I had trouble with, since they are quite visible (at least to me) the regular mod for the rest of the map is below all this.
    00:25:968 (4,2)
    00:28:049 (5,8)
    00:28:916 (8,3)
    00:31:517 (3,7)
    00:31:864 (4,8)
    00:33:078 (9,3)
    00:34:638 (1,7)
    00:34:985 (3,1) - This one may be okay, since they're far apart enough, but one to consider.
    00:37:933 (2,5)
    00:41:228 (4,3)
    00:43:482 (4,1)
    00:43:482 (4,2)
    00:49:031 (3,5)
    00:52:326 (5,8)
    00:54:580 (2,5)
    00:55:968 (7,1)
    00:57:528 (5,1)
    00:59:956 (5,3)
    01:01:864 (7,3)
    01:02:904 (4,7)
    01:04:812 (10,4)
    01:05:332 (2,5)
    I won't bug out over the streams too much, going to leave that up to you to decide, since it takes a lot of experience to make streams flow against each other well. Though, some of these suggestions ahead may affect them... I'll leave that up to you as well.
    01:21:286 (2,2)
    01:28:569 (11,7)
    01:29:956 (10,1)
    01:44:002 (5,4)
    01:49:205 (1,5)
    01:52:153 (2,5,6)
    01:52:846 (5,1)
    01:53:367 (8,3)
    01:56:141 (5,7)
    01:57:528 (8,3)
    01:58:222 (2,4)
    02:00:823 (6,9)
    02:03:771 (1,4)
    02:13:135 (1,3)
    02:14:349 (4,3)
    02:17:211 (9,1,3)
    02:21:112 (6,4)
    02:21:286 (7,6)
    02:22:153 (5,2)
    02:23:193 (2,4)
    02:26:141 (4,1)
    02:31:344 (2,3,4,7,8)
    02:32:211 (7,8,3,4)
    03:33:078 (6,10)
    03:34:118 (1,5)
    03:36:372 (1,6)
    03:37:413 (6,3)
    03:38:280 (2,1)
    03:38:627 (4,3)
    03:38:974 (6,5)
    04:26:488 (2,10)
    04:32:731 (10,2)
    04:35:505 (4,3)
    04:40:014 (11,3)
    04:41:401 (6,2)
    04:45:737 (1,5)

In general... the section from 00:23:540 (1) to 00:46:083 (1) feels very... easy. It's honestly something you could make more intense. It feels very easy compared to the rest of the map and is intense enough to justify greater difficulty.

00:10:708 (2,3) - I feel like this deserves more spacing, it matches the sudden change in pitch better.
    Also, I'm not sure if you were going for a blanket at 00:10:881 (3,4), but if you were you can blanket around the approach circle to make it better. Either close up the slider a bit more or increase the spacing some.
    00:13:309 (6,1) - ^ Improve blanket
    00:16:257 (4,6) - Stack the end of 6 with 4. Adjust 5 as necessary.
    00:21:806 (4) - Another option with this is to blanket it with 00:21:286 (3). In the end, it'll look like this: http://puu.sh/qzbNY/84bbe0c026.jpg I think this works better than stack, may throw off players when they're so close so suddenly. Also, included in image, blanket 00:22:153 (1) with the first curve of the slider. Adjust the slider as necessary if you choose to do this.
    00:22:673 (4,5,6,7,8,9,10) - No reason to really increase the spacing in the stream here. Improve the blanket on 00:22:326 (2) with the stream as well. Honestly, the shape is a bit odd. It feels like you're going for an arc then at the end you suddenly curve it up then cut it off. I'd just make it an arc.
    00:45:390 (1,2,3,4,5,1) - Blanket slider 1 into the stream.
    01:06:546 (1,2,3,4) - The spacing here in general just doesn't look right... Why not just do 0.1x or 0.2x DS and then snap them together?
    01:53:713 (1,2,3) - Did you want these blanketed? Use the previously mentioned tip to make this better.
    02:58:049 (4,5,6,7,8,9,10) - Example of a spot where you could use a slider to make a stream. (also, use blanket tip :) )
    02:58:916 (1,2) - You got symmetry here... but then you ruin it with 03:01:690 (3) :(
    03:01:690 (3,1,2) - Also, I'm guessing you wanted to blanket these, might wanna check again.
    03:12:789 (3) - This doesn't really fit the rhythm here
    03:21:112 (1) to 03:32:211 (1) - I really like how you mapped this section in general, but I can tell you handplaced these. Some could be improved by mapping with sliders to streams.
    03:42:442 (3,4,5,6) - This is terribly awkward to play. I'd just make it 1 reverse slider.
    04:49:898 (1) to 05:00:476 (5), I feel like the patterns are a good concept but poorly done. They should start on the white ticks to represent each new section, but you start each pattern on the section before in the song. (does that make sense? :x ) This should be moved around some. Base it around the white ticks, which is where each section "starts" and adjust your NCs accordingly.

Really love this song, good luck ^_^

btw, you didn't give cookiekivi kudos xd
Gus
heyy m4m from your queue!

Ctrl+Shift+A

General
I think you should improve your flow a little bit, I noticed a lot of unclean overlapping items, plus the doubles don't play well off the sliders; improve your stream angles too. this map is super cool and I love the kiai section! Best of luck my dude

00:22:673 (4,5,6,7,8,9,10) - ugly shape here, I think this stream needs more of a curve, also the spacing increase isn't necessary, I also suggest replacing note #10 with a SV changed slider that ends on 00:23:388

00:26:315 (5) - make this into a white->red slider bc you're missing a sound on the red tick right after and stacks like that aren't too great

00:44:870 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - I think kicksliders would fit this particular sound better and would help accentuate these notes: 00:45:390 (1,2,3,4,5)

01:00:130 (6) - maybe its just me, but this song is super cool and would benefit from a variety of sliders! I've seen this particular slider used a lot and I'm only a minute in, idk, try to vary it if possible yo

01:17:644 (1) - these sounds here in the slider are waaay too cool to skip like that! give that part some justice haha

01:19:725 (1) - angle of slider rly doesnt roll of stream nicely here

01:23:020 (8,1) - notice how the sliders make you jump slightly but then you can just easily roll off this slider into a connected stream? I think you should space all the stream starts in the map consistently with how you've been spacing the sliders in kiai section, you can't have them roll off like that, it kills major momentum and is a pretty big inconsistency

01:45:043 (4,5,6) - really poorly made here, redo it

02:19:378 (7,8,9) - ^

02:35:419 (1) - again skipping really cool sound!

02:45:563 (5,6,7) - odd angle

02:55:708 (4,1) - fix this transition, its way too sharp compared to the rest of the stream

03:42:442 (3,4,5,6) - plays poorly, do something like

(replace 3/4 with a slider)

04:31:517 (4,5,6) - odd angle

04:31:864 (6) - skipped nc here

04:35:505 (4) - stack w 04:36:372 (3)

04:55:100 (6,7,8,9,10) - ugly pattern

good luck with the map! I think you just need to improve it visually and make sure the streams flow well! Take a look at the other modder's thoughts on your stacking objects, that will surely help too!

Best of luck with the set homie
Topic Starter
[ Scarlet Red ]

Plaudible wrote:

M4M from your queue! NO KUDOSU FOR THIS MOD, you already gave me one for first page one and I'm just going into more detail on things, like outlining specifics and other rhythmic issues I find. :)
My map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/480736

_______

• Gonna point out some stacking issues I had trouble with, since they are quite visible (at least to me) the regular mod for the rest of the map is below all this.
    00:25:968 (4,2) - I don't see a stacking issue here?
    00:28:049 (5,8)
    00:28:916 (8,3)
    00:31:517 (3,7) - In my opinion this stack looks fine. It's the best you can get it anyway.
    00:31:864 (4,8)
    00:33:078 (9,3)
    00:34:638 (1,7)
    00:34:985 (3,1) - This one may be okay, since they're far apart enough, but one to consider. I think I'll keep it. It looks fine since they are indeed fairly far apart.
    00:37:933 (2,5)
    00:41:228 (4,3)
    00:43:482 (4,1)
    00:43:482 (4,2)
    00:49:031 (3,5)
    00:52:326 (5,8)
    00:54:580 (2,5)
    00:55:968 (7,1)
    00:57:528 (5,1)
    00:59:956 (5,3)
    01:01:864 (7,3)
    01:02:904 (4,7)
    01:04:812 (10,4)
    01:05:332 (2,5)
    I won't bug out over the streams too much, going to leave that up to you to decide, since it takes a lot of experience to make streams flow against each other well. Though, some of these suggestions ahead may affect them... I'll leave that up to you as well.
    01:21:286 (2,2)
    01:28:569 (11,7)
    01:29:956 (10,1) This one I can't change, it'll break that part of the map and make it weird so I think I'll just leave it.
    01:44:002 (5,4)
    01:49:205 (1,5)
    01:52:153 (2,5,6)
    01:52:846 (5,1)
    01:53:367 (8,3)
    01:56:141 (5,7)
    01:57:528 (8,3)
    01:58:222 (2,4)
    02:00:823 (6,9)
    02:03:771 (1,4)
    02:13:135 (1,3)
    02:14:349 (4,3)
    02:17:211 (9,1,3)
    02:21:112 (6,4) I have to keep the ones in these patterns. I don't think these will matter too much during gameplay anyway.
    02:21:286 (7,6)
    02:22:153 (5,2)
    02:23:193 (2,4)
    02:26:141 (4,1) Another one I can't really fix as of now.
    02:31:344 (2,3,4,7,8) Couldn't find a valid fix, I might go through these again a little bit later
    02:32:211 (7,8,3,4)
    03:33:078 (6,10)
    03:34:118 (1,5)
    03:36:372 (1,6)
    03:37:413 (6,3) I'd like to keep the pattern the way it is
    03:38:280 (2,1) ^
    03:38:627 (4,3) ^
    03:38:974 (6,5) ^
    04:26:488 (2,10)
    04:32:731 (10,2)
    04:35:505 (4,3)
    04:40:014 (11,3)
    04:41:401 (6,2)
    04:45:737 (1,5)

In general... the section from 00:23:540 (1) to 00:46:083 (1) feels very... easy. It's honestly something you could make more intense. It feels very easy compared to the rest of the map and is intense enough to justify greater difficulty. I suppose but I wanted to make this song go from easy, to challenging. So I wanted to start it off easy.

00:10:708 (2,3) - I feel like this deserves more spacing, it matches the sudden change in pitch better.
    Also, I'm not sure if you were going for a blanket at 00:10:881 (3,4), but if you were you can blanket around the approach circle to make it better. Either close up the slider a bit more or increase the spacing some.
    00:13:309 (6,1) - ^ Improve blanket
    00:16:257 (4,6) - Stack the end of 6 with 4. Adjust 5 as necessary.
    00:21:806 (4) - Another option with this is to blanket it with 00:21:286 (3). In the end, it'll look like this: http://puu.sh/qzbNY/84bbe0c026.jpg I think this works better than stack, may throw off players when they're so close so suddenly. Also, included in image, blanket 00:22:153 (1) with the first curve of the slider. Adjust the slider as necessary if you choose to do this.
    00:22:673 (4,5,6,7,8,9,10) - No reason to really increase the spacing in the stream here. Improve the blanket on 00:22:326 (2) with the stream as well. Honestly, the shape is a bit odd. It feels like you're going for an arc then at the end you suddenly curve it up then cut it off. I'd just make it an arc.
    00:45:390 (1,2,3,4,5,1) - Blanket slider 1 into the stream.
    01:06:546 (1,2,3,4) - The spacing here in general just doesn't look right... Why not just do 0.1x or 0.2x DS and then snap them together?
    01:53:713 (1,2,3) - Did you want these blanketed? Use the previously mentioned tip to make this better. I think they look good already.
    02:58:049 (4,5,6,7,8,9,10) - Example of a spot where you could use a slider to make a stream. (also, use blanket tip :) )
    02:58:916 (1,2) - You got symmetry here... but then you ruin it with 03:01:690 (3) :(
    03:01:690 (3,1,2) - Also, I'm guessing you wanted to blanket these, might wanna check again.
    03:12:789 (3) - This doesn't really fit the rhythm here If you look at almost every other Genryuu Kaiko map they do something similar.. and for good reason if you just randomly have one part that just changes it would become weird.
    03:21:112 (1) to 03:32:211 (1) - I really like how you mapped this section in general, but I can tell you handplaced these. Some could be improved by mapping with sliders to streams. I did that but I also re-hitsounded that part to make it fit better with the drums.
    03:42:442 (3,4,5,6) - This is terribly awkward to play. I'd just make it 1 reverse slider. I thought it was fine and a lot of sightreader did it well... and making it one reverse slider is boring but I'll do it I guess.
    04:49:898 (1) to 05:00:476 (5), I feel like the patterns are a good concept but poorly done. They should start on the white ticks to represent each new section, but you start each pattern on the section before in the song. (does that make sense? :x ) This should be moved around some. Base it around the white ticks, which is where each section "starts" and adjust your NCs accordingly.

Really love this song, good luck ^_^

btw, you didn't give cookiekivi kudos xd
I THOUGHT I DID GAAAH. Thanks. Also... I'm giving you another Kudosu star :)

Anything in red were either comments or things I was concerned about that I may have not done. Really though, thanks a ton for the mod you're amazing dude! I literally worked nonstop on this and checked over everything. Thanks man. Good luck with your map I doubt I was as helpful as you were xD.
Imakuri
Hi, NM request from my queue.

[General]
  1. Everything seems ok.
[Reaper's Melody ]
  1. Not a bad diff, but I think there's some errors to fix.
  2. 00:06:893 (1,2) : Here per exemple. I played it, and I think that is not great to play. Try to do some pretty clean sliders like this > http://puu.sh/qAPvi/4214593cc0.jpg
  3. 00:13:049 : I think you should put that double-tap directly after the slider. I mean, it's not great to play. You could try to put it like this > http://puu.sh/qAPz0/74a5582737.jpg
  4. 00:13:309 : Then after, you could put the circle at x:276 y:229.
  5. 00:13:829 : Blanket with the circle n°6 of the previous combo.
  6. 00:22:673 : Argh, I think this stream is not neat and clean. Try to make a space stream, it's better nah ?
  7. 00:22:673 : NC btw.
  8. 00:23:540 : Blanket.
  9. 00:45:390 : A stream more spaced could be cool.
  10. 00:49:898 : NC.
  11. 00:51:806 (3,4,5) : This pattern is just awful. It's not neat, I couldn't played it well.. I really don't know how can you update it tho.
  12. 01:01:864 : make a good blanked with the next slider please.
  13. 01:03:771 : NC.
  14. 01:40:448 : Stream more spaced could be pretty nice..
  15. 02:03:078 : ^
  16. Rest is fine.
show more