forum

[Archived] Menu auto-scrolling through songs with joystick plugged in

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Notuom
Hi everyone,

I just bought Donkey Konga bongos for the GameCube. I have a perfectly fine GameCube adapter so I naturally thought I'd play the Taito mode on osu! with the bongos.

Problem:
Unfortunately, the song selection menu scrolls from top to bottom automatically whenever the bongos are plugged in. I can configure the actual drum buttons and use them correctly when in-game, but it makes song selection frustratingly hard. I'm pretty sure the Z Axis / Z Rotation / Slider are the culprits.

What I tried:
  1. Adding Joystick = 0 to my osu!.user.cfg file. No luck, but anyway, it seems this config might not be of any use anyhow.
  2. Using X360ce to try and make the game detect only the buttons I want to use, not the unused axes. This didn't work because apparently osu! deletes the "xinput1_3.dll" file which X360ce creates. I'm sure there's a good reason for that.
What I think the fix would be:
Having a way to completely disable joystick support would be a great option. I could then use some program to map joystick keys to keyboard keys and use those in the Taito mapping on osu!. osu! doesn't have to know about the joystick at all in this case.

Another option would be to turn off the automatic "hey, you have a joystick with an analog so let's use that for song selection". I can see how in most cases this might be a good thing, but not every controller ever is mapped the same way.

If anyone has a quickfix involving any trick that doesn't involve patching the game, please let me know, as I'd just like to be able to play a bit and I don't mind fiddling around if need be.

Screenshot showing the problem (in the USB Controllers properties on Windows 10):

osu! version: 20160525.2 (latest)

P.S. I've seen other similar threads by searching around, but none of them with a fix for my specific use case. The "auto-scrolling" seems to be related to other things in most cases, or the person didn't actually need to use the joystick. But feel free to point be to other threads if you think it might help.

Thanks!

Notuom
Topic Starter
Notuom
Here's some more information that could maybe help make this bug confirmed. To show I've done my homework. Please tell me if for some reason this bug report is not adequate.

There is a very similar confirmed bug, although not identical because it can be fixed by just pressing keys in a different order and has nothing to do with joysticks. So either it could be enhanced to include the joystick bug or the joystick bug could be filed separately. As a developer, I'd prefer the latter because the cause is unrelated.

Threads about scrolling unrelated to joystick
  1. Confirmed bug thread which has the same bug but very different cause : t/299015
  2. Duplicate of the above : t/260044
  3. Similar problem : t/273773
There was also a thread with someone seemingly having the same problem as me, joystick and all, but it's 2 years old, archived and marked as resolved for some reason, even though the person never said it was fixed for him.

t/183353

A lot of those posts have someone eventually saying "disable joystick support". Is this still something that can be done? I can't find it when searching the options.

This page says it exists but only for osu!mania : https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Options

This page says there's a Joystick support option called "Joystick" which can be put in the user configuration file, but as I noted above, it didn't disable joystick support (I put "Joystick = 0" in the cfg file). https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/User_configuration_file

EDIT

I tried calibrating the joystick in order to re-center the axes, but it didn't change a thing.