forum

[Archived] I can't open in-game links with Chrome

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079
When I open an in-game link such as a beatmap download page from multiplayer, my browser crashes. This only happens on osu! (links on Steam, for example, work fine) and it doesn't happen if the browser was already opened (it just successfully opens a new tab).

The crashed browser only shows that black screen even on new tabs and needs to be restarted to work again. Disabling extensions doesn't fix it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Things I've tried: disabling all extensions, clearing cache, cookies, etc, deleting my user profile, resetting my chrome://flags, disabling antivirus and firewall. Other browsers don't have this issue.

osu! version: 20160203.1cuttingedge
Pawsu
Can you try making another browser such as Firefox default and try?
Try on stable too.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

Pawsu wrote:

Can you try making another browser such as Firefox default and try?
Try on stable too.
It works fine on other browsers and it still crashes on stable with Chrome
Pawsu
Try clearing cache, cookies, etc.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

Pawsu wrote:

Try clearing cache, cookies, etc.
No luck
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079
Bump. I tried deleting my user profile yet it still happens :/ this makes no sense...
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079
Bump.

Edit: oh it has been marked as archived, ok then
VeilStar

Default wrote:

Bump.

Edit: oh it has been marked as archived, ok then
Moved back.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079
Thank you, I'd also like to add that disabling the antivirus/firewall didn't help either, it's so weird that this only happens when opening links from osu! and not from anywhere else, and that it only seems to be happening to me
VeilStar
Have you tried running chrome without any extensions yet to rule out those causing the issue? Also, is the "Continue running background apps when google chrome is closed" setting (under advanced settings) enabled?
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

VeilStar wrote:

Have you tried running chrome without any extensions yet to rule out those causing the issue? Also, is the "Continue running background apps when google chrome is closed" setting (under advanced settings) enabled?
Yes, I tried disabling all extensions and the problem persisted. The setting you mentioned is currently disabled.
peppy
Sounds like you're running osu! as admin or something weird.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

peppy wrote:

Sounds like you're running osu! as admin or something weird.
I'm not. I also tried resetting my chrome://flags settings with no luck.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079
Yay! it stopped happening after switching from Chrome (stable) to Chrome Beta.
Pawsu
What a strange problem o.o I wonder what it was, but glad it's resolved.
Did this happen with any other games?
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079
Only with osu!, but for some reason Chrome (both versions) causes my CPU temps to rise like crazy when it starts running, and then they go down again to their usual temps. I thought this only happened with in-game links but after some testing I realized it happened most of the time no matter how I open it. So chances are it was caused by my CPU because it was overloaded. I have no idea why Chrome Beta fixed the crashes though, but oh well :D

Edit: nope, the CPU problems are caused by extensions and the black screen bug happened no matter if they were disabled or not. Weird.