forum

New mapping video tutorials

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sakura
I made a new thread because i don't think they can be considered official yet, plus i would like some feedback (no more feedback regarding quality please, these tutorials are to help new mappers)
Ok, i've made some tutorials which i hope can help everyone on making their own beatmaps:

Part 1
  1. Importing a new mp3
  2. Things to know before importing the new mp3
  3. Some timing tips
Part 2
  1. Checking Multi-BPM/Offset (A trick to know if it exists or something of the sort)
  2. Adding Kiai Time
  3. Setting Preview Point
Part 3
  1. Song Setup
  2. Adjusting Red line without altering root offset
  3. Adding a background
Part 4
  1. Basic Editing Part 1 (includes hitsounding)
  2. Kiai Time effect
Part 5
  1. Basic Editing Part 2
  2. Breaks
  3. Bookmarks
  4. Submitting
  5. Creating another difficulty
If any BAT/MAT to add an annotation forum PM me and i'll give the link to the annotation editor, if there is something else I may have missed and it needs a new video forum PM me as well and i'll record a new video for that.
Hope this is helpful for everyone.
Edit: If there are grammar issues or something just IRC chat with me and tell me where it is so i can fix it, as annotations can always be edited.
KRZY

Sakura Hana wrote:

If any BAT/MAT thinks that something should be added in an annotation forum PM me and i'll give the link to the annotation editor, if there is something else I may have missed and it needs a new video forum PM me as well and i'll record a new video for that.
Hope this is helpful for everyone

D:

B...but what about non-MAT/BAT members who want to contribute? ;_;
Topic Starter
Sakura
Just comment on the video =P
The reason i have for this is that i only want to allow direct interaction with the annotations to the MAT/BAT
Kitsunemimi
:< LD audio quality is too much for me...
And.. I know the information in these tutorials are accurate but... Those annotations are boring. And they're long. And some people have annotations turned off altogether. A voice-over would've been nice, even if it's not possible on your own, I would be expecting it if this were an official tutorial. I mean, the video's great and all, but it's just lacking some stuff... (auuughh audio quality) that makes it not as great as an official video tutorial which we need so badly.

inb4 YouTube's not done processing audio after so long
Lunah_old
well done
Jarby

Harris73 wrote:

A voice-over would've been nice
I'll do it!
adam2046
Watched parts of the first two videos.
Slowing down a song to 25% does not make for accurate timing :(
Also I think your offset might be off in that second video. Not that it's very easy to tell with the audio quality...
Topic Starter
Sakura

Harris73 wrote:

:< LD audio quality is too much for me...
And.. I know the information in these tutorials are accurate but... Those annotations are boring. And they're long. And some people have annotations turned off altogether. A voice-over would've been nice, even if it's not possible on your own, I would be expecting it if this were an official tutorial. I mean, the video's great and all, but it's just lacking some stuff... (auuughh audio quality) that makes it not as great as an official video tutorial which we need so badly.

inb4 YouTube's not done processing audio after so long
Blame my stereo mix recording software >_< also i don't have a mic, look at it from the positive side, the annotations can be edited to add new information in case it needs it.

adam2046 wrote:

Watched parts of the first two videos.
Slowing down a song to 25% does not make for accurate timing :(
Also I think your offset might be off in that second video. Not that it's very easy to tell with the audio quality...
That's how i time songs, and it's usually accurate or close to accurate Considering people never have trouble with my offsets anymore

Thanks for all the feedback, i mean as long as this helps new mappers i'm happy
jericho2442
(this can never be official since a copyrighted song was used within this video for the making) last thing peppy wants to do is go OK!!! to stuff like that for a video, since that is the image it would send out :X

2 things before i finish watching these

If any BAT/MAT thinks that something should be added in an annotation forum PM
thats stupid, osu is based around it users, so you should let anyone who knows there stuff about modding/mapping help to improve these. there is lots of none staff what is just as good as the staff

the MAIN thing though is WOW BAAAAAD QUALITY video's

if i was a youtube user and came across your video's im sorry to say this but i would insta leave for the sake of my ears

osu! is about music, that has gotta show even in the videos you make, having them this bad will not do at all
also not having voiceover's makes this feel very rushed and completely not professional

im sorry but i advise to start again, get someone to voice over and also get these encoded into MUCH better quality.

you couild of just come to me, and i would of made them 1080p ;_;
Topic Starter
Sakura
Sorry about bad audio quality, not really much i can do about that until i get a better computer that doesn't lag with a decent recording program T_T
Also i only want to allow direct interaction with the annotations to the MAT/BAT, any guest annotator cant edit any other person's annotation, although me as the uploader can delete any annotation, so it is safe.

If it's that bad i may just remove the videos all i wanted was to help new mappers, not people complaining about my recording quality T_T
jericho2442
dont get me wrong, these tuts are a good idea, and with some changes they will be good for new mappers ;)
Feno_old
Audio quality is good enough, it could be hell of alot worse, and seeing as the purpose is to teach mappers the basics it doesn't ruin the point of the video.

Just a tip: Annotations don't make very good covers for PMs :D

It would be cool to see some more advanced stuff though.
Topic Starter
Sakura

Feno wrote:

Just a tip: Annotations don't make very good covers for PMs :D
I know lol XD
maay
If you want to add voice-overs for the next videos, that's ok, but unlike the current official videos, add subtitles as well or at least keep giong with the annotations. That is, unless you want to help only the ones with fluent English.

Most people can manage themselves through reading English, but understanding it by ear is on a completely diffferent level.
Rolled
That's okay we need more english songs in osu anywho
NatsumeRin

SuperMaay wrote:

Most people can manage themselves through reading English, but understanding it by ear is on a completely diffferent level.
another thing, why bookmarks is in part 5? it should be in part 2 and works as a reminder to the mapper himself/herself, not a part 5 thing to let other guys know "oh here's a bookmark"
Firo Prochainezo
This.

Other than that, I think you did a good job, but the quality of the video should have been higher. :)
besh_old
what is the name of the program that i can with it create a beat map . . . . . . . . . . .waiting for you people! :?
Topic Starter
Sakura
You don't need a special program, just go into edit mode within the main menu
-Keitaro
Oh Thanks !
show more