forum

[Archived] How do I get the perfect offset for my beatmap?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
gman
I always end up getting more or less than the actual offset. Most of the time I analyze another mapper's map with the same song that I want to use and check his/her timing settings. When I try to find the timing myself, I always seem to get a slightly higher offset than what the mapper got. By "slightly higher" I mean something like a 20-30ms difference. My main problem is that I can't feel the difference between the mapper's and my offset settings. Do you guys have any tips, hints, solutions on how to fix this problem? How do you guys find your perfect offset? Do you "feel" it? Or do you have any other tricks? I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me on this one.
VeilStar
If you can't accurately feel the offset in the editor there's a few things you could try:

Use 75 or 50% playback speed (bottom right in the editor) as it may help checking the offset for you.

Change the volume effect and audio volume levels so that one doesn't overpower the other, hopefully making it easier to hear if the offset is correct. (You can get a handy dandy window with volume sliders open from a menu in the editor.)

Set the playback speed to 25% and zoom in the timeline at the top as much as you can, and try to pauze it when the note starts and set the offset to exactly where you paused. Do this a bunch of times untill you get it spot-on.

Play the map (not in the editor) with high AR and OD (AR10 OD10 for me) and see if the offset is correct that way. This does require skill that you may or may not have, but for me this usually does wonders in getting a correct offset.