forum

[Archived] Windows 10 tablet issues (forced Raw input?)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HitCoder
Problem Details:

I tried to apply the NoDTToDITMouseBatch fix to windows 10 - obviously the patches are for 8.1 not 10, but I still have the cursor stuttering issue, I cannot change my sensitivity from 1x to anything less.

osu! version: 20150826.3 (latest)

Windows 10 64 bit, 64 bit processor, Huion H610 tablet. (upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, issue not present in windows 7)
I understand this is not a fault of the game, but rather a fault of windows 10, but is there any fix? I have added the NoDTToDITMouseBatch flag to osu's executable in RegEdit, and that seemed to do nothing.

Thanks in advance.

HitCoder
TheVileOne
osu! uses raw input on 8+ to avoid this issue. You don't need to modify the registry. Your tablet may not support raw input though. In that case, your reg fix would be the only solution.

Do you have the latest drivers for your tablet? Maybe the drivers will provide raw input support.
Topic Starter
HitCoder

TheVileOne wrote:

osu! uses raw input on 8+ to avoid this issue. You don't need to modify the registry. Your tablet may not support raw input though. In that case, your reg fix would be the only solution.

Do you have the latest drivers for your tablet? Maybe the drivers will provide raw input support.
I need the driver to actually modify my active area, so the answer is no. If I reduce the sensitivity in raw input it will reduce how far the cursor moves, which is a pain. thanks for the help though, I'll investigate :/
Pannari
Why have you not installed it?

You can find the driver for your tablet here.
Bara-
If you want a smaller active area, you should have a higher sensitivity with raw input
A smaller sensitivity makes the 'area bigger'
Topic Starter
HitCoder

Pannari wrote:

Why have you not installed it?

You can find the driver for your tablet here.
I think you misinterpreted what I said; I need the driver to modify the active area, so "no it does not support raw input"
I'm sincerely sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn't clear in my post.

If it does support raw input then I don't know how to enable that setting, the driver settings are very basic and limiting.
Topic Starter
HitCoder

Baraatje123 wrote:

If you want a smaller active area, you should have a higher sensitivity with raw input
A smaller sensitivity makes the 'area bigger'
I have a small active area on my tablet, but if I make the raw sensitivity smaller it doesn't reach as far on the screen. Sorry, I don't seem to be explaining things very clearly.
VeilStar
I'm confused as to what you want.

If you change your sensitivity to a value that is less than 1 when using a tablet it confines your mouse to a an area smaller than the game is because the cursor travels less distance for the amount of physical distance you move and it literally hasn't got any more surface area to work work. The same applies if you have an area set in your tablet drivers as that area is all it will be able to use then.

Anyway, what's the big deal with the tablet drivers?
Do you have them installed or not? If not, why not?
If you do, can you change your sensitivity in there? And if not, why not?

HitCoder wrote:

I need the driver to modify the active area, so "no it does not support raw input"
This makes little-to-no sense.

To get back to your original post...
When exactly does it stutter? When did that start happening? What are your settings both in-game and in the tablet drivers?
Topic Starter
HitCoder

VeilStar wrote:

I'm confused as to what you want.

If you change your sensitivity to a value that is less than 1 when using a tablet it confines your mouse to a an area smaller than the game is because the cursor travels less distance for the amount of physical distance you move and it literally hasn't got any more surface area to work work. The same applies if you have an area set in your tablet drivers as that area is all it will be able to use then.

Anyway, what's the big deal with the tablet drivers?
Do you have them installed or not? If not, why not?
If you do, can you change your sensitivity in there? And if not, why not?

HitCoder wrote:

I need the driver to modify the active area, so "no it does not support raw input"
This makes little-to-no sense.

To get back to your original post...
When exactly does it stutter? When did that start happening? What are your settings both in-game and in the tablet drivers?
I apologise for not responding, I've been unable to for the past couple of days.

Firstly, yes I have the driver installed, the "no it does not support raw input" was my correction of the question, and again I was unclear on that.
You are correct, reducing sensitivity on Osu! reduces the area the cursor travels, and that's understandable hence "raw input"
I am trying to make my cursor smoother, back on windows 7 I could disable "raw input" and set sensitivity to 0.6 (minimum) and the cursor would be less shaky and jagged.
I assumed the "stuttering cursor issue" was the same issue, my apologies if it isn't
The issue is, or more, the question, what is the alternative to disabling raw input to get my cursor to move smoother?
VeilStar
Now that makes more sense.

Long story short...
Your cursor movement when using your tablet isn't smooth, so you're using the in-game sensitivity scaler to make it smoother?
If what I just said iis correct then you were working around an issue in the first place (which only worked at all due to the tablet having absolute positioning), and now you can no longer work around it.

Well, there's not much you can do, really. I don't think there is any alternative to what you used to do.
Assuming it's not too bad of an issue you'll have to live with it.

Also, don't apologise so quickly. lol
peppy
This thread is full of assumptions and misinformation.

If you are using in-game sensitivity, why not just make your active are bigger instead? It will have the same effect.

Doesn't sounds like a windows 10 issue, fwiw. Are you seeing the "stuttering" on desktop?
Topic Starter
HitCoder
My cursor shakes a little because I have a slightly shaky hand, I used to reduce the sensitivity to 0.6 on windows 7 (without enabling raw input) which used to make it move smoother, not slower. I assumed it was rounding the position due to the multiplier along with the fact the tablet sends in raw input. If you were to increase it above 1 the cursor would get shakier and shakier but not any faster. When extending it to max the cursor would glitch all over the screen trying to reach a position, but the speed it moved to the position was greater than the distance, meaning it "jumped over" the cursor position, causing constant glitching.
Reducing it to 0.6 essentially made it move slower to the actual position, but because it's a minor multiplication value, instead of needing to move my hand further, the cursor would perform more of a "glide" rather than a "teleport" to the position the pen was at.
I hope my explanation makes sense, and I apologise if it doesn't.
Since windows 8.1 + the cursor movement changed however, meaning this multiplication does not work, and instead has to have raw input applied, so the "glide" smoothing will not be accessible, making my cursor shake a little due to my hand shaking a little. this means when I moved my hand, the trail behind the cursor would be a little bumpy, however, when setting it to 0.6, the "bumpiness" would stop, and it would appear in more of a straight line.

Not sure if that made any sense, I hope it did, and I might be wrong in knowing how the game works, I can only guess at these things, but I observed the difference when my friend told me to try setting the sensitivity to 0.6 instead of 1.

Thanks for all the help everyone, as I can see there is no way around this in Windows 10, meaning it's something I will have to get used to. But nontheless, thank you all so much for your help, while I didn't get anywhere with it, it's firstly my own fault for not explaining what I meant very well, and secondly there is no way to fix it from what I've found so far. I will, however, take that back if someone does find a way around, but I am able to get used to it, I would just prefer to go back to the old setting.
Thank you all.

~HitCoder
Tom94
Well, smoothing your movement is definitely not something osu! should do. What you were doing relied on the way mouse cursor positions could be updated by osu! on Windows 7. With Windows 8.1 the way the cursor behaves when being modified by programs (such as osu!) changed dramatically and entirely broke the sensitivity feature. As a consequence the previous (unintended) side effect that helped you no longer exists and sensitivity only works when using raw input under any Windows newer or equal to 8.1.