forum

[Archived] Lag when I move the mouse

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yollomollo
Problem Details:

Hi,
I installed Osu! again, because I have got myself win10. I´ve played one song and then it began to lag horribly, but only when I move my mouse. I dont know, why it began to lag, I tried lots of things like some settings in Windows and Osu!, which helped other people.

Can someone help with my problem? :)

Thanks

Yollomollo

osu! version: 20150807 (latest)
Trosk-
Do you have all your drivers up to date? Do you know if this is happening on all games or is it just on osu!?

If your mouse have any kind of software/drivers, could you change the polling rate and see if it is still happening? Do you have the possibility to plug in a different mouse and see if it still happens?
TheVileOne
Please update to cutting edge and given a screenshot of the frame time display (Ctrl + F11). I'm going to throw out a guess that the frames are going to be mostly white. Can you confirm this?
sullyjhf
Hey I know this is a pretty old thread and all but no fix was posted and this has been happening to me a lot too so here is a screenshot of me moving my mouse with the frame time display open: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3702838

This doesn't happen when I first start the game, only after it's been open a while and I've played a couple of songs, I've tried lowering the polling rate of my mouse to 500hz without any difference.

The game literally goes down to like 2fps and is unplayable with mouse on because of this.

I'm running windows 10
TheVileOne
White frames mean it's cause by something else on your computer. Close applications, and anti viruses, things updating in the background. Drivers can sometimes cause performance issues as well.
Kyozoru
Use OpenGl
sullyjhf
idk how to use opengl, I thought on cutting edge it used that anyway?

I've tried closing literally all programs running in the background, which hasn't helped, Must be a driver issue or something then, yet it doesn't happen in other games like for example counter strike when I have all the same programs open.

It also doesn't happen with my tablet which I'm glad about because I can actually play the game.

Another strange thing to note is that when i am streaming or even just preview stream on obs the problem goes away completely.
TheVileOne
Cutting edge always uses opengl. You are correct.

Are you saying that the spikes only happen when you use your mouse? Check your mouse drivers then!
sullyjhf
I've tried updating my mouse drivers to no avail :(

It's really strange how I can't record it happening, because when using obs the problem disappears and if i try to use fraps or something it just limits the framerate anyway.

I don't know if this will help but if I have something like a stream going, or a youtube video playing on my other monitor, the mouse moves better, making the frame time counter only go up to around 2ms and sometimes up to 7ms.

Also disabling my second monitor doesn't help with the problem.

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3767726 here's another screenshot of the frame time display
sullyjhf
Hello again,

The behaviour of having lag spikes when I move the mouse in osu! happens in windows aswell, this is not just in the explorer window looking at files but also when moving across items in the taskbar and even everything in the start menu. Here is a video of it happening if you don't get what I mean: https://youtu.be/MywQnXSlmEI

I think this started happening in windows 8 after I applied the markC mouse fix, but i then downgraded to win7 and then upgraded to win10 a while later and the problem is still persisting. Obviously I tried using the reg file to unapply the fix but that didn't change anything, so maybe this is still a registry thing, could someone possibly post their mouse registry entries so I can compare to my own?
This is a screenshot of the mouse recorder included in the markc download:

This might help someone find an answer to this but idk, it's worth mentioning anyway imo.

EDIT: I just tried the Mouse Rate Checker program and the polling rate seems to be stuck on around 50-100hz with it sometimes spiking to 600-1000hz (mouse set to 1000hz in steelseries engine)