forum

[Archived] Small frame drops

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SaladMuffin
Problem Details:
I am normally around 1000 FPS, every so often I seem to drop some frames and there is a visible jolt as well as the pointer freezing momentarily. It is incredibly frustrating. However the frame drop normally occurs for a very small amount of time, but it feels like quite a large jolt

I am running Windows 7 with osu version b20150802
System Specs:
i7-5820K @ 3.3Ghz
16GB RAM
2x 970 GTX

I would provided a recording of it if Shadowplay were actually working :(

osu! version: 20150802 (latest)
Trosk-
What renderer are you using?

Also, could you change osu! release stream to Beta or Cutting Edge and see if it works better? If you still have those spikes or drops, press Ctrl F11 to show a performance graph on one of those release streams and take a screenshot at the moment of drops/spikes.
Topic Starter
SaladMuffin
I'll try your suggestions and post back my findings
Topic Starter
SaladMuffin
So I've had a play around with your suggestions.
I am unable to launch the beta version, when I select it in options my osu freezes (continues to play music though) and is unusable, however this only occurred when trying to launch the beta from the normal version, launching the beta from cutting edge worked correctly
I tried out the cutting edge build and I still get the same frame drop.

The frame drop lasts on average for 0.1s so its almost impossible to take a screenshot of it.

I am using DirectX as the renderer at 3840x2160(borderless) at unlimited framerate, I have tried limiting the frame and using it with Vsync

I have yet to try with the beta version as I just realised it was launchable from cutting edge, but I will post back once I have time to test the beta as well
Trosk-
Well, if you limit your FPS to 120 for example, the performance graph will have a lower speed and you will be able to take the screenshot.

I don't think that you are gonna get a better result on Beta than Cutting Edge since it is using the same renderer, but give it a try if you want.

Also, the problem of not being able to change to Beta release stream the first time is happening to some people too, maybe it's a thing to take a look at.
Topic Starter
SaladMuffin
I lowered my FPS to 120 and managed to cap 4 different shots of it http://imgur.com/a/nruvY. It was done on the beta version.

Edit: I also just had another drop which looked similar to the others (sharp white line) but then there was quite a large gap of the blue line after. This was a larger fps drop than usual.
Trosk-
Uhh... The bars are barely visible because of the 4K resolution.. Could you try to take them at 1080p? Use the Letterboxing option if you want to keep using the native resolution.
Topic Starter
SaladMuffin
Wow I had to half my dpi to be able to play at 1080.
https://imgur.com/a/7ekit
Trosk-
My question now is: Are those small drop of frames actually noticeable? Because I have almost the same peaks on the performance graph sometimes, and I don't notice of any drop/spike. I have the same GPU, GTX 970.

Also, seeing that you have two 970s on SLI, could you disable the SLI and try again? Some games/programs have problems with Multi-GPUs, and this could be the cause of your problem. I think it's worth to give it a try.
Topic Starter
SaladMuffin
The drop are very jolting and it throws me off nearly every time it happens. I guess I can try get some sort of recording software working to show you but Shadowplay refuses to work and I don't really want to pay for any recording software.
I don't use SLI when playing Osu so I hope that wouldn't cause an issue.
Trosk-

Saladmuffin wrote:

The drop are very jolting and it throws me off nearly every time it happens. I guess I can try get some sort of recording software working to show you but Shadowplay refuses to work and I don't really want to pay for any recording software.
I don't use SLI when playing Osu so I hope that wouldn't cause an issue.
Then no, if you aren't using SLI, it shouldn't cause any issue.

By the way, you could use OBS (Open Broadcasting Software) to record, it's a completely free software. But well, I don't think we actually need a video with the details that you have provided.

I don't actually know what could be causing these drops/spikes... Do you know if you have any kind of software running in the background that could be taking resources? Also, just in case, did you try to change between Fullscreen and Windowed/Borderless and see if it's still happening?
Topic Starter
SaladMuffin
I've been playing full screen today and it seems to happen a little less often but it definitely still happens.
Normally I play with 2 monitors, one 4k and a 1080p screen on the side. I tried turning the 1080p screen completely off and I've played a small amount and it seems to have almost stopped the drops. I say almost as I did feel a few of the tiniest fps drops, but these ones were easily ignorable and did not spike on the performance graph, but the graph changed white/yellow like the other drops, but at the same height as the rest of the blue lines.

Though I didn't play too much with just the one screen so I will update if the drops come back even with just one screen on.
TheVileOne
Do you happen to use HD (2x) textures when you play?
Topic Starter
SaladMuffin
I'm not sure what you mean by 2x textures, im running it at 3840x2160.
After some more playing i've found that if I close chrome and/or my internet the drops decrease in frequency and length.
Using only 1 screen also helps, however nothing I do has been successful in completely removing them.
Also running it at different resolutions does not fix the issue, nor does it being fullscreen/borderless
TheVileOne
osu! will use HD sprites if your resolution is larger than a certain amount. Anyways I'm stumped why you would have problems with that setup. You may have exterior programs causing it or your graphics drivers may not be functioning correctly and causing a bottle neck.
Aperture
I'm getting the same issue as OP, I think. Relatively infrequent (maybe 1-2 per minute) sudden frame drops that sometimes cause me to miss. They're very short, so I can keep combo if it doesn't happen right when I'm hitting a note or on a slider. Took a screenshot of one of them, it's that big red line in the middle: http://puu.sh/k0n9b/6c0cff432f.jpg

I installed experimental expressly for that screenshot, it occurs in stable as well. Experimental also gives me a noticeable amount of cursor delay, too...

Also my computer is an MSI GS60 with 16GB ram and a 970M 6GB. I'm running osu off the SSD, set to use my GPU.
Topic Starter
SaladMuffin
Sounds identical to what was happening to me. The only thing I've found to reduce their frequency is turning off internet and/or closing chrome, turning off your internet connection brings the most noticeable difference. It reduced their frequency from maybe once or twice and beatmap to once every 10 mins or so.

To me it feels as if it lags when it is downloading/uploading data, so maybe its to do with score submitting while playing a beatmap, would explain why turning my internet off seemed to reduce its frequency.
Topic Starter
SaladMuffin
I don't know if anyone still cares but I found that these small lagspikes happen outside of the game as well as inside. If I sit on the play screen I notice the exact same lag spikes occurring using the performance graph. As I have said this issue seems to be related to when osu! is trying to access the server as the issues decrease in frequency considerably when not connected to the internet.
TheVileOne
There could be other things that make use of the internet when not connecting as well. Also if it is related to bancho connects, then it's probably CE and beta specific as stable hasn't had any notable changes to its network code in a long time.
Topic Starter
SaladMuffin
I recently received a PM from another user also experiencing this problem. They also have a 970 GTX.
I am also still experiencing the problem. Is anything happening to try fix it?
show more