forum

[Archived] Taiko stutters and lower fps than osu! is telling me

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
A Mystery
Only when playing taiko in both Cutting Edge as Stable build (that means both Open GL and Directx), after a short stutter at the start of the map the fluid movement of the objects change into a choppy gameplay (like I'm play at 45 fps).
I don't see anything unusual with ctrl+F11, and it's also not my monitor (otherwise mania and CTB, or even the start of the map in Taiko wouldn't be fluid)
This happens on every frame limiter or unlimited as well. I'm playing at full screen.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

You might need good eyes to see this

osu! version: 20150731.2 (latest)
Bara-
Try Vsync (60)
Does it happen on beta too?

I know I had much troubles with low fps on taiko too, you might remember that (from a #dutch conversation)
Topic Starter
A Mystery
That does improve it a little, but it is still not as I would expect it to be. Also, Vsync gives a delay of roughly 15 ms, which is not very nice to play with.
The exact same problem occurs in Beta.

I don't have a low fps according to osu, but it just stutters like if I would have 45 fps (and it's not a stable "45 fps"). Vsync improve this a little, but still stuttering (but it looks like a higher framerate this time)which makes it hard to get good accuracy (because it randomly happens), and an input delay I would rather avoid.

EDIT: I noticed that with a lower frame limiter the "fps" I'm playing with seem to increase. 240 is the best solution atm but it still gives a terrible screen tearing (which I don't have with unlimited fps) and some delay. It's better than nothing though
TheVileOne
I'm not sure how you can judge how many frames you are actually receiving. osu! doesn't just give a nonsense number.
Topic Starter
A Mystery
I know that, but I CAN tell that the frames before the stutter are obviously higher than after the stutter
I can also tell a huge difference when I use a custom limit like 1k fps, instead of 3k
I don't know why osu is telling me it's 3k fps, because it looks more like 30-40

http://ask.fm/Tom94/answer/131359703246

Not sure what he means by resources. My other hardware is not a bottleneck for my GPU (I'm pretty sure about that)
XER0qxx
OP isn't imagining things; I have the the same problem in mania. Regardless of the FPS that osu! reports (500+), I get what is obviously more like 20 FPS on my 144 Hz monitor. It's not hard to tell the difference between 144 FPS and <30 FPS.

The only way I could fix it was by switching to Beta and playing in fullscreen mode (with FPS set to unlimited). Try this. It's not a perfect solution and it'd be nice if it could be fixed since using borderless windowed mode is far more convenient, but I'm not convinced that it's a problem specific to osu!.
Topic Starter
A Mystery

XER0qxx wrote:

OP isn't imagining things; I have the the same problem in mania. Regardless of the FPS that osu! reports (500+), I get what is obviously more like 20 FPS on my 144 Hz monitor. It's not hard to tell the difference between 144 FPS and <30 FPS.

The only way I could fix it was by switching to Beta and playing in fullscreen mode (with FPS set to unlimited). Try this. It's not a perfect solution and it'd be nice if it could be fixed since using borderless windowed mode is far more convenient, but I'm not convinced that it's a problem specific to osu!.
Switching to Beta doesn't work for me (and I didn't expect it to). It also both happens on full screen and borderless
abraker

TheVileOne wrote:

I'm not sure how you can judge how many frames you are actually receiving. osu! doesn't just give a nonsense number.
The number we see is an average across some number of milliseconds. Since it's average, it might not be showing the micro 1000 FPS to 200 FPS dips and instead show something like 1000 FPS to 900 FPS as a short decline/incline instead. If a person is having a 1000 FPS to 10 FPS stutter every 20ms, it would show something like 505 FPS. I think you see the problem. I suggest adding another FPS counter showing mimimum non averaged FPS recorded in the past 3 seconds or so.
Topic Starter
A Mystery

abraker wrote:

TheVileOne wrote:

The number we see is an average across some number of milliseconds. Since it's average, it might not be showing the micro 1000 FPS to 200 FPS dips and instead show something like 1000 FPS to 900 FPS as a short decline/incline instead. If a person is having a 1000 FPS to 10 FPS stutter every 20ms, it would show something like 505 FPS. I think you see the problem. I suggest adding another FPS counter showing mimimum non averaged FPS recorded in the past 3 seconds or so.
Not sure how to do that
TheVileOne
If Tom can't solve your problem, then I'm not sure if anyone else can. A bottleneck would make sense. If it was caused by osu!, it would show up as a non white spike in the frame time display.
peppy
What is all this shit? Why has no frame graph been posted yet?

Everythign else is pointless.
Topic Starter
A Mystery
3000 fps (no limit)

120 fps limit

1000 fps limit

Here is a video
Which is probably pointless because these red spikes only occur when recording.
But (at least to me) it shows the difference between the framerate options. 120 fps appears way smoother
These images were from the Beta build

Tom told me to post the settings and hardware so

Gtx 980
8 GB DDR 3
4.0 Ghz i7 4790k
Windows 8.1
Yes all my drivers are installed an up-to-date

osu!:
1680x1050 full screen
Every build (and both open GL and direct x)
Snaking sliders, video and storyboard turned on, but irrelevent when playing taiko without a SB or video
peppy
All of these frame graphs show that osu! is not the issue here.

You're going to have to look elsewhere (your graphics card settings are probably the best place).
Topic Starter
A Mystery

peppy wrote:

All of these frame graphs show that osu! is not the issue here.

You're going to have to look elsewhere (your graphics card settings are probably the best place).
Thanks for taking a look anyway
I'll try