forum

[Archived] FPS drops a lot on spinners

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ImZealot
Hello guys, I've been playing osu! for quite some time now, but I don't play it as often as I'd want to because my laptop sucks.
On every map with no skin, every time a spinner comes in my PC lags, hard. It made me fail a lot of FCs now.

I can't really record it because any screen recording software makes my FPS drop a lot more.

I hope you guys can help me and thanks for taking time to read! ^_^
Mofu kun
openGL or Directx?

what fps cap do you happen to use? Can you tell us the average fps and the fps that you get during spinners?

Also, are your graphics card drivers all up to date?

Also, try turning off the filters, there is one during the spinner that lags everything to hell.
Enzy
I'm assuming that you're using the default skin?

Try a different skin.
Topic Starter
ImZealot

Mofu kun wrote:

openGL or Directx?

what fps cap do you happen to use? Can you tell us the average fps and the fps that you get during spinners?

Also, are your graphics card drivers all up to date?

Also, try turning off the filters, there is one during the spinner that lags everything to hell.
I'm using DirectX, OpenGL bugs a lot in my PC, I think it doesn't support it.
I use "Unlimited (Gameplay)" and have always around 60 FPS up to 100 FPS during gameplay and 30-40 FPS in the menus.
In spinners it drops to around 20-35, depends if the map has storyboard/video.
The FPS aren't really that low, but the mouse gets "choppy", I don't know how to explain it. I'll try to film it with my phone and upload a video.

Here's a replay of the tutorial map just so you can see how the mouse gets kinda bugged - http://we.tl/oHPfuKRhdD
Compare the smoothness while I'm not in the spinner and when I get to it.

-Enzy- wrote:

I'm assuming that you're using the default skin?

Try a different skin.
I'm really picky when it gets to skins, I've tried quite a few and didn't really like any :\

Thank you both for taking your time to read and answer ^_^
Wingman626
try messing with your graphics options

start with everything low and play like that.

if everything is fine, slowly bump something up and play again. repeat until you see something that affects gameplay

usually with an old system, its always things like shaders, lighting, ETC. that always causes FPS drops

also refer to one of my posts in a recent thread for extra things you can do

t/314473 where it says "long instructions"
TheVileOne
Spinners are more resource intensive. It is normal to experience frame drops. You just have a bad framerate to start with and it gets worse during the spinners.
abraker
Try skinning the spinner so it has more fully transparent pixels. On older systems, large sprites may dip the FPS down. Don't now what else to say.
RvNovae
what about that "MyPcSucks" option in the .cfg?
VeilStar

Olivarus wrote:

what about that "MyPcSucks" option in the .cfg?
Never use this. The very slight potential performance increase isn't worth the downsides of it.
(It simplifies the timing calculation aswell.)
RvNovae

VeilStar wrote:

Never use this. The very slight potential performance increase isn't worth the downsides of it.
(It simplifies the timing calculation aswell.)
oh ok, nvm me then