forum

[Archived] Entire song collection repeatedly refreshes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker
Problem Details:
While selecting a map, upon selecting a certain map(s), the game would refresh the entire list of maps as if I was spamming f5 (or newly added maps) every half second. I can only go out of it the split second it shows the song select menu by pressing esc. When on the main menu, if I go to the song select menu without changing the song, the bug remains. When I change the song, it is fixed. This problem persists when selecting maps in multiplayer as well. I'm taking a guess at it, but I think was supposed to show the "Beatmap headers are corrupt" message instead of glitching like that.

Video:

And this what happens when it occurs in multi:

osu! version: 20150305 (latest)
VeilStar
Well, this seems to happen when selecting a map that is corrupt in some way.

I can't (be arsed to) find the thread(s) right now, but yeah, this is a thing..

I wonder if some glitch-guard could be implemented for this if it causes to loop-refresh.
TheHoboChris
Try deleting your unranked maps, it worked for my friend who was having this problem.
Topic Starter
abraker
I will consider that as the last option.
Topic Starter
abraker
I think it does this to maps randomly. I played Identic Conflict this morning and now it glitches.
VeilStar
Bumping this.

Here are other threads about the exact same thing;

t/281117
t/306882
t/310452

Never happened to anyone before ~2-3 months ago.
(At the very least as far as I'm aware, and if it did I should, generally speaking, be aware of it.)

Please look into this, devs?
Bara-
Delete osu.db?
Topic Starter
abraker
I can say more and more of my maps are starting to corrupt. I am starting to believe that how osu reads beatmap files might be bugged when leaving it open for extended periods of time. I can't explain why a once working beatmap would suddenly be corrupt any other way.

baraatje123 wrote:

Delete osu.db?
Doesn't work.

Also I checked out the other posts and people seem to be having this after copying their songs folder. I did the same thing, but that was weeks ago. I started having this problem only several days ago.

Also this can be marked as confirmed.
Topic Starter
abraker
New update: It seems half of my maps are corrupted. I tried to spectate someone and it gave me a "beatmap could not be loaded" and iterated for at least 30 beatmaps until it stopped. Spectating again it kept doing for more maps (about 60+ as I am writing this). And then it crashed. I am starting to be very concerned now.

EDIT: If it is repeating too fast for esc to do anything then go to the chat, click on a user, then esc out.
TheVileOne
Without the map that is causing it there is nothing I can do to debug this issue. Corrupted songs typically don't make it past the first song selection load. It could be related to the relative path changes. I wouldn't know why exactly it would fail though since the correct path is shown for a fresh database.

The reloading issue must be some weird circumstance in which the song that fails to load is being reselected after the reprocess, which then triggers another reprocess.
Topic Starter
abraker
I had an idea to try and give you the corrupt beatmap to see if it does same on your copy. I rar-ed the folder of the failed beatmap and then imported it to see if that idea will work. It said it failed to import and it got sent to the failed folder. Is it possible to make osu! do the same to any beatmap which fails to process in order to fix this issue?
TheVileOne
It sounds like a permissions issue to me. Did your permissions get screwed up for your songs folder?
Topic Starter
abraker
If it was to be so, wouldn't every map do this?
TheVileOne
Importing a map should not fail. Something specific is causing your issue. You may have lost read and write permissions for certain beatmaps?? This is a long shot, but if you enabled compatibility mode. Please turn it off.
Topic Starter
abraker
All users and groups have read and read & execute permissions. Also,that attempt included importing that same corrupt map. Importing any map from the server works. And osu! is not and never was in compatibility mode.
TheVileOne
Have you tried rebuilding your .osu.db?
Topic Starter
abraker
This was mentioned in a previous post.

abraker wrote:

baraatje123 wrote:

Delete osu.db?
Doesn't work.
TheVileOne
I'm out of solutions. you will need to do some detective work to isolate which maps are causing it and which aren't.
Topic Starter
abraker
I checked over everything, and as the last attempt I tried running osu! with administrator privileges. To my surprise, the problem was fixed. However, I'm still confused as to:

1) Why did this happen in the first place? Yea I moved the songs folder, but there this problem appeared a month after that.
2) Why I checked over and applied read and write access to all folders to all users and groups and the problem still persisted.
3) I saw no difference in the folder and file settings among maps that worked and maps that didn't. So why did some work and some did not?

And sorry for having you to spend time figuring out this problem to which you mentioned a possible cause already. Well if we learned anything with this, it is the above and that osu! seems to handle the lack of permissions weirdly. Thanks for the help.
Dreanas
Still didnt work for me :/ And no fix I cri.
show more