forum

A -MOUSE- players struggle!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Popolittz
Hey guys I am a pure mouse player and plan to stay that way =P I'm stubborn but when I was introducing myself to Osu! I saw that it said "Good mouse players are well respected and looked up to in the community!" so I became damn determined to be one of the best! I have recently broke the barrier on 4 stars and I can keep up with the pace of most 5 star songs now! I can get almost all jumps but my biggest obstacle is friggin STREAMS I can't stream for some reason, I can usually get about 7/20 (all being 100's or 50's) if it's a long stream and 6 / 7 (but all being 100's) if it's short. obviously it's a problem for higher star maps because of the drain and the penalty for missing a note.

I appreciate all tips but a mouse only players tips would be GREATLY appreciated, such as form etc xD I'm so lost but I practice everyday for 3+ hours doing songs that are a bit harder than my skill level or those just out of reach. :) :) :)
Vuelo Eluko
Your top rank is a B on a 30 second map that isnt even 4 stars, which is tied PP-wise by a 97% on a 2 star map. You can't keep up with 5 star maps, and you aren't ready for streams. Don't overreach or you'll develop bad consistency bad accuracy and you'll be frustrated and want to quit because you've dug yourself into a hole of bad habits that will take a huge amount of time to remedy and won't be any fun.

biggest tip i can give as someone who used a mouse for 10000 plays: stop thinking using a mouse makes you special or different from any other player, it's not a handicap and it's definitely not worth that much emphasis in a thread title.
Topic Starter
Popolittz
didn't think it was special, just wanted to be liked. that's all.
ZenithPhantasm
Meh.
Vuelo Eluko

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Meh.
what a post
Green Platinum
What struggle? All I saw was someone in over their head.
ZenithPhantasm

Riince wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Meh.
what a post
Shitpost to my shitpost. What a surprise.
pandaBee
I wish I could do five star songs.
DahplA
This guy thinking mouse is a handicap (lol)
Mouse players don't have struggles. Bad players do.
buny

Popolittz wrote:

"Good mouse players are well respected and looked up to in the mouse playing community!"
fixed
Kwonaiden

Popolittz wrote:

Hey guys I am a pure mouse player and plan to stay that way =P I'm stubborn but when I was introducing myself to Osu! I saw that it said "Good mouse players are well respected and looked up to in the community!" so I became damn determined to be one of the best! I have recently broke the barrier on 4 stars and I can keep up with the pace of most 5 star songs now!I can get almost all jumps but my biggest obstacle is friggin STREAMS I can't stream for some reason, I can usually get about 7/20 (all being 100's or 50's) if it's a long stream and 6 / 7 (but all being 100's) if it's short. obviously it's a problem for higher star maps because of the drain and the penalty for missing a note.

I appreciate all tips but a mouse only players tips would be GREATLY appreciated, such as form etc xD I'm so lost but I practice everyday for 3+ hours doing songs that are a bit harder than my skill level or those just out of reach. :) :) :)
I wish you good luck.

I don't know if you are playing for the right reasons especially the mouse thing where you feel that you want to somehow be special[insert whatever praise worthy word] but I think everyone likes some attention one way or another.

Also the biggest downfall for anyone regardless in what they are doing is believing that they are better then they really are, that can cause alot of problems in the future when it comes to progression. (Hi Dunning-Kruger effect!)
Gumpy

Popolittz wrote:

didn't think it was special, just wanted to be liked. that's all.
why would you be liked for it?
-JaZe-

Popolittz wrote:

Hey guys I am a pure mouse player

Popolittz wrote:

my biggest obstacle is friggin STREAMS
I sense a pattern
Saphirshroom
Try again when the number of your total hits is 5 times as big.
Pacze
Everyone has a different motivation to play the game. If yours is about adquiring players respect, i think that may be fine to start... I mean, even naruto wanted to be a hokage (srry for pointing that out, just felt like to)

About the tips, I think it's too early.. I mean, you've not played much yet. You should get some consistency first, and when you find yourself able to S some insanes, then it's time to focus on little things.

If your problem right now is streaming (wow, already?)... if you have trouble trying to "follow" the stream: Lower dpi may help, as it decreases the cursor shaking. Trying to change your way to read may work too (are you watching the circles that you're about to click, or are you watching the circles that are just appearing on the screen?, for example).An optical wired mouse is a must, if you're trying to get any better btw.

.. if you have trouble trying to reach the bpm: Just try easier songs until you see you can do them. Also, click softly... in most cases, trying to click too hard isn't the way.
Kwonaiden

Saphirshroom wrote:

That's generous, I was thinking 10x
bigfeh

Kwonaiden wrote:

I wish you good luck.

I don't know if you are playing for the right reasons especially the mouse thing where you feel that you want to somehow be special[insert whatever praise worthy word] but I think everyone likes some attention one way or another.

Also the biggest downfall for anyone regardless in what they are doing is believing that they are better then they really are, that can cause alot of problems in the future when it comes to progression. (Hi Dunning-Kruger effect!)
I like how you cited the Dunning-Kruger effect. As someone who's gotten into the psychology of other games (and kind of read a bit into this particular phenomenon) I'm actually slightly surprised I didn't think of this.

Either way, completely agreed on you. Allow me to quote this thread:

ScarletStory wrote:

MISCELLANEOUS (non-playing related) REASONS (warning may contain demoralising content)
1. You play osu! for the WRONG REASONS. Allow me to elaborate. You are the one who plays osu! entirely for the purpose of "getting better" you spend countless hours upon hours upon days upon weeks UPON YEARS?!?! Okay maybe not years however rather than improving by enjoying the game you just keep trying to get better by sheer force of will, aaaaand that almost never works. Eventually all you will do is end up defeated, angry, left with multiple red spots on your face from face-palming for days, rage-quitting you get the gist of what I'm trying to say. I do understand that improving at osu! is indeed fun it brings a sense of accomplishment and amazement with what you're capable of when you really try however you should let skill come to you and you should not try to chase after skill relentlessly However I'm not saying don't try to improve, I'm saying don't repeatedly play the same song over and over or songs that you have no chance in beating thinking it will make you better when in reality you're just frustrating yourself and bringing yourself bad habits (which ill go into detail on later)

2. You believe that you're the next osu! prodigy. You're gonna pick up that pen (or mouse) and just blow everyone away with your instant talent and make yourself a name. I like your resolve kid, but slowdown there sea biscuit, its not gonna happen. Nobody in the history of osu! has ever gotten an SS on The Big Black, Scarlet Rose, (insert other hard maps) on the FIRST DAY they ever played osu! If someone has, please proceed to kill me. BUT YOU'RE DIFFERET RIGHT?!? YOU JUST KNOW YOU CAN DO IT, again I'm sorry but you wont and you probably wont for a long long long long long loooong time.

3. You want to impress others. This will be an easy one. The next time someone tells you about something great that they worked for lets say maybe they got into Harvard. You look that smug law school good for nothing Son of a B#$%$ right in the eye and tell him how you streamed 20 notes at 222 BPM and you only got 10 100's and 5 50's!!! After you inevitably get looked at as if you are the biggest idiot in the world, please come back here, settle down, and let me tell you something young one. osu! standard the concept of the game is to press keys or click while aiming where indicated by hit objects (circles, sliders) oh and to bring it all home spin your cursor in a circle for spinners. Doesn't sound so impressive to someone who doesn't play osu! does it? That's because well... it's not. That's not to say that being good at osu! isn't impressive or that others won't be impressed by your skill, but the point is the only person you should try to impress is yourself.
While I'm at it, I also want to mention something you'll probably want to take for life: it's better to underestimate your abilities than to overestimate them. You aren't the best - actually pretty far from it. You can be the best, but the first thing you need to do in order to achieve that is drop the impression that you're in any way good at what you want to be the best.

-JaZe- wrote:

Popolittz wrote:

Hey guys I am a pure mouse player

Popolittz wrote:

my biggest obstacle is friggin STREAMS
I sense a pattern
Yeah, you sense a pattern. I play pure mouse too and streaming is and has always been the biggest difficulty. Whatever advantages this play style has in rhythm and snapping (accuracy or whatever), it loses hard in streaming.

As for you, OP, go read the whole post. But if you have, let me give you some advice: alternate the buttons on the mouse (and train to be as fast with your second finger as you are with the first), train stability (this one's important: if you see the cursor moving to the sides while you follow a fast stream, you're doing it wrong - try clicking with less force or changing your grip), and keep in mind that a claw grip will give you speed over stability, but you won't stream for shit while you're playing with it. One of the most important abilities I learned as a pure mouse player was to change the mouse grip along the way (no, not in breaks. You need to change it WHILE playing, and not miss any notes in the process).

EDIT: Forgot an important part: if you don't alternate at all, triple/quad hits and short, slow streams are a great way to start. If you need to train your finger speed, go play https://osu.ppy.sh/b/304179 until you can hit the notes (except streams and bursts) with a single finger, with both fingers.
And while you're at it, remember to take breaks every now and then as well as stretching your forearm (google for pictures). RSI is not something you really wanna have
Yuudachi-kun

Kwonaiden wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

That's generous, I was thinking 10x
2 million is good
Topic Starter
Popolittz
I don't think i'm the best, I think i'm rank 170,000#I didn't think I was better than I was. didn't mean to anger anyone. I didn't mean to sound cocky or as though I was better than I was I'm sorry if it came across that way. Just wanted a few tips, i'd still appreciate them if anyone has them.
pandaBee
Well, judging from your top plays you should probably be playing (most of the time) and perfecting the easier 'hard' songs, probably around 2.75-3.4 stars? Somewhere around there. Since your skill is low, it seems like you're jumping the gun trying to learn streams when those only start to show up around 3.75 star songs and up. So in other words, you should focus on improving the million other aspects of your game before you even worry about streams.

But generally it helps a lot if you practice improving accuracy. Also, start off with short streams (moving triples, quintuples, 7s, etc.) and work your way up.

Also, use keyboard. You're handicapping yourself by using mouse only. Your question is sort of if I were to ask "how can I get better at basketball? I'm wearing high heel shoes btw" - Everyone would pretty much tell me to stop wearing high heels and wear normal shoes.
show more