forum

[Archived] IP be unknown for users in CA, United States

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
KOI_JAPAN
Problem Details:

After the upgrade of Times Warner Cable, the users of this company might encounter unknown ip location problem. This problem is confirmed by multiple users using Times Warner in CA, for example the user Mattytray and me.

Now the major IP test sites could show that my IP is in US at least but OSU! keeps showing as unknown location. Relevant ping test, provided by Mattytray, could confirm the location of such IP is in CA.

And, I don't want to be in unknown location any more. It has incurred many questions such as 'why you are in unknown location' or even the misunderstanding that I was using unlawful software. And I am bored answering those questions again and again.

Thus, would it be possible to at least give me a 'US' location in the panel? :?

My current IP (at least today): 104.174.116.199

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20150129.8cuttingedge
AndrewDale
Hey,

That's odd... Your IP seems to be in Los Angeles, USA according to this site: http://www.iplocation.tools/ip/104.174.116.199.

The images are generated automatically. I guess the geolocation data provider that is used does not recognize your IP. You can try to get a different IP address
from your ISP (which is Time Warner Cable). Try unplugging your modem, leaving it off for a minute and plugging it back in. If that doesn't work, see if you can get a new IP from the administrator interface of your modem/router. If that doensn't work, you can call your ISP to ask for a new IP address.

Good luck and let me know what worked for you :)

Best,
Andrew
Malte
It seems that the server used for localizing your IP addresses seems to have an outdated version of whois.
Since your IP-Range is relatively new (from 08/2014) the server doesn't have proper location information yet. And it's unlikely that your ISP will switch you to another IP-Range. Also then the problem wouldn't be solved for other players. I'm gonna try to ask peppy on twitter about that.