forum

[Archived] Osu Running Slower on Dedicated Graphics vs Integrated.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
xNinjaKittyx
Problem Details:

I can only say that this is happening on my Y40 with AMD Radeon R9 275X 2GB

So when i first got this laptop, I wanted to try out osu!mania to make sure fps count was good.
I set AMD Switchable graphics for osu!.exe as High Performance.

My FPS count was anywhere between 50 to 110 FPS. usually hanging around the lower end during gameplay.
FPS was dropping a lot during gameplay, and there was a lot of tearing on the screen.
This is at 1440x900.
1080p was unplayable.

I tried to do several things to hope for an increase of fps:
- Setting Priority to High
- Windows 7 Compatibility Mode
- Running as Admin

Finally I decided to just randomly try to set osu!.exe to Power Saving on CCC.
All of a sudden, I can get almost constant 180-240 FPS on 1080p.

I would like some confirmation from other Y40 users and other people who use AMD Switchable graphics on their laptops.

Settings worth noting:
I'm using DirectX
Unlimited(Gameplay) for fps limiter.
Turned off basically all the effects.

If you would like to know anything else, just let me know.

Edit: Please note that I am no longer using compatability & admin (cuz they didn't do anything).

osu! version: 20140814.1 (latest)
Full Tablet
Did you check if there were any driver updates for your integrated graphics card?
Topic Starter
xNinjaKittyx

Full Tablet wrote:

Did you check if there were any driver updates for your integrated graphics card?
I'm not sure why that would matter, since i'm saying that Integrated is running faster than my Dedicated/discrete.

but yes both of these cards are updated to the latest driver.
KinkiN
Try it on other game? Like COD maybe?
Topic Starter
xNinjaKittyx

Yuzuru wrote:

Try it on other game? Like COD maybe?
I have Dota 2 running at max settings 1080p borderless window with no issues. (i can't really FPS check because the console won't come out for whatever reason. I will check again after i redownload Fraps.)
Edit: Max Settings runs about 35-40 FPS (This is with everything except Vsync on, 100% Render quality, High Shadows, High Texture)

League of Legends runs at capped constant 60 fps at highest settings.

Borderlands 2 - 1080p Windowed w/ Max Settings runs at 18-22 fps

All 3 of these games are using "high performance" and the fps are expected for the specs I have.
Osu however, doesn't like my AMD card for some reason -_-
KinkiN
try to delete osu.exe and all .dll files and start the updater

it might fix something
peppy
integrated graphics are pretty powerful these days, especially for non-shader-intensive tasks.
Topic Starter
xNinjaKittyx

Yuzuru wrote:

try to delete osu.exe and all .dll files and start the updater

it might fix something
So, after doing this, my fps did increase slightly, but its still lower than my integrated.
I'm still experiencing a lot of ripping in the lines. I'll try to post a video if i can.
EDIT: i can't post a video recording with fraps. Even if i set FPS to higher than what osu runs, it actually fixes the ripping slightly when im recording (lol?)

peppy wrote:

integrated graphics are pretty powerful these days, especially for non-shader-intensive tasks.
Yeah that's definitely true, but still a little dumbfounded that my AMD card is running slower than Intel HD 4400
Topic Starter
xNinjaKittyx
Sorry for double post, but yeah..

So, I tried testing powersaving vs high performance again.

I got a performance difference about 10 fps with the AMD now giving more FPS. It seems that the osu file refresh fixed part of the problem.

I think it's just my CPU that's limiting my computer from running it any faster, unless someone thinks otherwise. I do have a i5 4510U, which is kinda underpowered for the R9 275X.

There's really no way to confirm this, unless someone with a CPU > AMD Card build can confirm it
KinkiN
your processor are quite good, so i believe as peppy said, the dedicated GPU should be good too ( Intel HD 4600 i guess, and it's quite decent )
drum drum
Running as Admin
stop
Topic Starter
xNinjaKittyx
I would like to bring this issue back up again because I've realized the following.

My old laptop is using the Fixed Graphics option in the BIOS (which for some reason is not allowed on my new Lenovo Y40 It only gives me Dynamic and UMA)
My Old laptop uses i7 - 2670QM and AMD Radeon HD 6600M 1GB
My New Laptop uses i7-4510u and AMD Radeon R9 M275 2GB

My old laptop runs about 300-400 FPS.
My new laptop runs about 120-180 FPS.
it just doesn't seem right that the FPS drop would be that much.

My new processor is a dual vs a quad core, but in single-core performance, 4510u beats 2670qm by a slight, while 2670qm will win in multicore rendering.

I have a feeling that even though I tell CCC to run osu on High Performance, it's still using the Intel HD card.

Anyone with AMD Switchable graphics that can help me? :(

Edit: Then again, AMD Monitor says that it's using it... and the heating of the GPU might be confirming this....
So i dunno what the hell is going on ..
Edit 2: Maybe this is the extent of my laptop's power. Kinda disappointing, but oh well. I'll have to live with it. At 1440x900 there's an awful lot of tearing even with vsync on... 720 will make fps way over 200 so it looks fine
Full Tablet
How fast does it run with the Integrated GPU?
Is there any reason to use the Radeon card for osu! ?

About tearing, the faster your PC is, the more tearing there is (it's a consequence of having the fps higher than the screen refresh rate, to reduce the screen tearing, you need a screen with higher refresh rate).
Espionage724
Try using GPU-Z to determine what speed your PCI-E bus is running at when the dGPU is on. On my laptop with a 7660G + 7670M, the PCI-E bus for the dGPU would only run at 1.1 speeds until I flashed a custom BIOS and enabled Gen2.

I also understand that Intel/AMD switchable graphics setups can act strangely. What drivers were you using? Leshcat's drivers I hear are pretty good for such setups. mahmoud elfar over on Guru3D also tends to mod drivers for switchable graphics. LeekM also used to mod such drivers, but he quit (so generally speaking, any drivers from him may be slightly outdated).

As for another scenario, my iGPU ran osu! better than my dGPU on Linux. No idea what was up there exactly considering both chips use the same driver and don't vary much on the architecture.
Topic Starter
xNinjaKittyx

Full Tablet wrote:

How fast does it run with the Integrated GPU?
Is there any reason to use the Radeon card for osu! ?
My Old Laptop: 1280x720
iGPU - anywhere between 330 - 420 FPS (Depending on song)
dGPU - it is usually around 600-700 sometimes going into 500.
(Also consider that i am using the laptop's own monitor)

New Laptop: 1280x720
iGPU (Telling CCC to go Power Saving) - I was surprised lol.. it was around 320-350 fps. Sometimes going up to 400 (Better iGPU (3000 vs 4400) but i think quad core carried my old computer hehe)
dGPU (Telling CCC to go High Performance) - 220 - 240 fps, Wow the difference is noticeable when you go lower resolution...?

For fun, i tested again in 1440x900
(Telling CCC to go Power Saving) - 210-250 FPS
(Telling CCC to go High Performance) - 160 FPS.

There is a significant FPS drop whenever i make it use my dGPU... Strange.

GPU-Z:

(While playing, sometimes the load will go up to 80-90%....)

Hm... So it is using the GPU..

Espionage724 wrote:

What drivers were you using?
I'm using AMD Catalyst Notebook Display Driver (Beta version) 14.9.1
I just got the Beta. (Before I tried using the laptop's default driver (older version of AMD Catalyst), then i updated to 14.9 AMD Catalyst Mobility Driver).

And if you're wondering the GPU-Z Screenshots of each graphics card....
Full Tablet

firefwing24 wrote:

And if you're wondering the GPU-Z Screenshots of each graphics card....
The bandwidths of those cards are oddly low. For the Radeon card, according to specifications the bus width should be 128bit and the memory bandwidth 64GB/s. The Intel card should have 128bit bus width and 25.6 GB/sec memory bandwidth (double the amount GPU-Z says it has).
Topic Starter
xNinjaKittyx

Full Tablet wrote:

The bandwidths of those cards are oddly low. For the Radeon card, according to specifications the bus width should be 128bit and the memory bandwidth 64GB/s. The Intel card should have 128bit bus width and 25.6 GB/sec memory bandwidth (double the amount GPU-Z says it has).
I did some research, and i found this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... width.html

I think my computer only currently has 1 stick of RAM of 8 GB, so maybe if I add an additional memory stick, It'll run at full speed.
Is my hypothesis correct?
Gumpy
You can try Since Ram is not very expensive anymore, but I don't think having more ram sticks makes a difference since you already have 8GB.
Topic Starter
xNinjaKittyx

Gumpyyy wrote:

You can try Since Ram is not very expensive anymore, but I don't think having more ram sticks makes a difference since you already have 8GB.
It's not really the amount of Ram i'm talking about.

I'm concerning about the difference between 2x4 configuration and a 1x8 configuration.

Buying a 2x4 is kind of a waste of my current 1x8, so i might go and buy an extra 1x8 stick.

It's still 70+ bucks for that 1 stick of ram since its Laptop RAM (1600 MHz) :/
LavaLeaf

xNinjaKittyx wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

It's not really the amount of Ram i'm talking about.

I'm concerning about the difference between 2x4 configuration and a 1x8 configuration.

Buying a 2x4 is kind of a waste of my current 1x8, so i might go and buy an extra 1x8 stick.

It's still 70+ bucks for that 1 stick of ram since its Laptop RAM (1600 MHz) :/
Did it fix the issue? I'm having the same problem as you, my processor is rendering the game at a constant ~120fps, but when I switch to my discrete GPU, it drops to below 30. And I'm using an nvidia card, so it shows that it's not an individual case.

Sorry for replying after 2 years btw :P
show more