forum

[resolved] [Solved] Corrupt collection (or other .db files)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Railander
I had the naïve mistake of hand-editing a collection name in collection.db (because for whatever reason now there is a 25 char limit to collection names) and to my baffling surprise it corrupted it, even when i went and undid the change it still wouldn't work.
I was extremely disappointed that apparently there was nothing i could do to revert my situation. even reading the forums revealed i was left with starting over, which was a big hit on me since i have so many collections and they are really time-consuming to sort the way i did.

but thankfully in my last minute of desperate googling i found a damn solution! depending on your OS, windows might store previous file versions from system restore points. it even had a version from yesterday!
to do this, simply right-click the .db file in question and go to the "previous versions" tab. hopefully there will be something there.

i hope by sharing this method others will be able to avoid a big headache, and if you want to mess with your collections, do it either in-game or with the collections editor provided here: t/131103

rantmode: which begs me to wonder why the databases are so hand-editing unfriendly... is there even a technical reason for that? i mean, i don't think it would change anything if it were to be handled as pure-text.
TheVileOne
Manually editing a collection name sounds sketchy to me. You should never manually edit a database.