forum

A few words of so-called combos

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pelaaja_X
Hi all osu! players! I'll go straight to the point. Everybody knows that combos play a huge part when calculating scores, as it's said in the osu! wiki:

Most of the time, combo plays the major part in the scoring system since it serves as an multiplier of the score.

I really insist that this is totally wrong and disagree this formula. Do you really think that playing a full combo including less or more 100's and 50's would be better than a play of only 300's and one mistake in the middle of the song? Scoring would give the former better result just because of the so-called combing. I have got some S ranked scores which are, for the above-mentioned reason, less score than my previously scored C's. I have noticed that, practically always, the better combo means better score and vice versa.

I think it shouldn't be like this. This score formula really distorts the reality.

I could use very rough langugae at this point, but I say it neutrally: losing your combo reduces your score much more than it should. It is really annoying. Personally I always use accuracy as win condition in multiplayer.

This post in a nutcase: Combos should not count as much as they do at the moment!
GenoClysm
Wrong section buddy, move to gameplay and rankings.
or suggestions or something

As for this suggestion, this shouldn't be changed and will not be changed. rhythm games are almost completely based off of combos, that's how it's been and will always be.
Aswell, overall skill in rhythm games is more consistency than anything, and the only way that can be told is through combos.
Combos also act as a multiplier that makes for much more score diversity, making perfection more perfect and seperating unique scores. If you haven't noticed, there are easy and normal maps with 50+ people with literally the exact same score, all of them getting SS's. If combos didn't completley make score in harder maps, we'd have a similar situation likely. Everyone with 1 miss will have the exact same score, everyone with 2 100's will have the exact same score, etc etc.

What you are asking for is impossible. Rhythm games and competition in them are (almost)COMPLETELY structured around combos, and without them being almost entirely the weight, rankings would be in chunks of people, not individuals lol
jackisgone
no wtf, why should someone who misses get a better score then someone who has the skill to FC
TakuMii
peppy has been aware of this problem for a while already. The score system can not be changed though, as such change will result in millions upon millions of scores getting wiped. This is one of the reasons why the pp system weighed other factors more heavily than score alone.