forum

[rules change]Remove or change video dimensions to HD(720P)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
spboxer3
As original Ranking Criteria:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

The video's dimensions must not exceed 800x600 for the 4:3 format, or 854x480 for the 16:9 widescreen format. This is so video files keep a decent filesize and do not increase the beatmap's size by too much.
Seriously. The video dimensions isn't main reason to increase the file size, but the bit rate.
encode bit rate:1800 vs 600
1800 bit rate:

600 bit rate:

file size: 18.9MB vs 7.18MB

I used same format to encode the video (overall bit rate: 1800, FPS:20.000):
Only increase the video size 0.3MB. How about video definition?
Let's discuss video dimensions again and thanks for your read ;)
mm201
The higher system specs required to decode higher complexity videos is something to consider.
dkun
What kind of system specs as a minimum should you have to be able to decode 720P? It's 2014 already. Toasters for 720P should (almost) be a thing of the past!
tutuhaha
upupup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
God!!!!!!
薯片请接受我的告白!!!
Kytoxid
Support, if we put rules in place for either bitrate or file size instead.
TakuMii

dkun wrote:

What kind of system specs as a minimum should you have to be able to decode 720P? It's 2014 already. Toasters for 720P should (almost) be a thing of the past!
Hi, I have an Ivy Bridge i3 that can barely render the current 480p BG videos without causing the game to lag.
Lolzy

YayMii wrote:

dkun wrote:

Hi, I have an Ivy Bridge i3 that can barely render the current 480p BG videos without causing the game to lag.
you got something broken
Umi
As a (TV size) mapper i would be glad to see this rules changed, I always enjoy play maps with videos.

and well as Dkun said

dkun wrote:

It's 2014 already!
Garven
The option to not play video is available: the lower-end machines can still play the game - just not with all the bells and whistles. Look at guy who posted earlier saying he can't even play videos that meet the current criteria. He won't be using video regardless of what is decided here. I don't mind seeing a higher cap on what we are able to post if it doesn't have a noticable effect on the file size itself.
Sure
Yes, spboxer3 knows exactly.
But as mm201 said, higher dimensions requires more system resource.

Look at the fps and the quality of these pictures please.

The point is this.
1. To play HD video requires higher system specs.
2. HD video requires high bitrate to keep the quality. If you give low bitrate for HD video, it's not HD anymore.

Ranking Criteria wrote:

The video's dimensions must not exceed 800x600 for the 4:3 format, or 854x480 for the 16:9 widescreen format. This is so video files keep a decent filesize and do not increase the beatmap's size by too much.
But the current ranking criteria doesn't explain correctly the reasons why we limit the video's dimensions.

By the way I'm really weak at making proper sentense because of my bad English skill.
So please someone fix the ranking criteria if you understand the point that I wrote.

And.. I agree with increasing the dimensions of the video to 1280x720 for 16:9. Yeah, it's 2014 already.
blissfulyoshi
There hasn't been much activity here lately, but felt like casting my support behind the change.

As already stated on the thread, with the file size limit already in place, there really is little point to limiting to 480p when me sad 5 yr old laptop with an AMD Tuturion x2 with ATI Mobility HD 3450 (in short inferior to the Intel HD4000) can run a 720p video. So unless you fall into the category

On a slightly unrelated note, I did notice, that when I sent osu! videos with really high bitrates (200mb in 4min), it randomly tells me that I don't have the video drivers to play it and the video will fail until I restart osu!.
Loctav
Doesn't this require approval from the developer camp?
lolcubes

dkun wrote:

My laptop can't. At least not when something else is taking up CPU already.
:(

But then again I have to disable videos for osu! already, since I get massive fps spikes if I don't.
Ekaru

dkun wrote:

You got something against my desktop? Look, its specs are amazing!

1.8Ghz AMD single core CPU that's so fucking old I don't know its name
Radeon 9550
2GB DDR1 RAM
50-ish GB HDD

As you can see, it's very modern and powerful but can't even do 480p at 120+FPS. Fuck off. >:(

Forking over the dough for a modern mainstream laptop last week was 100% worth it.
Kytoxid
Alright, we're getting a bit off-topic. My proposal is to change our video rules to:

- Max video dimensions to 1280x720.
- Max video size to 16 MB.

Thoughts?
lolcubes
Size is irrelevant. You can't submit a set above 25MB anyway.
Kytoxid

lolcubes wrote:

Size is irrelevant. You can't submit a set above 25MB anyway.
Good point.

Proposed change:

becomes...
The video's dimensions must not exceed 1280x720. This ensures video files do not become excessively large or resource intensive.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the client preventing addition of 720p video (unlike the background resolution), but can someone double-check?
Ekaru
720p isn't a very common computer resolution so it doesn't really strike me as a good cap; most people play osu! on computer monitors, not TVs. I would go with 768p max with 720p recommended for your typical anime and other 720p material.

EDIT: Also, have a clause that says that SD stuff must still be in SD.
Kytoxid

Ekaru wrote:

720p isn't a very common computer resolution so it doesn't really strike me as a good cap; most people play osu! on computer monitors, not TVs. I would go with 768p max with 720p recommended for your typical anime and other 720p material.
I think most video material is 720p though; I can't think of any immediate cases where video content is made in 768p, and I'd like to stop silly people upscaling 720p content to 768p just because "I want it as high as possible".

EDIT: Also, have a clause that says that SD stuff must still be in SD.
Not quite sure what you mean here; isn't SD stuff by definition SD...?
Ekaru
That's true, some people are really stupid about upscaling. That would be for 1080p stuff down to 768p but that would be rarer than poopoo heads upscaling.

By that clause I mean to stop silly people from upscaling SD stuff to 720p for no reason.
show more