forum

Wrist/Finger pain/tingling while playing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Voidn
If you experience wrist/finger pain/tingling while playing OSU! there's no cause for alarm, though there is cause for concern. Pain, numbness, or tingling can be caused by a few things, the most common being Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. This doesn't mean you need to stop playing, but simply take some precautionary measures so it doesn't get worse.

:?: So what is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

:idea: Basically, it's pain, tingling, and other problems in your hand caused by pressure on the median nerve in your wrist, which in turn is caused by swelling in the Carpal Tunnel.

:?: Is that bad?

:idea: Yes, it can be if left untreated and gets worse. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can cause Peripheral neuropathy, which means your nerves don't work as they should. This could mean anything from weakness, to pain, to difficulty controlling effected muscles.

:?: How did I get Carpal Tunnel?

:idea: Since you're here on the OSU! forums, it's most likely that you got it from making the same hand movements over and over, especially if the wrist is bent down (your hands lower than your wrists), or making the same wrist movements over and over while playing. That might not be the only reason, though. Carpal Tunnel has been linked to Diabetes, Thyroid problems, and smoking.

:?: How do i get rid of it?

:idea: Unless the pain is severe (in which case, immediately see a doctor) you can often do small things to relieve and lessen the pain of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:

1. STOP PLAYING. The first (and most important) is often the most obvious. Now, this doesn't mean you need to stop playing completely, you just need to take frequent and regular breaks while playing. If you feel a tingling sensation while playing, you should stop, and wait until a few minutes after the feeling is completely gone before resuming play.

2. ICE Ice your wrist and hand for periods of 10-15 minutes 1-2 times an hour. It might sound excessive, but the key here is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is inflammatory, and ice is easy to obtain and use as treatment.

3. Taking Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) is often a recommended treatment by doctors. They're readily available in many places and forms, but i'd suggest consulting a doctor before use.

4. Adjust your play style.

a. For those of you with pain in your pen hand, you should adjust the play size of your tablet so that you have more free movement of your wrist. Making small, repeated movements is a no-no.

b. Raise/lower your chair or play position so that your wrists rest at nearly a level plane with your arms, but tilted slightly upward. Relax your shoulders when they rest at your sides.

c. Immobilizing your wrist and hand. Wearing a splint to keep your hand a wrist straight can be useful for combating Carpal Tunnel while you sleep (though it may take some getting used to).

5. If you have elevated pain, and what I suggest here does little to help, I REALLY recommend seeing a doctor. There can be many other more serious problems related with pain and discomfort like this, serious cases of Carpal Tunnel require surgery to relieve pressure on your median nerve.

:?: How can i prevent it?

:idea: In addition to anything I've said already, stretching and frequent breaks are excellent. Preventing the advancement of Carpal Tunnel through stretching is really easy, but instead of explaining it here, you should check out Youtube for exercises you can do at home, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... TxQqu9USC4

And that's it! If you still have questions, you can ask them here, ask a doctor, or ask Google. OSU! ON! :D
Maou-kun
Thanks bro, but I have a question, Does having carpal tunnel mean your fingers are sensitive to heat? like when I touch something that's a bit hot, my fingers felt uncomfortable and numbing increases, I searched and it said that heat is used to treat carpal tunnel

(sorry for posting in an inactive topic)
rematyar
necro posting a 7 years old forum. nice
- Virtu -

Rematyar wrote:

actually it seems fine to me, questions are always welcomed
rematyar

Qiyana-sama wrote:

Rematyar wrote:

actually it seems fine to me, questions are always welcomed
ok cool
Joon Yorigami

Maou-kun wrote:

Thanks bro, but I have a question, Does having carpal tunnel mean your fingers are sensitive to heat? like when I touch something that's a bit hot, my fingers felt uncomfortable and numbing increases, I searched and it said that heat is used to treat carpal tunnel

(sorry for posting in an inactive topic)
If my interpretation of https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9883855/ is correct, yes, it means your finger are sensitive to heat. Though heat is also used to cure inflammations using heat therapy, but ice is more preferred.
PP Tenshi
Please help me. I am suffering finger tingling/numbness now. This is a first I had it on my finger/hand.

Usually I suffer tingling/numbness on my leg or foot area due to sitting on the same position too long. But after a while, it usually will go away.

But now, I'm having it on my little and ring finger. On my left hand (tapping hand). This F*** me up because I tap using index and ring finger. And the weirdest part is, it just wont go away. The tingling/numbness stays for days (around 1 week now) even now.

Please help, I dont want to amputate my fingers...f....
IryN

PP Tenshi wrote:

Please help me. I am suffering finger tingling/numbness now. This is a first I had it on my finger/hand.

Usually I suffer tingling/numbness on my leg or foot area due to sitting on the same position too long. But after a while, it usually will go away.

But now, I'm having it on my little and ring finger. On my left hand (tapping hand). This F*** me up because I tap using index and ring finger. And the weirdest part is, it just wont go away. The tingling/numbness stays for days (around 1 week now) even now.

don't necropost. If you need help with something related, i would say it's best to just make a new post (:
Manishh

PP Tenshi wrote:

Doctor?
kujubuo

PP Tenshi wrote:

take a break and go to a doctor