forum

Suggestion for COOP mode...

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +30
Topic Starter
James
Hey guys I got a stupid idea for multiplayer~
I'm not sure if this was posted already, laziness...

Since TAG requires players to alternately hit the circles every new combocolor...
Why not make a two different beatmaps, combine it into one and different players would play those beatmaps at the same time?
I'm not really sure how to explain this but.. and i think this would require alot of co--- meh peppy can do anything.

1. Player X makes two difficulties in one song (example, normal and hard)
2. Theres this new feature called "combine beatmaps for COOP" *click*
3. In order to play the map, it needs two people (for normal and hard to play properly)
4. While playing, you can also see the other player play his own difficulty---
4.1. In grayed-out circles, you can see his cursor too, but its slightly different
4.2. Hitsounds is slightly lower than the one currently playing
4.3.~4.100. yadda yadda i forgot =(

Yeah, it will be kinda confusing but I think its fun~
LuigiHann
I think this was one of the ideas thrown around for multiplayer, back before multiplayer was implemented. I support it.
Jinxy
I have seen mattyu007's multi videos. Why not do something like that?

(The size of the maps is a problem though...)
Hanyuu
hi

I really like this idea

if you watch this beatmap on autoplay http://osu.ppy.sh/s/4458 james idea could be something like that. not 100% the same bcause it looks like the same difficulty for every player. but if there are 2 player playing different difficulties this could make a nice sound
Echo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
Are both players multi-playing both beatmaps, or is it like you're playing a beatmap while simultaneously spectating someone playing a different beatmap of the same song?
Topic Starter
James
playing both beatmaps at the same time
anonymous_old

Echo wrote:

I remember peppy saying there's too much lag to transfer mouse movements (or any information, really) in real time.
Because the other players' cursors are supposed to be in the background, bandwidth can be saved by only reporting the points for the hit (0, 50, 100, 300), and AutoPiloting the mouse and such. (If I recall the points for the hit are already sent in multiplayer).

I don't understand this idea ... Perhaps a conceptual screenshot could help, and clarify any discrepancies.
ToRMeNToR_84
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
James
Gemi
LuigiHann
I wouldn't mind if, cosmetically, the other player was represented with autoplay, to eliminate the effects of lag. Scorewise it would still be based on both players' performance. Know what I mean?
anonymous_old
Reading ToRMeNToR_84's post makes me interested. =] Thanks for the clarification.

I think having multiple difficulties would be better than one with two or more notes to be hit at once. There are several reasons for this:
  1. A single difficulty can be played stand-alone. This means the map isn't coop-only.
  2. If you have two players who want to play a three-player co-op map, one difficulty could be dropped.
  3. Modding would be difficult (new style of play, and difficult to playtest), thus reducing a co-op map's chance of being ranked (or approved).
  4. Editing would be strange as you'd have to basically support multiple hit objects at the same time as a feature of the editor rather than something which 'just happens'.
If co-op were to be split across several difficulties, there's only one change which needs to be made to the editor. The person mapping needs to be able to see the other difficulties on the screen (probably grayed) when modding one difficulty. The other difficulty (or difficulties) should be selectable by the mapper. (Obviously it should be disabled by default.) This can be done in several ways, including:
  1. Have multiple timelines displayed. Each timeline represents a difficulty. When you select a note in a different timeline (from the timeline, not the play area thing, please!), that difficulty will become active. Difficulties are selected in a menu option (below).
  2. Difficulties are simply selected as several menu options. E.g., View -> Difficulties -> One menu checkbox per (other) difficulty. Editing would be more difficult if you want to synchronize difficulties, especially when starting out. However, visual clutter is reduced and it's less likely you'll make the mistake of moving notes of other difficulties unintentionally or switch difficulties by accident.
One major issue: how would scoring work? Obviously there'd be standard co-op and team co-op, like with tag-team. Will the scores be averaged like in team standard, or will combos accumulate together like in tag-team?

LuigiHann wrote:

I wouldn't mind if, cosmetically, the other player was represented with autoplay, to eliminate the effects of lag. Scorewise it would still be based on both players' performance. Know what I mean?
Agreed, at least for online play. As Gemi mentioned, LAN games probably will have less lag and more accurate background replays can be done.
Gemi
LuigiHann
anonymous_old

LuigiHann wrote:

strager wrote:

I think having multiple difficulties would be better than one with two or more notes to be hit at once. There are several reasons for this:

words
I think James's idea is that you map them as two distinct difficulties, then hit some checkbox somewhere that says "link these two and make them co-op only." I think that last step may not be necessary, but it would be nice to have a co-op exclusive option for when you make a map with that specific purpose.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote.

The first part was about why James' idea of combining multiple difficulties is better than ToRMeNToR_84's suggestion of having one map with multiple hit circles at one time.

The second part was about how it'd be easier to create co-op-able maps in the editor. I don't mean to say there's an option saying "this is a co-op" map (I would think co-op would work with any two or more difficulties).
Topic Starter
James
ToRMeNToR_84
I was thinking about this idea and...

LuigiHann wrote:

I think James's idea is that you map them as two distinct difficulties, then hit some checkbox somewhere that says "link these two and make them co-op only." I think that last step may not be necessary, but it would be nice to have a co-op exclusive option for when you make a map with that specific purpose.
I'm thinking with this idea, we could make a Special or Official 'Coop Map Pack' and have a Major Collaberation work with all the top mappers in osu!. I can think of a lot right now. Example: Rolled, James, Alace, DaRRi, Choose CaramellDansen to map. All 4 of them each map an [Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane] Difficulties. Since Multiplayer has an 8 player limit per lobby, The maximum Coop player limit is 4vs4, Hence why we need 4 mappers per song. Depending on which type of players are playing, Casual, or hardcore players, they can mutually decide what difficulty to play. If they decide Hard, Then the 4 mappers [Hard's] will be played simultaneously. The player does not get to choose which mappers difficulty he is going to play, it is generated randomly to keep it challenging to some degree.

So yeah I'm thinking these maps would be Coop Only, or else each song is going to have 16 difficulties to play in regular osu! lol. Could be a bad idea after all lol.

I'm pretty sure we can get the Mapping community involved in this idea and see cool collaberations.

Lag would be the main issue........
Onime-no-Kyo
I skipped a fair bit due to large paragraphs, but I'm assuming that there'd only be 1 life bar, and that its shared by both players then if they're playing different maps?

As for lag etc. its the same with higer end games and bullet telegraphing.
but considering the low requirements of this game i think it could be done.

Just make the slower connection host, i think that alone would solve a few problems.
Zelos

Onime-no-Kyo wrote:

I skipped a fair bit due to large paragraphs, but I'm assuming that there'd only be 1 life bar, and that its shared by both players then if they're playing different maps?

As for lag etc. its the same with higer end games and bullet telegraphing.
but considering the low requirements of this game i think it could be done.

Just make the slower connection host, i think that alone would solve a few problems.
I honestly dont think it really works that way.

As for 1 life bar, i disagree, why not just keep the same HP bar. its mostly based on points in a multi match anyway.
show more