forum

Advice on improving? (generic question I know...)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Meta-xx
Hi everyone!

So I started playing Osu! a little over a year ago now, and I got stuck in a rut on 3.5-4* maps for a short while until I bought myself a tablet (Huion 420, naturally), and now I can comfortably S most 4-4.5* maps with relative ease, and I can now finish 5-5.5* maps, though not consistently to S standard yet.

As of last week I increased the play area of my tablet to match my screen ratio (prior to this my play area was pretty small, around 40% of the available play area), and while it's difficult to get used to having to move more, I've found my jumps getting more accurate. My main problem right now are bursts and streamers. I can do short bursts, and longer bursts on maps I'm familiar with, the same goes for streamers, but I know I've got a long way to go. I do have training maps that I try to play more or less every day, and it's working to a point, it's just slow.

I'm currently ~82k, ~98.2% accuracy. I've got loads of maps downloaded, though admittedly not as much as everyone else it would seem (I've got about 2200 beatmaps available as of right now). Ha ha.

I try to force myself to play maps that I find challenging, but maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe there's some tips that more experienced players can offer me, because now I seem to getting stuck in a rut again just like I did before getting my tablet.

So, any tips or advice? I know this is a super generic, asked a million times by as many players type question, but all the same if anyone has any guidance relevant to me I'd be more than appreciative?

Thanks in advance guys!
UnnamedBeast
can you easily do A ranks on 5* maps and FC some?

start going for 6* with NF.
alextabitha
A smaller mappool isn't all negative I have 27,000 maps, my Osu folder is bigger than some triple AAA games. I wouldn't say I have the experience to give advice but i'll try.

Firstly, when I also recently changed my mouse sensitivity(mouseplayerBTW) I had thesame experience I felt more comfortable with jumps but kept missing on small movements due to my muscle memory needing to re-adapt.

Second, PLAY MORE simple the more you play the better you will get. Currently, i'm not playing alot therefore i'm becoming worse this is annoying as I get easily angered when missing the only way to remedy this is for me to play more.

Finally, while you should always challenge yourself mastering the basics is important so don't transition to 5* without being able to consistently FC 4*.

Yours Sincerely,

CircleClicker
Brainage
1. Download the 8-9k maps folder in the description of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_af4kBFhQq0

From here, you can either watch the video or read these steps below:

2. Start at the difficulty you want to (4.5, 5, 5.5, etc.) and start playing maps.

3. After you finish the map, play the map below it.

4. Repeat Step 3 for a long period of time (I did ~5 weeks). After this period of time, try farming maps for a day, and you will set new top plays, along with moderate improvement. This is the only time you are allowed to retry maps, in order to see how far you've come with your training. Have fun!

This is how I cut my ranking by almost 20% on Sunday (for Australia at least)
DXPOHIHIHI
Never saw someone who improves at a slow rate like this, you should be able to fc atleast one 6* by now
C15U
1. Don't look at star rating. It's outdated system that only looks at spacing and timing between objects (basically how fast auto has to move cursor). It doesn't reflect today's maps difficulty.
Airman is 7 star, and it's easily passable by any 5 digit.

2. Don't look at PP. Despite it being more accurate on calculating difficulty, it's not perfect. Big Black SS is 322pp, less than my top play, yet not even 50 people in osu! history FCed it.

3. Don't stick to what top players or anyone says (I feel like you increased your tablet area because you heard someone said it's better). Find what you feel comfortable with and stick with it (your jumps can be more accurate, because you actually started reading them after changing tablet area, instead of leaving this to muscle memory).

4. Make a collection, with practice maps. Every aspect of skill train individually. You have to focus to actually learn, and focusing on jumps when you have to read whole time is impossible. Yes it's boring, but effective. Find long stream map, space-changing stream map, random jumps map (literally no patterns, just circles appearing on screen) and technical map.
DarkFangz
I just hit 82k rank as well about a week or 2 ago, and I've been playing for almost 3 years, so you're doing fine
Darud3
I downloaded this game for the first time in June, and really started playing in July. I played a ton of maps that I could barely pass or that I couldn't pass. That got me used to how the maps would be when I got to that level, and then I'd go back to some easier maps and do them. I rarely play for rank as well. So far I've been able to pass one 7 star and a handful of 6s with this take on the game. Just use what tablet area you're comfortable with, and experiment with skins and things. Game gets much easier to improve at the more fun you have with it. Download loved, ranked, unranked maps, whatever is fun. Screw pp and FCs, play to have fun and to challenge yourself and you'll get better fast.
show more