forum

Guide to making guides

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker
1) First think about what you to write a guide about. If you can't think of anything, then look around for inspiration. For example, my inspiration for writing this guide comes from Yuudachi-kun's Guide to starting stupid shit, Conicalegbert's guide to getting into OT!neus, and [ - Zekks - ]'s Guide to not starting stupid shit.

2) Making a numbered list to 3. Reason being if you can't think of anything but the first one you can always put down "???" for the 2nd one and "profit" for the third one. Take caution, though, as this technique has been overused in the recent years.

3) Start filling in the numbered steps. If you still can't think of any steps up to this points, think about how to get from point A to point B. If your guide is about how to stare at an apple, you don't just put "stare at apple" as the first step and be done with it. Where do you get the apple? Does any apple work? What if you blind? What if you have a staring disability? And so on. Just think of any little thing that can happen and list it. If you are desperate enough, you can go as far as handling a case where starring at the apple activates some god forsaken power, causing the apple to become sentient. Idk, I think that's pretty important case to write about since I don't want to be murdered by a sentient apple because I stared at it.

4) Make sure the guide makes sense. While you can write about sentient apples, make sure you don't go too much on a curve. If your guide becomes a thousand steps trying to save Earth from a sentient apple invasion from the planet applesause, you may need to revise.

5) Make sure the guide gets to point B. If you do end up going in a curve wider than your fat mom, the steps need to be going toward completing the guide's purpose at some step(s). If not, you can always change what the guide is about.

*6) Proofread you guide. You don't want to be giving yourself to the grammar nazis. See my handbook about how to deal with them here. I skipped this step, but I highly recommend not to.

7) Mark optional steps in one way or another. These steps do not have to be completed to get to point B, but are highly recommended. In this guide, I marked them with an asterisk before the step number

8) Post the guide. Your done!
johnmedina999

abraker wrote:

What if you blind?
Please don't skip Step 6.
kai99

abraker wrote:

1) First, think about what you to write a guide about. If you can't think of anything, then look around for inspiration. For example, my inspiration for writing this guide comes from Yuudachi-kun's Guide to starting stupid shit, Conicalegbert's guide to getting into OT!neus, and [ - Zekks - ]'s Guide to not starting stupid shit.

2) Makinge a numbered list to 3. Reason being if you can't think of anything but the first one you can always put down "???" for the 2nd one and "profit" for the third one. Take caution, though, as this technique has been overused in the recent years.

3) Start filling in the numbered steps. If you still can't think of any steps up to this points, think about how to get from point A to point B. If your guide is about how to stare at an apple, you don't just put "stare at apple" as the first step and be done with it. Where do you get the apple? Does any apple work? What if you're blind? What if you have a staring disability? And so on. Just think of any little thing that can happen and list it. If you are desperate enough, you can go as far as handling a case where starring at the apple activates some god forsaken power, causing the apple to become sentient. Idk, I think that's pretty important case to write about since I don't want to be murdered by a sentient apple because I stared at it.

4) Make sure the guide makes sense. While you can write about sentient apples, make sure you don't go too much on a curve. If your guide becomes a thousand steps trying to save Earth from a sentient apple invasion from the planet applesause, you may need to revise.

5) Make sure the guide gets to point B. If you do end up going in a curve wider than your fat mom, the steps need to be going toward completing the guide's purpose at some step(s). If not, you can always change what the guide is about.

*6) Proofread your guide. You don't want to be giving yourself to the grammar nazis. See my handbook about how to deal with them here. I skipped this step, but I highly recommend not to.

7) Mark optional steps in one way or another. These steps do not have to be completed to get to point B, but are highly recommended. In this guide, I marked them with an asterisk before the step number

8) Post the guide. Your're done!
johnmedina999

kai99 wrote:

abraker wrote:

1. First, think about what you to write a guide about. If you can't think of anything, then look around for inspiration. For example, my inspiration for writing this guide comes from Yuudachi-kun's Guide to starting stupid shit, Conicalegbert's guide to getting into OT!neus, and [ - Zekks - ]'s Guide to not starting stupid shit.
  2. Makinge a numbered list to 3, because if you can't think of anything but the first one, you can always put down "???" for the second one and "profit" for the third one. Take caution, though, as this technique has been overused in the recent years.
  3. Start filling in the numbered steps. If you still can't think of any steps up to this points, think about how to get from Point A to Point B. If your guide is about how to stare at an apple, you don't just write "stare at apple" as the first step and be done with it. "Where do you get the apple? Does any apple work? What if you're blind? What if you have a staring disability?" And so on. Just think of any little thing that can happen, and list it. If you are desperate enough, you can go as far as handling a case where starring at the apple activates some God-forsaken power, causing the apple to become sentient. I do not know, I think that's pretty important case to write about, since I don't want to be murdered by a sentient apple because I stared at it.
  4. Make sure the guide makes sense. While you can write about sentient apples, make sure you don't go on too much of a curve. If your guide becomes a thousand-steps process that tries to save Earth from a sentient apple invasion from the planet Applesause, you may need to revise.
  5. Make sure the guide gets to point B. If you do end up going on a curve wider than your fat mom, the steps need to be going toward completing the guide's purpose at some step(s). If not, you can always change what the guide is about.
  6. Proofread your guide. You don't want to be giving yourself in to the Grammar Nazis. See my handbook about how to deal with them here. I skipped this step, but I highly recommend not to.
  7. Mark optional steps in one way or another. These steps do not have to be completed to get to point B, but are highly recommended. In this guide, I marked them with an asterisk before the step number
  8. Post the guide. Your're done!
kai99
my sincerest condolences
Blitzfrog
Rip abraker

You will be missed
Lhahein

kai99 wrote:

abraker wrote:

1) First, think about what you to write a guide about. If you can't think of anything, then look around for inspiration. For example, my inspiration for writing this guide comes from Yuudachi-kun's Guide to starting stupid shit, Conicalegbert's guide to getting into OT!neus, and [ - Zekks - ]'s Guide to not starting stupid shit.

2) Makinge a numbered list to 3. Reason being if you can't think of anything but the first one you can always put down "???" for the 2nd one and "profit" for the third one. Take caution, though, as this technique has been overused in the recent years.

3) Start filling in the numbered steps. If you still can't think of any steps up to this points, think about how to get from point A to point B. If your guide is about how to stare at an apple, you don't just put "stare at apple" as the first step and be done with it. Where do you get the apple? Does any apple work? What if you're blind? What if you have a staring disability? And so on. Just think of any little thing that can happen and list it. If you are desperate enough, you can go as far as handling a case where starring at the apple activates some god forsaken power, causing the apple to become sentient. Idk, I think that's pretty important case to write about since I don't want to be murdered by a sentient apple because I stared at it.

*6) Proofread your guide. You don't want to be giving yourself to the grammar nazis. See my handbook about how to deal with them here. I skipped this step, but I highly recommend not to.

8) Post the guide. Your're done!