forum

[Archived] Crash when using old beatmaps (folders)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
centipedes_old
Problem Details:
I haven't played osu! in a few months, and coming back to it today I kept getting crashes within the first few minutes of opening the program. I decided to uninstall, reboot, and reinstall. That fixed things, and there were no more crashes until I replaced the Songs folder with my old one. Then the crashes started happening again. I cannot find any resources on how to convert or what to do with these old beatmaps... Are they simply unplayable now?

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
MillhioreF
Most likely, you've got one or two beatmaps that are broken.

To find them, you'll want to do what's called a binary search. Move half of your maps out of the Songs folder and see if the crashes still happen.
If they do, the corrupted map wasn't in that half, so you'll have to remove another half.
If they don't, the corrupted map is somewhere in the batch you removed, so put half of the maps from that batch back in.
Repeat until there are only corrupt maps left, or if you don't have that kind of patience, repeat until the game doesn't crash and you've recovered most of your maps.

If you do find a map that's definitely broken and causing crashes, could you upload it for us? We may be able to figure out what's gone wrong and stop it from crashing the game in the future. If you're getting any kind of error details (if a crying pippi appears, click her to see them) those would be nice to have as well.
Topic Starter
centipedes_old
I tried your suggestion and even went individually song by song for maybe 10 or 20 songs, but every single one caused the crash. I altered the program properties to ignore visual themes, and that let me play songs, but crashes--well more like a black screen, then crashes--upon exiting the song or song list. I'm at a loss.
VeilStar
What kind of crash is it? A 'generic' osu! has stopped working one? Or a "oh no!" window with a fancy image?
If the first one, could you dig into the event viewer and find the crash log and post it here?
If the second one, could you click that image, copy the crash log, and post it here?

If all else fails try the following: move the Songs folder elsewhere and then open osu! for it to create a new songs folder. Then copy (not move, copy) beatmap folders in in batches of 10 - 20 and see if that makes a difference?