forum

[Archived] Sparks while playing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vulkin
Problem Details:
While i play some Standard, the screen just gives out some weird sparks, interrupting some of the gameplay i try to do
It doesnt lag gameplay, It lasts for half a second.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3279180
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3279193
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3279207
(note the third pic means it happens even when there arent that many notes onscreen)

osu! version: 20150620cuttingedge
Tom94
Can you try disabling shaders and snaking sliders in the options and report back whether this issue still persists? Could you also let us know which graphics card you are running?
Topic Starter
Vulkin
My Card is an Integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics, and apparently the issue goes away if i have Snaking sliders off

Note: Just updated to 20150628cuttingedge, above apparently still applies

EDIT: Nevermind, with shaders sparks still appear
Trosk-

guitarlol wrote:

My Card is an Integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics, and apparently the issue goes away if i have Snaking sliders off

Note: Just updated to 20150628cuttingedge, above apparently still applies

EDIT: Nevermind, with shaders sparks still appear
As far as I know, it's not recommended to have Shaders activated if you have a poor GPU... If the sparks don't appear without Shaders, just don't use them. I know this sounds obvious, but I think failures like this can happen with an integrated GPU.
Topic Starter
Vulkin
Apparently they appear EVEN without those effects, but its possible Chrome eating my ram

For some reason this doesnt happen on Stable (which lags like HELL for me) when using DirectX
Guess i have no choice but to survive those sparkles
Topic Starter
Vulkin

Trosk- wrote:

As far as I know, it's not recommended to have Shaders activated if you have a poor GPU... If the sparks don't appear without Shaders, just don't use them. I know this sounds obvious, but I think failures like this can happen with an integrated GPU.
I know that might happen but why it happens with Beta and CE builds that use OpenGL but not Stable which i use DirectX?
I dont know too much of technology (Trying to learn it) so i might need to know
VeilStar

guitarlol wrote:

I know that might happen but why it happens with Beta and CE builds that use OpenGL but not Stable which i use DirectX?
I dont know too much of technology (Trying to learn it) so i might need to know
Well, here's a simplified explanation of why (to my knowledge):
OpenGL and DirectX are both graphics APIs that require different code and handle things differently (yet in a very similar way).
Different GPUs can react differently depending on the API and the code used. Your GPU seems to have abysmal performance on DirectX for osu!, but alot better performance if you use OpenGL. For some reason it fails to correctly render out some part, causing these 'sparks'.
Sharpiee
To me it looks like there are dead pixels that would be in the case of graphics issues... I had that issue and switching to Direct X fixed it for me...
Trosk-

L2aserSharp wrote:

To me it looks like there are dead pixels that would be in the case of graphics issues... I had that issue and switching to Direct X fixed it for me...
In your case, it was because you were using OpenGL on Stable release stream. OpenGL on Stable has so many bugs and issues like this, so, it's not recommended to use it. If you want to keep using Stable version, use DirectX. If you want to keep using OpenGL, change release stream to Beta or Cutting Edge, since OpenGL on those release streams is much more optimized and advanced than the used on Stable. Also, osu! is going to be OpenGL only in the future, whenever it is properly optimized.
Sharpiee
OpenGL did not work for me on CE either which is sort of weird... maybe once they optimize it more.
Topic Starter
Vulkin
sorry for the late answer

About that Performance thing, Does it mean my GPU is just not for osu!?
Sharpiee
Well one thing for sure is that if you have not already reinstalling Osu! would be a good idea...
Making sure your graphics drivers are up to date.
VeilStar

guitarlol wrote:

About that Performance thing, Does it mean my GPU is just not for osu!?
No... Anything but a toaster should run osu! fine, regardless of what it is. Let's just leave it at that.

Sharpiee wrote:

Well one thing for sure is that if you have not already reinstalling Osu! would be a good idea...
Please don't advise people to do this. If there was an issue with the game files osu! likely wouldn't even run in the first place.
The repair option (which can be accesed through the config window by holding shift when starting osu!) is what you should use in that case.
Don't re-install the game, it's more likely to break your experience rather than fixing it.
abraker
Something similar happened to my friend's computer when using chrome (kinda went away on its own). For what I can say, it is DEFINITELY an issue with your graphics card. I suggest you start out by updating your drivers. If it still happens, try playing around with different resolutions. Other than that, googling seems to give me limited results :/
Topic Starter
Vulkin
So Basically either i do stuff to my near toaster laptop or i get another laptop so i can fix this glitch right?
TheVileOne
We're going to try our best to make sure the transition to openGl is just as good if not better than with directX. This appears to be behaviour that directX handles better. There may still be hope yet on a solution.