forum

[Archived] Sharing a Song directory on Linux

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Coupon11
I am using Fedora 21 with a dual boot with Windows 7. I have some songs in my Windows partition that I wanted to share in Linux. However, whenever I modify the osu!.coupon.cfg, it is overwritten. When I change it to read only (chmod 0444 osu\!.coupon.cfg), it will create a new configuration file (like osu!.coupon.cfc.631234879). How do I create a configuration file that is not reset all the time? Also, how would I symbolically link the two folders in Linux (I have seen post talking about Windows linking, but none with Linux).

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
WujekGrzyb
Don't you use separate osu! installation for each OS?
Score_Under

Coupon11 wrote:

How do I create a configuration file that is not reset all the time?
Without changing your username on either the windows or linux install this might be difficult. What I do instead is set up Osu! separately on Linux but create symbolic links to the Skins and Songs directories, so they share the important stuff.

As for how to do that, it's not too hard
cd ~/music/osu\!
rm -rf Skins Songs
ln -st. /mnt/win/osu\!/{Skins,Songs}
You'll need to change the paths to match real paths on your system. Where "~/music/osu\!" should be changed to the path of your fresh osu! install, and "/mnt/win/osu\!" should be changed to the path of your Windows osu! install. The tab key is your friend here ;) .

A more difficult approach
It is difficult to do it without installing it separately. You will need to swap out the config file before Osu! runs. Swapping the linux and windows config every time you want to play might not play well with improper shutdowns. The only real safe way to do this is with bind mounts (i.e. "mount --bind osu!linux.cfg osu!.coupon.cfg") but you'll need to set this up to run as root and to run automatically before osu starts. If your windows disk is in your fstab then you could just make an fstab entry out of that too ("/path/to/linux.cfg /path/to/osu!.coupon.cfg none bind 0 0"). Otherwise, you could make a helper script to perform this mount, give an exception in sudoers to run that script without a password, and call the helper from the script you use to launch osu (assuming you use a script). Of course, you'd have to be careful about permissions on the script and its parent directories, and environment variables that might mess with it, otherwise it becomes a security hole.
It also wouldn't hurt to ensure that the bind mount is only done once per boot.

That said, I haven't booted into Windows in a very long time. Perhaps you won't need this sharing after all.