forum

[resolved] Issues specific to "ce45" experimental branch.

posted
Total Posts
show more
NeetBSD
On my windows 8 partition the game ran quite nicely nothing really bad happened other than the sliders being non existent

the performance however was pretty much the same as what I'm used to getting
AstralPhnx
Well because the cutting edge release is running somewhat stable on my machine I guess I'll help with any testing or crash dumps if needs be.
Really openGL's general performance was spot on which was a nice surprise as I've had a bad history with osu and opengl in the past.

I did run into the afformentioned invisible slider glitch on my windows 8.1 machine as well as having the game crash each time I exited a map.
AstralPhnx
Right, mania seems to work fine for me.

I also managed to grab the crashlog for when the game randomly pops up with the crash after exiting a song.

Crashlog below.

OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsContextException: Failed to make context 131072 current. Error: -1073278755
at OpenTK.Platform.Windows.WinGLContext.MakeCurrent(IWindowInfo window)
at OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsContext.MakeCurrent(IWindowInfo window)
at #=qRxFmtA7r2oFh5eLDP2Hl7g==.#=q0OaqfYwYNONWDe8$kLK$7KJuWnRCht_MBTHFiiuzPS8=()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I'm still a bit of a code newbie so I can't really make a huge amount of sense of that. Will most likely make more sense to you.
Arras

Tuxdude143 wrote:

I also managed to grab the crashlog for when the game randomly pops up with the crash after exiting a song.

Crashlog below.

OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsContextException: Failed to make context 131072 current. Error: -1073278755
at #=qRxFmtA7r2oFh5eLDP2Hl7g==.#=q0OaqfYwYNONWDe8$kLK$7KJuWnRCht_MBTHFiiuzPS8=()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

I'm still a bit of a code newbie so I can't really make a huge amount of sense of that. Will most likely make more sense to you.
I get the exact same error literally every time I quit a song, even if I quit a song while it's still loading. If you finish playing a song, it crashes on the result screen instead. Game seems to run normally behind the error though. Alt-Tab works just fine. Latest .NET I have is 4.5.1. Haven't seen texture corruption so far though (possibly since I can't play more than one song because it crashes). Also, it seems like there is some performance decrease.

DirectX Cutting Edge vs OpenGL ce45, both borderless windowed, unlimited FPS, same maps, same graphical settings, same skin.
Watching a replay on osu!standard with HDDT, song with video: ~130-140FPS on dx, ~110 on openGL.
Watching a replay on osu!standard with HDDT, song with really heavy storyboard: ~150 normally, ~110 dips on dx, ~130 normally, dips to ~85 on openGL.
Watching a replay on taiko with DT, song without video: 210~ on dx, ~170 on openGL.
Watching autoplay play a really hard keysounded + video osu!mania chart (Black Lair Another bms convert): ~210 on dx, ~130 on openGL.
Song Select, idling: 150 on dx, 120 on openGL
Song Select, fairly quickly scrolling: 160 on dx (yes, higher than idling for some reason), dips to 100-110 for a second when reversing direction. 110 on openGL, dips to 80-90 when reversing direction.
Main menu: ~170 on dx, 160 on openGL

Intel HD 3000, which might explain why openGL doesn't do all that hot. Still much, much better than it was before though (mostly because of unlimited causing drops from ie 140 to 120 while 60 gets drops from 60 to 45, which is much more noticeable)
Arras
Something else entirely, which I don't believe has been mentioned yet: The screenshots speak for themselves.
Normal cutting edge:

ce45:

I mean I suppose blue skin is fine too, but still.
Seems to happen with every video I've tried (avi, mp4, mpg). Here's a pic of Naruto with green hair
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/2789911 (the background is supposed to be blue)
Seems like it swaps yellow and blue or something?
- Marco -

Arras wrote:

Something else entirely, which I don't believe has been mentioned yet: The screenshots speak for themselves.
Normal cutting edge:

ce45:

I mean I suppose blue skin is fine too, but still.
Seems to happen with every video I've tried (avi, mp4, mpg). Here's a pic of Naruto with green hair
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/2789911 (the background is supposed to be blue)
Seems like it swaps yellow and blue or something?
Also pippidon is blue to me D:
hoshisorakiseki

Tuxdude143 wrote:

Crashlog below.

+1, but i crash in editor:
1.select a song and enter editor
2.click "test" to enter test mode
3.quit test mode
4.boom!
在 OpenTK.Platform.Windows.WinGLContext.MakeCurrent(IWindowInfo window)
在 OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsContext.MakeCurrent(IWindowInfo window)
在 #=qxu$eqJ_Gyp4MLFwi9LbIQQ==.#=qMFAtXRCM_H5Ln5T6dnyjs0sovRMTi3anSsoLy7BTMGg=()
在 System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
在 System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
在 System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
在 System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
在 System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
and the slider colour are gley, not like the slider start or the slider end
edit: i use Problems Screen Recorder (psr.exe) to make a file to log the steps:
http://puu.sh/g4I3a/889645571b.mht
Fredgido

peppy wrote:

You say performance is lower, but you give no actual numbers. You should mention if directx was running fullscreen and actual frame rate comparisons. Make sure you are at the same screen in each case, on the same map, at the same point in time, doing the same thing.
Performance comparison directx non fullscreen vs new opengl, playing same map, same everthing and recording the frame times. Tested twice each and results were exactly the same.
OpenGL:
frametime:
fps:
DirectX:
frametime:
fps:

As you can see performance of opengl is about 2/3 of directx and has more frame spikes. But it is much better than the opengl on beta/stable. :)
Specs are i7 920 at 3.67ghz, Ati HD5850, 6GB RAM.
My bottleneck is my cpu, gpu is around 40-60% utilization. Here is a comparison of frame times in directx when my graphic card is underclocked to 50% vs 100%. Those spikes are spinners I think.

Please tell me if you need any more performance testing.

Btw anyone knows if there is any plans of making osu multithreaded?
Topic Starter
peppy
Thanks much for the comprehensive benchmarks. This helps a lot. I'll get back to you after the next opengl performance pass. We have a lot left to optimise (I am aware the CPU usage of GL is higher, and this is due to code in osu!, not opengl itself).

All known issues have been fixed for this branch, so please report if you are still noticing any problems.
Pampel
The cursor is invisible when extended chat console is toggled.
EDIT:Actually seems to happen to the Windows like cursor in general. Or at least also while watching replays.

And the song title in the main menu disappeared after osu! was running in the background for some time.
ThePooN
If I can still help, I can also do benchmarks like Fredgido with GTX980, i7 3770 with osu! and Windows 8.1 installed on SSD. Can also test while recording with OBS and OBS-Studio.
On the same machine I also have Debian Wheezy with osu! also installed on it, still installed on a SSD. Can also test while recording with OBS-Studio.

Tell me if this can help you (it's pretty long to do :P)
vide
When I've played osu! for about 15~ minutes, the client starts bugging graphically and flashlight can be played without any dimming of the screen. Here is a demostration of this happening:

Restarting the client makes the problem go away, but it returns again for unknown reasons after a while.
Haganenno
Not sure if that has been pointed out already, but Cutting-Edge OpenGL build makes mouse extremely unresponsive, it overdraws and reacts slower than in DirectX. Reports/sec stays at maybe 10 less and ms is 2-3, meanwhile it's 0-1 in Stable-Beta-Cutting Edge(Not OpenGL)

I am using Raw Input, Mouse with no firmware
TicClick
so I guess I can replicate so called texture corruption https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/2914230
this is what randomly happens with certain parts of interface if I keep osu! minimized

I also totally love that ce45 isn't greedy for focus and never restores its own inactive window on every occasion unless being asked to do so
YaLTeR
I'm still occasionally getting the white text and no FL texture corruption, not sure how to replicate though. Happens after a play finishes (either finished normally or esc-back to menu).

EDIT: I figured out how to replicate it.
1. Launch osu! through Steam (so you get SteamUI, this is what seems to be causing it).
2. Launch a beatmap and exit to the menu a few times. Usually happens from one or two tries for me.
- Marco -

is it normal?

EDIT:It happend only one then it goes back to the center
BAldoTridentE

marcostudios wrote:

is it normal?

EDIT:It happend only one then it goes back to the center
Now i'm famous
MillhioreF
A bit late, but that only happens in replay/spectator mode, and it is not specific to this branch.
Fullerene-
When running on this branch, I get an issue where if a dialog box pops up (e.g. editor confirmation prompt, timing menu, sample import) and it is clicked anywhere bringing the box into focus, the client minimizes and the dialog box disappears. This essentially makes it impossible to exit the editor without killing the process if any changes are made, as no option is selected and the box disappears as the client minimizes.

Has anyone else had this issue on ce45? I'd really like to fully switch over to this branch, because I get much better performance in and outside of gameplay, but I have to switch back to cutting edge/beta/stable every time I want to use the editor because of this issue.
TheVileOne
Sliders lose their texture when you select them. The texture is not drawing in the correct place.
Topic Starter
peppy
This branch is tentatively merged into cutting edge now. Please continue to report issues in the cuttingedge thread.

Thanks to those that helped test so far.