forum

[Archived] osu resetting at launch

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
zaeriel
Everytime I launch osu my settings always reset to default. Anyone else had this issue? Is there a known fix?
Flanster
This should not happen. Is your osu! folder set to read only? Do you have administrator access to it? Does it work if you rightclick on the osu!.exe and "Run as Administrator"?
Topic Starter
zaeriel
My osu folder is set to read only, I have administrator access to it. If I run as admin it opens the game but my settings still get reset to default.
VeilStar
In your osu! installation folder, do you have a file named "osu!.<usernamehere>.cfg"? (You should have it.)
If you do, right click -> propreties that file, and make sure it's not set to read-only.
Topic Starter
zaeriel
I have this file and it is not set to read only.
VeilStar

YEEZY SEASON wrote:

I have this file and it is not set to read only.
I assume this is because osu! can't write to / read from this file properly.
If you delete it (while osu! is closed) the then open osu!and change some settings, does it still reset?
Topic Starter
zaeriel
I deleted it while osu was closed. I open and closed the game 4 times and it was working fine. On my 5th open it just reset everything again. :/
Topic Starter
zaeriel

YEEZY SEASON wrote:

I deleted it while osu was closed. I open and closed the game 4 times and it was working fine. On my 5th open it just reset everything again. :/
I also reinstalled the game earlier on today to see if that helped but it did not.
VeilStar

YEEZY SEASON wrote:

That's really odd.
If you have multiple HDDs, could you copy (copy, not move) your osu! over to a different one and see if it's the same story on there?
Or if you just have 1, copy it to a different location and test the same thing.
May I ask what your UAC (windows user account control) settings are set to? If not 'default' set it to default.

YEEZY SEASON wrote:

I also reinstalled the game earlier on today to see if that helped but it did not.
Re-installing is never a good idea.
Topic Starter
zaeriel
My UAC settings are default. I'll try copying my osu folder and see if that helps.
When I start the game it just ignores my current cfg and creates a new one.
Its not set to read only.

Thanks for your help so far.
VeilStar

YEEZY SEASON wrote:

When I start the game it just ignores my current cfg and creates a new one.
What happens to the old cfg file then? Does it get renamed with a long number string behind it?

I guess for now all I can really suggest is getting a .cfg file with your settings and copying that elsewhere.
Then everytime it gets reset you copy that copied .cfg file back to your root osu! folder so it applies the settings again.
Not a fix, just makes things a little easier on you.

Anyway. I guess I'll wait and see what happens when you copy your entire osu! folder.
If that doesn't fix it then I'm clueless and someone that has a better idea of why this might happen would be better.
(Which would probably be a dev or so.)