forum

[Archived] osu! crashes with 2 graphics cards & window-mode!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jere-Sama
Hello Community <3

Background Information
I'm playing osu! on my laptop, having 2 graphics cards.
Renderer: DirectX
Frame Limiter: 240 (FPS IS NOT MY PROBLEM)

Lag issues
If I try to play osu! with my standard low graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 3000), I would experience hard lag in-game. - No chance using this card.
Fixed the lags with playing with my 2nd graphics card (Geforce 610M).

osu! version: For every version I've ever played, finally wrote a ticket.

1. Crash in window-mode
If I try to play osu! in window-mode regardless if borderless or not, it crashes after a short amount of time.
Logical Fix: Playing in fullscreen. :( (I'm already playing in window-mode for a long time, but I would prefer another solution, probably not with this laptop, though.)

2. Crash in osu! edit mode
I can't test my songs in osu! edit mode, If I'm testing it, my game lags and would crash after a short amount of time playing.

deliberations
most probably causes of crashes
- edit mode displays in window mode and/or starts with standard graphics card

potential solution
- adding the option to decide, if the edit mode should start full screen.
excluded point
excluding the point, that I'm not able to decide, which graphics card I want to use to start the edit mode. It probably starts with the graphics card, which I used to start osu!.

potential solution for the graphics card point
- adding a osu!edit.exe in the osu! folder - with that I could select the option to start osu!edit.exe with my 2nd graphics card.

Anybody else experienced similar problems?

Thanks for reading my post.

Best Fix
Buying a new fucking computer, thanks for mentioning it, because of given circumstances I'm not able to afford a new one.

Sincerely,
InZane
VeilStar
Topic Starter
Jere-Sama
as i stated above,

1. I'm just having lag problems with my low graphics card (which I don't even want to use, I had to mention it for context)

2. osu! crashes after playing for some short amount of time in window-mode, switched to fullscreen for fixing it.

3. I'm currently trying to be able to play in edit mode for testing my map, which is not possible because of stated problems above.
VeilStar
That's why I linked the thread. Try what's been posted there, and see if it works or not, or if anything changed.
Topic Starter
Jere-Sama
Yours didn't help.
I set my main graphics card to my "good" graphics card, I didn't want to do that, but can't change it for now.
Before it was set to auto selecting a card, what I preferred.
Anyways, thanks for trying to help. <3
Topic Starter
Jere-Sama
After changing my main graphics card, my osu! edit still crashes. It didn't fix anything.
My guess is, that osu edit is shown in window mode and as I said, everything in window mode crashes, atleast in osu!.
Any way to set the edit mode fullscreen?
drum drum
Have you tried using only one card
Kitsunemimi

drum drum wrote:

Have you tried using only one card
That's not the way Optimus works.

This seems like a strange issue. You haven't mentioned if you tried changing renderers.
Go to your options menu, and try switching from DirectX to OpenGL and see if that makes a difference (if it doesn't, just change it back).

Also, do other windowed applications crash for you? What happens if you try to play other games in Windowed mode?

Try updating your graphics drivers as well and see if that works.
TheVileOne
What kind of crash? osu has stopped working?

Confirm whether it only crashes after you go idle.

Edit mode will be borderless if you set your windowed resolution to borderless or enter it in fullscreen. There is no such thing as fullscreen for the editor.

It sounds like you have an older computer. How much does your RAM usage go up while you are playing? Programs may crash if they exceed the amount of allocated RAM set for that program by default. The game might throw a System Out of memory exception or just lock up, because it can't use any more RAM.

I am not knowledgeable about reasons why running a game in windowed could cause a crash on the graphics card level. I know that running it in fullscreen allows the game to optimize performance because the game takes priority over things running in the background such as the taskbar, desktop, other windows that may be open on your desktop. This performance gain is probably why you can play without causing a crash in fullscreen.
Topic Starter
Jere-Sama
Thanks for trying to help, of course I tried using the different renderer.

My crashes are the normal OSU! Crashes with sending a report option, it doesn't just close the window.
I think that it exceeds my RAM, thanks for mentioning it. I only have 4 RAM usable.
I'm just not sure about fixing that issue, tho.
drum drum
It has the error report window? Can you send the log over from the details tab please.
Arnold0
4 Gigs of ram is enouth for osu! I only had that on my old computer which I replaced ~ 2 months ago, and osu! was running fine. Also If I look right now, with many thinks openned like a few tabes on google chrome, skype, osu!..., Task manager says 4.1Gbyte used. Your computer should be more than able to play the game if you have a 2nd gen i3/5/7, my old one was a core 2 duo with an 9600M GS GPU, and the game was still holding the 120fps mark. However, my old one didn't had optimus.

It seams osu! doesn't crash in windowed borderless for me (left it open few minutes and no crash) but I usualy play full screen. However, I have many issues because of optimus on my new PC, and if osu! doesn't crash, some programs does or makes the graphics driver reset for like no reasons.
Also the editor mode does run with very lower FPS than the rest of the game (Not the test mode of the editor, or the map selection ater clicking edit, just the editor mode itself) but even after 20 minutes it didn't crash.

Have you tried updating the nVidia driver, and the intel HD graphics one too ?