forum

Gamemode selection interface redesign! [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
Nyaristoru
Hi! I thought of this idea out of the blue of making the selection of gamemode to be better and new.

Please take note that most graphics below are ugly, bogus and inexact. The graphics might be better (once approved) than you'll see right now, or it doesn't. Another thing is that this content may change a lot so I suggest you to look at the replies I have made that shows what improvements or changes that could apply to it to become an acceptable feature request!

We'll start off from the main menu. First off, the main menu doesn't need to be redesigned or changed (referring to figure 1) but up to figure 2, the figure I have roughly drawn below will replace the current sub-menu that currently exists on the game. Basically, a simple click on 'Play' button will directly lead you to the figure below that I thought it would be neat:

Clicking on a button of the gamemode you'd specifically like to play will stud out longer than the other game mode buttons, and the middle section of the menu will show a larger thumbnail or icon of the CTB game mode as an example including a small block of text introducing what CTB is all about and a selection of playing this game mode in Solo or Multiplay. The figure below will explain everything:

I initally thought of this idea because osu! would now be a game hub of various types of rhythm games but seeing as standard osu! is the main appeal, it will separate the game mode away from the other three that exists in the game right now. Hence, people might disagree with this feature request somehow.

Please share your thoughts, come up with additional suggestions and criticism for this feature request.

PS: This is the first forum post, I apologise for misusing the forum in general!
G0r
I want this feature to look EXACTLY like it does in the examples. I will only support it if that is the case.
Starz0r
+Support
Kitsunemimi
I don't know about you G0r, but I think I'd prefer the graphics to be bit cleaner over Paint-style.

Jokes aside though, I think this is a great idea, and I'd really like to see it implemented. In my opinion, the mode buttons should be styled the same as the way they are now (like the current menu buttons, not special mode selection buttons), instead of being coloured differently. Although I think the multiplayer button should go somewhere else...

There is a small problem with this though. The way I see it, the change in this menu will eliminate the special mode selection screen (with the assumption that this change in the interface is still branching from the main osu! cookie). That means that the few skins that people have actually made for the mode selection screen would become obsolete, and I have a feeling that there is a group of people who will disagree with this change. It may seem unlikely, but if there are people who like things the way they are, then it'll naturally be fairly difficult to completely change something like this.

Regardless, I love the idea and I totally support it; let's see how far this can go.
tarticulate
I need some stars so I can support this.
Drafura
Maybe someone can make some .png material to support this. Oh and I think std should be in the top side.
Kurokami
Support w/o stars.

I was also thinking about some change in the interface but I'm too lazy to post it.
theowest
Couple of things:

1. So from pressing "Play" you'd go to this circular game mode select? That's very inconsistent.
  2. There will be more game modes available
  3. osu! should be the main focus
  4. Sideways text sucks
  5. I really don't see the need for this. Who is complaining on the current design?
semi-related

Nobody likes sideway text
Soaprman
This doesn't save any clicks. It's just a change for the sake of change that's more vulnerable to disruption by the future addition of new game modes.
Topic Starter
Nyaristoru

theowest wrote:

Couple of things:

1. So from pressing "Play" you'd go to this circular game mode select? That's very inconsistent.
  2. There will be more game modes available
  3. osu! should be the main focus
  4. Sideways text sucks
  5. I really don't see the need for this. Who is complaining on the current design?
semi-related

Nobody likes sideway text
If osu! were the main focus of the game (which I knew already), perhaps this idea could only be implemented just for special game modes as a segregation from osu! itself. Therefore, pressing "Special" will then lead to this circular game mode. As for the sideway text, we could rotate it back into a neat proper text while sacrificing the buttons to be slightly bulkier on the sides.

I suppose it won't break a camel's back by thinking of a feature that's different or innovative (as one would say), right?
theowest

Eastern Aristotle wrote:

As for the sideway text, we could rotate it back into a neat proper text while sacrificing the buttons to be slightly bulkier on the sides.
okay, now that just sounds excessive.
TheVileOne
I don't support this. I would much rather be able to change gamemode with a hotkey. That would be kickass. If I want to play taiko, just press the taiko key or something and the list refreshes to taiko. It would make life so much simpler.
PhiLL A
YES, support without stars.
Kurokami
Well, if the main menu stay as it is, this will really sucks. But if the main menu get the same design it will looks cool. Of course, with skinable buttons.
jemhuntr
harharhar I'm back after days of inactivity ^.^

anyways. I'd LOVE to see this implemented SO BADLY. And I could think of many suggestions to improve this. I could also create gimp-ed images to help visualize the idea (once I get my computer back). Here's a few things you need to consider:
- just like what TheVileOne said, it would be better if we had hotkeys. This makes stuff easier for people who wants to play special game modes but are too lazy to reach out for the mouse. But imo, this should go to a different request since it's not so related.
- theowest's second statement is fixable. We could simply re-divide the number of arcs for different game modes. Of course, we'll use sprites that are stretchable, or we could make it unskinnable for the moment. Thinking of a method to shrink an arc into a smaller arc of sprites while keeping the same radius is hard for me if it comes to bloody coding.
- as for theowest's third statement, osu!standard will still be the focus. This menu could just pop up after clicking Special on the main menu. Thus, osu!standard should not be in this menu. (otherwise, osu!standard will just be the default selected button right after the menu pops up)
- for theowest's 4th statement on sideways text, this would not be much of a problem. Since the interface will be circular, we could rotate all the buttons in order to bring the current selection to top, making the text upright.
- theowest's last statement: me. I hate the current special menu since it's not so cool imo. Also, it wouldn't hurt to add such cool animations and menus to improve the current one.
- as for Kitsunemimi's comment on removing skin elements, I don't believe that skinners will hate this. Skinners adapt their skin to what is newly available. In fact, some skinners (like me) feels that osu! needs to have more skinnable elements for full customization of the interface.
- although I'll agree with her that the multiplayer button should go somewhere else.

Now here's some of my suggestions:
- the "select your game mode" in the center is not so pretty. It would be better if that will fade into a game mode sprite instead of just an icon once I hover on a game mode button. (supporting image to follow)
- when I click on a button once, the entire circle will rotate, bringing my selection to top. All the other modes will gray out and darken, keeping the game mode specific sprite on the background of the center of the circle. By this time, the Single Player and Multiplayer buttons starts to fade in. Once I click again on a button, the buttons will shrink into the circle and the game mode sprite expands and fades as a transition to the song selection menu or the multiplayer lobby. (supporting image to come as well)
- this would look better if the main menu is also like this according to what Kurokami mentioned.
- if you're thinking of immediately bringing this up after clicking Play, make osu!standard the initially clicked button.
- I don't get what you mean on the studding out stuff.

I'll be looking out for new posts in this thread and help get it implemented. Sorry for not quoting your statements; I'm posting from my phone and it's a bit hassle to quote all your posts. ^_^
again, images will have to wait. ;)
Dai
but I love my current design
jemhuntr
hmm... So I guess it should be a toggle...? Oh. I know. Indicate this in the skin's skin.ini so that skinners will still be able to use the old format. This should be off by default, in order to keep the old skins' sprites.
theowest

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

hmm... So I guess it should be a toggle...? Oh. I know. Indicate this in the skin's skin.ini so that skinners will still be able to use the old format. This should be off by default, in order to keep the old skins' sprites.
the fact that you even suggested that makes me believe this will never ever happen. "oh, some people don't want this. let's have a toggle"

Everyone's more fine with the current design than with this suggestion.
jemhuntr

theowest wrote:

the fact that you even suggested that makes me believe this will never ever happen. "oh, some people don't want this. let's have a toggle"

Everyone's more fine with the current design than with this suggestion.
lol you actually have a point there xD
but yeah. This request is a want, not a need. So, I'm fine with whatever gets implemented. I guess peppy would know what's best, anyway. Oh well.
peppy
I already have plans on re-doing the main menu, and already have something in my mind for it :)
theowest
sweet!
Kurokami

peppy wrote:

I already have plans on re-doing the main menu, and already have something in my mind for it :)
Yay \:D/
deadbeat
[assigned]?
jemhuntr
nah. I don't think this is what peppy is thinking about.

Peppy, care to share what the menu's gonna look like? Lol I'm excited xD
theowest
The problem with this feature request is that it suggest exactly how he want the design to look like. The idea for a redesign might be cool but the suggested design could be terrible. It would've been fine if he just suggested a redesign and not actually show what he had in mind. (he could've just explained why the current one needs a new redesign, the reason peppy has a redesign in the first place)

We don't know what peppy's design is going to look like and since this request is limited to the suggested design only, we can't put an assigned on it. That'd put too much confusion to what's actually assigned.
The title of this topic is valid and could've been marked as assigned, but the opening post itself points to one specific design.

For now, we know that peppy have a redesign in mind so I think this request is no longer valid.

related request: t/102042/
That one could become more valid so it's more of an inspiration for peppy. Being less specific and just giving examples to how it could look like is always better to a specific design.
Topic Starter
Nyaristoru

theowest wrote:

The problem with this feature request is that it suggest exactly how he want the design to look like. The idea for a redesign might be cool but the suggested design could be terrible. It would've been fine if he just suggested a redesign and not actually show what he had in mind. (he could've just explained why the current one needs a new redesign, the reason peppy has a redesign in the first place)

We don't know what peppy's design is going to look like and since this request is limited to the suggested design only, we can't put an assigned on it. That'd put too much confusion to what's actually assigned.
The title of this topic is valid and could've been marked as assigned, but the opening post itself points to one specific design.

For now, we know that peppy have a redesign in mind so I think this request is no longer valid.

related request: t/102042/
That one could become more valid so it's more of an inspiration for peppy. Being less specific and just giving examples to how it could look like is always better to a specific design.
I really don't mind if my suggested design is disapproved but I'm happy to hear that the main menu is going to be redesigned soon. :)

Also thanks theowest, I appreciate that you gave me a bit of advice on what would be an excessive and valid feature request.
Archangel Tirael
Partly support. Try sketch it later, if I do't forgot it.