forum

CtB Modding Group

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MBomb

Map of the Month
This will be something decided by a vote between members once a month. Timing for the votes will be handled by me.

The map of the month for November 2015 is Petit Rabbit's - Daydream cafe, a map by [Sc4v4ng3r]!

Honourable mentions go out to:
Dream Theater - Wait for Sleep, by JBHyperion!

Porter Robinson - Sad Machine, by - Magic Bomb -!

Previous winners:

June 2015 - The Living Tombstone - It's Been So Long
July 2015 - Halozy - Moonlight feels right
August 2015 - Nishiura Tomohito - Omoide no Teien
September 2015 - Bossfight - Dr Wilys Castle Stage 1
October 2015 - None, due to me being busy
November 2015 - Petit Rabbit's - Daydream cafe

Records of total mods done
June 2015: 102 mods.
July 2015: 42 mods.
August 2015: 103 mods.
September 2015: 96 mods.
October 2015: 97 mods.
November 2015: 90 mods.
December 2015: 67 mods.
January: 93 mods.
February 2016: 89 mods.
Modding group was inactive from February-November 2016.

Total (Updated once a month): 779 mods.

I just want to make this clear before going into the rules and stuff. This is not a modding queue. If you're not willing to mod maps, this is not for you. Whilst more active mappers would be preferred, your activity of mapping itself isn't too important (In fact, it's fine even if you don't map to join, but that would mean you are putting yourself at a commitment to mod).

What this group is
So, anyway, onto what this group actually is. It's a group of CtB modders, as you could guess by the name, who mod maps. A good aim for each member would be at least 3 maps a month. This number can vary of course, with the amount of mappers, as whilst 3 mods a month in theory is easy (That's only just more than 1 mod a week), if the mappers are inactive, there might not be enough maps put out to mod, same with if there isn't enough mappers.

The idea of this group
The idea for this group actually came from the point I mentioned earlier about less known modders and mappers, as well as a few of my experiences with finding modders for maps. So, with my maps, I find it quite easy to get 5 or so mods in the first day, because of the fact that I am known in the CtB mapping and modding community. But I get people asking me a lot, questions like "How do you get mods so fast?" and stuff, and this helped me realise that not everyone finds mods this easily, and some lesser known mappers only get like a mod a week at best, even if they're willing to do stuff like M4M. I have kind of, an unspoken thing with people, where I mod their maps, and they mod mine, simple as, we don't really speak about it, I just message them saying "Hey can you mod my map?" And they say fine, and do it, and vice versa. But I wanted to get this on a bigger and more organised scale.

Ok, moving onto registration, qualifications needed, and the rules.

Qualifications required to join
To avoid having people having difficulties joining the group, I decided to set these qualifications quite low, whilst still making sure the people registering can mod.

1. The registrant must have at least 10 kudosu. This is to ensure that the participant can mod, and has received positive feedback from their mods. Whilst I didn't want to restrict people from joining, I feel if we accepted people who hadn't modded before, their mods would be of low quality.

2. The registrant must have modded at least 5 maps in the past 2 months. Whilst this is lower than the requirements whilst you're in the group, I feel people may feel less inclined to mod before they're part of the group, and so a lower requirement makes sense.

3. The registrant must be able to speak english. Whilst I hate to have to put a restriction like this, unless we can find enough members to suit every language, communication would be too difficult between me and a user that didn't speak english. However, you don't have to speak perfect english. Your english only needs to be good enough that you are able to type and read english without having much problems misunderstanding. However, in your mods, if you're modding the map of a user that can speak your native language, you are free to mod in that language, as long as you are 100% sure they can understand.

I think these restrictions are fair, to ensure slightly experienced modders, who are active, and will have no problems communicating.

Rules
Now sorry, but before you apply, you will have to read these rules, to ensure that you are fine with the rules of the group before you register.

1. As stated earlier, you must mod at least 3 maps a month. This is to ensure that you are not just here to get free mods, but you are willing to work for your mods.

2. You must NOT post your map here to ask for mods. PM a user either in game or in the forum to request a mod. If they are part of the queue, they will more than likely accept.

3. You must act kindly towards all other modders and mappers in the queue. There is a difference between helping someone improve their map by pointing out problems and why, and straightout calling someone's map bad. Same with mods. Don't say that someone's mod is bad. Instead, explain why you didn't accept their points. If you don't give any advice, they're not going to improve, and with no improvement, we get no maps ranked, and we get more discouraged members.

4. A mapper not being in this group is NOT a suitable reason to not mod their map. If you fail to meet a requirement of 3 mods in a month from the queue, I might not leave a punishment if I can see you've been modding for other people. Of course, I would prefer this group to be prioritized, but I understand that some mappers can't mod, or are too lazy to mod 3 maps a month, and that is fine. They should be allowed to stay out of the group, and if they are your friends, then feel free to mod their maps.

5. If you're not able to meet the requirements, PM me on the forum with the reason why. This is to ensure that if a member has exams, or is on holiday, they are not punished for it, as this would be stupid. We all have real lives, and sometimes, we will be busy.

6. Similar to rule 4, just because you've modded 3 maps in the month, this DOES NOT mean that you don't have to mod anymore this month. Whilst you've modded all that the requirements need, does not mean you shouldn't mod anymore. 3 is a minimum, not a maximum. Keep in mind that these requirements could increase with the members of the queue, and so getting used to, say, 5 mods a month, wouldn't be a bad idea.

7. If you want to leave the group for any reason, message me, preferably including the reason (Although if this is personal, I understand not being told), and I will take you out of the group. Afterwards, you can feel free to message me if you want to join back, and you will be accepted back, unless you have broken rules 2 or 3 whilst out of the group. If this has happened, I will review the case separately, and decide what to do.

8. If a modder/mapper has broken rule 3 against you, send a PM on the forum to me with a link to the post breaking the rule, and a quote from the post which you feel goes against this rule. I will decide whether the post had malicious intent, and if it did, will punish the modder accordingly. However, if a member reports a post without a valid reason, and is blatantly trying to cause harm to a member's reputation, they risk being punished themselves.

9. If you do not get sent maps by other members of the group, then you must look yourself, or ask other members of the group if they have a map they want you to mod. Whilst I know this can be a pain, it is your job to make sure you do your 3 mods, not the other members of the group.

10. Don't spam every other member of the group the instant you upload a map. Preferably keep mod requests to 1/2 at a time. As in, whilst waiting for a mod, don't message 5 other users also asking for a mod, as there could be repetition in mod posts, which is a waste of time for both the mapper and the modder.

11. Preferably, send a link to this forum at the start with your mod, saying a message similar to "Modding as part of the CtB Modding Group". This is to raise popularity for this group for other modders who may look at the map who aren't part of the group.

12. If any of these rules are broken, they will be dealt with personally by me. In most cases, if a rule is broken, you will get a strike. Three strikes, and you're out of the group. When you get kicked out of the group, you are not allowed to join back for three months. Of course, to avoid people thinking it's fine to be rude to other mappers, or breaking other rules, if they have no strikes, these issues will be handled on a case to case basis. If you really screwed up, there is a chance you may get kicked out of the group instantly, or even banned from the group, even after the three months is over.

13. Remember, modding isn't a job. If it feels like you're being forced to mod, you're not having fun modding, or it just generally feels like a pain to keep up with this many mods, PM me on the forum with reasons, and you could be dealt with more leniently. Osu is a game, after all, and you should be having fun. If you're not, it defeats the purpose. I'm not some kind of robot that feels must mod 5 maps a month without any mistakes, I'm a human too.

Rules Regarding BNs/QATs
Damn JBH, becoming BN so I have to make this section orz

Of course, BNs have to follow the same rules the rest of us do, but don't spam them for mods, whether your map is ready for rank in your opinion or not. They are busy with other things as well as normal mods, asking once is fine, but give them time to get to it. However, whilst they are more busy, they still have to stick to the 3 mods a month (Which of course would be in their best interests anyway, to avoid losing BN score).

Keep in mind, BNs are just slightly more experienced modders, with the ability to rank maps, so they can still do normal mods, so don't refrain from asking for these.

Registration
Registering for the group is simple. PM me with the subject "CtB Modding Group", including in your message that you would like to join. You will be added to the members, with a message back if you're accepted. If you're not accepted, I will message you with reasons why you are not accepted. If you do not get a reply, I haven't seen your message yet. Don't spam me, or this could decrease your chances of getting accepted.

Staff
- Magic Bomb - (Group Manager, Staff Manager)
JBHyperion (Quality Assurance Manager)

Blacklist
No one! :D

Feel free to look at the members, and mod their maps if you want. Advertise this group to any modding friends you may have, persuade people to join, make friends from the group, and let's get CtB mapping and modding on the right track!

Any questions about rules and such, or stuff that I missed out, or isn't clear, post below, or message me either on the in game or on the forum, and I'll be happy to answer!

Helpers would of course be appreciated, and again, should PM me on the forum, or in game, saying why they want to help. After all, I'm just one kid who loves modding, I can't run everything by myself, especially if this gets as big as I hope.

Quick note: We have a discord for the modding group. If you want to join this too, message me, and I will add you. This is optional, but at the same time highly recommended. This discord will be used for all sorts of things, such as helping others with modding, finding mod requests easily, and stuff like that.
Topic Starter
MBomb
Changelog
Updated slightly. Only 3 mods a month are needed now instead of the previous 5, I think a mod every 10 days is fair. Boxes added for easier readability.

Added a link to Kurokami's special CtB queue, as a great inspiration to this group.

Added Staff list. Kingkevin30 joined the staff as community manager.

Banner made by cursedcookies added.

Added a "Rules Regarding BNs" section, with JBH recently gaining this position.

June 1st, the group is now functioning.

March 29th 2016, after almost 10 months, another notable event, discord has been added. Removed all staff members apart from me and JBHyperion due to general spring cleaning.
JBHyperion
Count me in, it would be good to get to know more modders in the CtB community and this will be a great way to do that. The more CtB modders (and mappers) the better as far as I'm concerned (:

Plus I don't tend to get too many CtB requests in the modding queue so this will be a nice escape from the mountain of standard map requests ^^
BoberOfDarkness
Great idea Magic Bomb!

How about making another CTB modding group on Facebook or other social something o/ ? :idea: :idea:
Topic Starter
MBomb

BoberOfDarkness wrote:

Great idea Magic Bomb!

How about making another CTB modding group on Facebook or other social something o/ ? :idea: :idea:
Whilst I do like this idea, I don't think everyone would be up to it, as it's adding more of a personal level. However, a possible plan would be a skype group with all members (Or at least those that want to be added), trying to avoid a lot of drama with this could be difficult though, as I can't be looking at the group all the time. I'll try to plan something before the 1st of June though.

Edit: Just an update on this, our new Community Manager, Kingkevin30, might be trying to work on something akin to this. No promises yet though ;)

Edit 2: We have actually organised something quite like this, on a not so personal level, in the form of a website. Members will be added to the website upon arrival after a request of an email address for invitation. Here, the modders and mappers can request mods, talk about modding, and even just talk about off topic stuff with other members of the group.
Razor Sharp
Count me in!
Topic Starter
MBomb
Just to clarify, all applicants who have mentioned signing up here have messaged me either in game or on the forum. Signing up here alone does not ensure you in the group. You must message me either in game or on the forum as an application.
Syphist
I guess I'll go get that 10 kudosu soon. Once I get that I'll give this group a shot.
DragonSlayer96
well, i poked mb right in the teeth and im part of it. for stand-alone difficulties i will probably not be able to give much feedback on and more focused on how the map looks like/sounds rather than "should this be moved over to the next line on the grid 4" type modder (as most of you guys probably have seen)
Bunnrei
Great idea, osu! needs more CtB modders.

Hm, I'll consider doing this, as this might help me with my CtB modding. (And also with my CtB mapping.)

(Don't add me yet tho, I'm still thinking about it. I'll PM if I'm ready)

Maybe make a banner for this? This can be put on a mod post or on the user's userpages.
JBHyperion

osu_gangster wrote:

Maybe make a banner for this? This can be put on a mod post or on the user's userpages.
This is a great idea to raise the group's profile - it has way more impact than a line of text that says - "Join the CtB Modding Group" (:
Topic Starter
MBomb

osu_gangster wrote:

I was considering this, but I'm not good with design stuff, so I was gonna try and find a better designer to do it.
autofanboy
The post looks like this, lol.

Anyway count me in the group. However I am not really active in modding nowadays (and maybe more active later idk?)

Good luck keeping this group alive
DragonSlayer96
since this group is sorta growing, why not add things like:
  • *the genre of music someone likes (some people only map/mod a specific genre)
    *what they are comfortable modding (lower diffs, higher diffs, only marathons, etc)
    *timezone/when to expect them on (some people are only on say before school/work or a random hour or two)
    *what type of mods do they do (only testplays, only editor, hitsounds, timing, etc) to better help us find what type of modder we are looking for
    *having a color to the name to show how active someone is (i dont want this as a way to be used to punish each other, but to offer help if they are struggling with modding. without a way to help see who is struggling how can a more experienced modder help?)
    *a ranked/approve section for our maps so we can see what our hard work actually has accomplised (also gives incentive to map because that could be one of the things people click on and tries a beatmap or two from it)

also - since either a BN is bound to join or one of us becomes one - shouldn't there be a few rules for them too? They just really can't camp here and just bubble/rank only our maps because that in-and-of itself will create issues for mappers who aren't part of this group and they try to get their maps ranked (if enough active mappers are here, they could do that and keep the title of BN fairly easy). That will just cause people to join and - in the end - we are back to where we were before the group

there is probably more things to add/improve on that no one has thought of yet. for some of these, you might think is dumb, but i am thinking if this gets to be like 20+ people having things like i mentioned would be nice
Tyrell

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

*what they are comfortable modding (lower diffs, higher diffs, only marathons, etc)
    *timezone/when to expect them on (some people are only on say before school/work or a random hour or two)
    *what type of mods do they do (only testplays, only editor, hitsounds, timing, etc) to better help us find what type of modder we are looking for
    *having a color to the name to show how active someone is (i dont want this as a way to be used to punish each other, but to offer help if they are struggling with modding. without a way to help see who is struggling how can a more experienced modder help?)
    *a ranked/approve section for our maps so we can see what our hard work actually has accomplised (also gives incentive to map because that could be one of the things people click on and tries a beatmap or two from it)

also - since either a BN is bound to join or one of us becomes one - shouldn't there be a few rules for them too? They just really can't camp here and just bubble/rank only our maps because that in-and-of itself will create issues for mappers who aren't part of this group and they try to get their maps ranked (if enough active mappers are here, they could do that and keep the title of BN fairly easy). That will just cause people to join and - in the end - we are back to where we were before the group

there is probably more things to add/improve on that no one has thought of yet. for some of these, you might think is dumb, but i am thinking if this gets to be like 20+ people having things like i mentioned would be nice
I think these suggestions are great to give people a little insight as to when and who to message about mods and assistance. In the list where it says our names you could just add something like spartancog95: Cup- Platter, anything but country music, 8-12pm EST.
JBHyperion
Just responding with my thoughts on some of DS96's points:

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

I agree with these points provided we have a diverse enough group of modders so that all areas are fairly representative. It would be unfair if, say, only one team member is active in a particular time zone, likes a particular type of map/music, or intends to give a certain type of mod, as this may create an unfairly high workload on that person. If the group can become large and diverse enough to accommodate this, it would a great resource to quickly locate the team member best suited to your request, but I'd try to avoid painting people into a certain category whilst the group is still small.

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

• *having a color to the name to show how active someone is (i dont want this as a way to be used to punish each other, but to offer help if they are struggling with modding. without a way to help see who is struggling how can a more experienced modder help?)
Regarding modding activity, there was talk about a kind of modding history and/or mod leaderboard which indicate the most active modders - I've already voiced my opinion that I don't want this to become competitive as we should be working as a team. What I think might be a good idea though, is if we had a kind of "buddy" system, where a new and experienced modder could be paired up and allowed to mod maps together - this could be done through PM, Skype, or even via a screen-sharing application (which the modding group client supports functionality for) so that things can be pointed out directly in real-time. This might be a bit of extra work for the experienced modders initially, but with more people gaining experience, it will make the workload much more even further down the line, and mod quality will only improve = more maps ranked faster

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

• *a ranked/approve section for our maps so we can see what our hard work actually has accomplised (also gives incentive to map because that could be one of the things people click on and tries a beatmap or two from it)
The current plan is for all newly-ranked/qualified maps that have been modded by at least one team member to be posted in the #announce channel

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

Obviously we want to present as an inclusive group that welcomes all modders and mappers, and treats everyone fairly, regardless of whether they are a member of the group or not. However, I don't know how BNs would feel about being told "you must bubble/rank" other maps, since they will be a BN first (so must uphold those commitments) and a member of our group second. At the end of the day, they have quotas to uphold, and it wouldn't be fair to jeopardize their position as a member of the BNG just because they "can't bubble/rank maps by team members". I'd like some more opinions on what the best course of action would be here.
Topic Starter
MBomb
Just gonna leave my thoughts in blue.

JBHyperion wrote:

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

I agree with these points provided we have a diverse enough group of modders so that all areas are fairly representative. It would be unfair if, say, only one team member is active in a particular time zone, likes a particular type of map/music, or intends to give a certain type of mod, as this may create an unfairly high workload on that person. If the group can become large and diverse enough to accommodate this, it would a great resource to quickly locate the team member best suited to your request, but I'd try to avoid painting people into a certain category whilst the group is still small. - I don't want a certain modder to mod based on the genre of music they like. For example, I tend to dislike songs using japanese language, however, I still mod these songs. It seems unfair to me that you can get out of modding just because you don't like a song, so I don't want to enforce this. What they are comfortable modding, I have agreed to do if people tell me (Hence why spartancog95 is listed as only modding cup-platter on the members list), but again, if someone is able to mod something, they should mod it, regardless of whether it's a strong point, if they don't, they won't improve. As for what kinds of mods they do, I was planning to do this if, for example, a modder who only does hitsounds came on the team, I would of course mention this, but as far as I know, everyone in the group can do normal modding, and so I didn't feel adding this was necessary.

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

• *having a color to the name to show how active someone is (i dont want this as a way to be used to punish each other, but to offer help if they are struggling with modding. without a way to help see who is struggling how can a more experienced modder help?)
Regarding modding activity, there was talk about a kind of modding history and/or mod leaderboard which indicate the most active modders - I've already voiced my opinion that I don't want this to become competitive as we should be working as a team. What I think might be a good idea though, is if we had a kind of "buddy" system, where a new and experienced modder could be paired up and allowed to mod maps together - this could be done through PM, Skype, or even via a screen-sharing application (which the modding group client supports functionality for) so that things can be pointed out directly in real-time. This might be a bit of extra work for the experienced modders initially, but with more people gaining experience, it will make the workload much more even further down the line, and mod quality will only improve = more maps ranked faster - I like this idea JBH has put out, and I'll look into applying this. The colour of how active someone is, however, I don't really like, because as JBH mentioned, it could turn competitive (For example one modder making fun of another because they got a better colour, or something), so if I add a leaderboard, it will be a non-competitive one.

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

• *a ranked/approve section for our maps so we can see what our hard work actually has accomplised (also gives incentive to map because that could be one of the things people click on and tries a beatmap or two from it)
The current plan is for all newly-ranked/qualified maps that have been modded by at least one team member to be posted in the #announce channel - What JBH said.

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

Obviously we want to present as an inclusive group that welcomes all modders and mappers, and treats everyone fairly, regardless of whether they are a member of the group or not. However, I don't know how BNs would feel about being told "you must bubble/rank" other maps, since they will be a BN first (so must uphold those commitments) and a member of our group second. At the end of the day, they have quotas to uphold, and it wouldn't be fair to jeopardize their position as a member of the BNG just because they "can't bubble/rank maps by team members". I'd like some more opinions on what the best course of action would be here. - BN's should, and will, be treated as normal modders. Just because someone is a BN, does not mean they are some super high ranking person who can only rank and bubble maps. BN's can do normal mods too, they are just more experienced modders. For ranking/bubbling maps, of course, a BN would be allowed, and should, rank people's maps from outside the group if they are ready for rank, and this goes back to rule 4 in a more advanced way.
Hopefully, these points I've made help to answer any concerns. Any more questions, feel free to ask.
DragonSlayer96
Gonna just do mine in yellow (in remembrance to the pikachu kitty) EDIT : color change because it was hard to read

JBHyperion wrote:

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

I agree with these points provided we have a diverse enough group of modders so that all areas are fairly representative. It would be unfair if, say, only one team member is active in a particular time zone, likes a particular type of map/music, or intends to give a certain type of mod, as this may create an unfairly high workload on that person. If the group can become large and diverse enough to accommodate this, it would a great resource to quickly locate the team member best suited to your request, but I'd try to avoid painting people into a certain category whilst the group is still small. - I don't want a certain modder to mod based on the genre of music they like. For example, I tend to dislike songs using japanese language, however, I still mod these songs. It seems unfair to me that you can get out of modding just because you don't like a song, so I don't want to enforce this. What they are comfortable modding, I have agreed to do if people tell me (Hence why spartancog95 is listed as only modding cup-platter on the members list), but again, if someone is able to mod something, they should mod it, regardless of whether it's a strong point, if they don't, they won't improve. As for what kinds of mods they do, I was planning to do this if, for example, a modder who only does hitsounds came on the team, I would of course mention this, but as far as I know, everyone in the group can do normal modding, and so I didn't feel adding this was necessary.
For the genre, i was going more along the lines of the issue i ran across modding one of your maps a while back mb (the techno one that gave me a headache and i think i could only mod a diff or two because of it). even trying to mod some nightcore songs does the same thing to me and i cant finish the mods on them. i like both nightcore and techno as genre's but i just cant mod some of them due to issues in the song (like if its too high pitched for nightcore)

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

Regarding modding activity, there was talk about a kind of modding history and/or mod leaderboard which indicate the most active modders - I've already voiced my opinion that I don't want this to become competitive as we should be working as a team. What I think might be a good idea though, is if we had a kind of "buddy" system, where a new and experienced modder could be paired up and allowed to mod maps together - this could be done through PM, Skype, or even via a screen-sharing application (which the modding group client supports functionality for) so that things can be pointed out directly in real-time. This might be a bit of extra work for the experienced modders initially, but with more people gaining experience, it will make the workload much more even further down the line, and mod quality will only improve = more maps ranked faster - I like this idea JBH has put out, and I'll look into applying this. The colour of how active someone is, however, I don't really like, because as JBH mentioned, it could turn competitive (For example one modder making fun of another because they got a better colour, or something), so if I add a leaderboard, it will be a non-competitive one.
Well - if we can do a buddy system - maybe a color system for how well you can mod each difficulty? JBH did explain what i was trying to say with my original post. I'm just trying to help figure out a way so we can tell what areas each person can improve in. I know that there are people who cant mod salads but can mod the rest just fine, but people think they can mod salads because they are modding rains, cups and platters. yes, i want to get to the point where i can mod marathon/standalone difficulties ok, but i know i would need some assistance in learning how to understand the mappers idea in one map instead of a mapset. if people want to make fun of another because they dont have knowledge in a certain area, you already have rules set in place on how picking/bullying is dealt with. i dont care who someone is or what they do on the game, i feel that if they wont help someone learn how to improve, they arent really helping the group. yea, getting mods from them is nice (and the point of this group is to mod each others maps) but it does no good if <insert username> can only mod rains and no one is willing to help them learn how to mod the other difficulties. we wont be modding forever so we need to be able to pass our knowledge on and help out the next wave of modders out so they will be able to take our place when we leave and CtB modding/mapping. that - in essence - is what i was trying to get at by the color scheme, not trying to add any sort of competition

Hopefully, these points I've made help to answer any concerns. Any more questions, feel free to ask.
i will probably come up with more down the road mb, but this was just a quick thought i had about the group and things i have found out myself
JBHyperion
Might just be me, but that yellow colour is seriously painful to read, sorry >.<

Edit: The light blue is much better, thanks. I'm away over the weekend so don't have time to continue this in detail, but I'll edit this post when I get back if I have any further comments (:

2nd Edit: Looks like I accidentally made a new post instead of editing this one, apologies (:
JBHyperion

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

i dont care who someone is or what they do on the game, i feel that if they wont help someone learn how to improve, they arent really helping the group. yea, getting mods from them is nice (and the point of this group is to mod each others maps) but it does no good if <insert username> can only mod rains and no one is willing to help them learn how to mod the other difficulties. we wont be modding forever so we need to be able to pass our knowledge on and help out the next wave of modders out so they will be able to take our place when we leave and CtB modding/mapping. that - in essence - is what i was trying to get at by the color scheme, not trying to add any sort of competition
This struck pretty close to home with me as to the real purpose of the group. Sure, different people enjoy, prefer and are better at doing certain things more than others, and this is great - the more diverse our team can get the better, and we can all work to our strengths and further the goals of the group. However, it's important that everyone is provided with an equal a footing as possible with regards to their modding ability, with other things being left as preferences.

For example:
  1. choosing whether to mod a rock song or a dubstep song, low or high BPM should be allowed as a preference, and people should be free to prioritize (not to the exclusion of all others) these mods
  2. Only modding specific difficulties or song lengths, however (thinking long term, after people have gained experience) should be discouraged, as it doesn't bring people out of their comfort zone and they won't develop and grow as modders
As DS96 said, we (the founders) won't be around forever, and at some point, we'll have to hand over to a new group of CtB mappers and modders. What good will any work now be if by then no-one knows how to mod Rains, or no-one has the patience to mod a 3 minute song? Game over.
show more