forum

[osu!mania] Difficulty Names

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hanyuu
Hi is there any rule about how you should name your difficulties for mania mode?
Do you need to add the number of keys played in the difficulty?
Do you add it like 7 Key or 7K or 7 Buttons... etc?

I looked around the ranking criteria page and found nothing about it but i want to suggest a "rule" to have all mania diffs in the same format.
I think if the beatmap has the same playkeys over all difficulties and is a mania only beatmap it is not needed to added it to the difficulty title.
If there are other keycounts to play in the same map it should be added for the difficulty names in the format NK (N for the number of keys, 4K,5K etc)
If there is a different game mode besides mania it should also be added even they are all the same playkeys.
chonicle
only mania mapset:
1.only one key numbers: don't put key number in your diff names
2.two or more: put key number in your diff names

guest diff of standard/taiko/ctb mapset:
Always put key numbers.

We are already using this rule.
xxbidiao

chonicle wrote:

only mania mapset:

Always put key numbers.

I prefer key number still there when you only have one key amount.
This is because there are no filter to get certain key-amounted map.
(Or put that in tag is ok?)
eldnl

chonicle wrote:

only mania mapset:

Always put key numbers.

and what's the point of the key numbers in the name when it is already in the game
chonicle

eldnl wrote:

and what's the point of the key numbers in the name when it is already in the game
4K Insane/7K Insane will cause confusion on the webpage if they don't have the 4K 7K label(Two insanes on the webpage).
and guest diffs will be confused with standard diff names.
Maiz94

chonicle wrote:

eldnl wrote:

4K Insane/7K Insane will cause confusion on the webpage if they don't have the 4K 7K label(Two insanes on the webpage).
That sums pretty much up.
Yoeri

chonicle wrote:

Always put key numbers..
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/83094
eldnl

chonicle wrote:

eldnl wrote:

I guess that there is already another form to difference between game modes in the webpage, meh.
Topic Starter
Hanyuu
It doesnt between keycounts but it shows mania mode yes
Yuzeyun

xxbidiao wrote:

There is, actually. By "categories" (Mania Keys) but it's a sort of filter.
chonicle

bumperpower64 wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/83094
That one was before this rule is considered :D
MMzz

xxbidiao wrote:

I prefer key number still there when you only have one key amount.
(Or put that in tag is ok?)

This seems ideal. You can leave the key amounts in the tags or the diff name, it doesn't really matter. We do the same think in taiko to find taiko diffs while we use the search function.

It would be nice to just use the designated key amounts for the search filter, but then you would just get tons of auto conversions too, instead of just mode specific. So adding the key amount in the diffname/tags is the best idea.
chonicle

MMzz wrote:

This seems ideal. You can leave the key amounts in the tags or the diff name, it doesn't really matter. We do the same think in taiko to find taiko diffs while we use the search function.

It would be nice to just use the designated key amounts for the search filter, but then you would just get tons of auto conversions too, instead of just mode specific. So adding the key amount in the diffname/tags is the best idea.
Alright so we are going to change to this:

Add the key number in your diff names.

I tried to type "7K" in the search filter and only mania specific maps appears. This would be nice if people want to play specific key numbers.
Topic Starter
Hanyuu
I agree with this too because i also like to see what playmode it is on the Homepage. Before i download the beatmap (and before i check for it in the forum..)
Loctav
We don't define diff names with rules. There are some unwritten standards in other game modes about that but generally we don't manifest them as rules, since we shouldn't restrict that

Also you don't need to indicate the mode of the diff with putting key numbers because we have icons for that. It's redundant.
On webpage diffs have different icons based on game mode as well.
xxbidiao

Loctav wrote:

We don't define diff names with rules. There are some unwritten standards in other game modes about that but generally we don't manifest them as rules, since we shouldn't restrict that

Also you don't need to indicate the mode of the diff with putting key numbers because we have icons for that. It's redundant.
I'm willing to hear you say that.
Besides, in my style I may prefer to put key number on the diff names on my own maps, because of the lack of separation of specific maps on key amount in both client and web. (On the web we have to look at CS to know key amount - how will a beginner know this?!) Maybe we should make some feature request on that.
Bobbias

xxbidiao wrote:

Loctav wrote:

I'm willing to hear you say that.
Besides, in my style I may prefer to put key number on the diff names on my own maps, because of the lack of separation of specific maps on key amount in both client and web. (On the web we have to look at CS to know key amount - how will a beginner know this?!) Maybe we should make some feature request on that.
I believe we should make a feature request. I'm quite disappointed when I see a new mania map and it turns out to be a mode I don't play, which I can't find out until I download and import the map.
Loctav
This clearly resulted in "No Change".