forum

regarding tick rate 0.5 [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
pieguyn
Tick Rate 1 is already hard-coded as the minimum tick rate in the latest osu! code-base. Not sure why this rule is even in discussion.

Building on this slightly:
If you believe you need to use 0.5 ticks,
a) your BPM is too low; double it.
b) you are not a fan of the tick hitsound. find a replacement you like.

Also one little tip: If you think tick rate 1 sounds bad so you need 0.5, try going *upwards* to 2 instead. In many cases it will be more even and sound better than 1.
Why does it have to be removed? :? The only people I've ever seen complain about tick rate 0.5 are the staff themselves, and even among them, not all of them are against it. There are many cases where tick rate 0.5 works well, and just a few of them were provided by Alace in this post.

Before anyone mentions that "it wasn't supposed to be this way", just don't. That's like throwing out penicillin because it was an accident and not what was intended, even though certainly penicillin was better than what they had originally intended in the first place.. :?

Rules (and other things such as tick rate 0.5 in this case) are made to serve players, right? In that case, why would we remove something that many players like just based on a closed group's personal preference?

Post here if you don't want to see tick rate 0.5 removed.
Soaprman
When it's not being used to emulate a tick rate 0, tick rate 0.5 tends to sound awkward and I'm not a huge fan of it. That said, I support people being able to do things in their beatmaps that I might disagree with.

Is there a reason why it has to go? Like, something besides "I don't like it/it doesn't make sense"? If the problem is new mappers picking it because they don't know any better, just make it a feature you can only get by editing the .osu file. Removing it altogether accomplishes nothing. I can't see there being an actual technical reason to remove it but if there is, tell us about it.

Also, making this thread might have been a little unnecessary since it sounds like they're opening the rules discussion board to us soon anyway. :P
mm201
Basically I agree with Soaprman on all counts. I don't think tick 0.5 makes any sense, but it's not my style to remove things.

However, requesting something be put back that was just taken out makes no sense, so I'll go ahead and deny this.
Jarby

mm201 wrote:

I don't think tick 0.5 makes any sense, but it's not my style to remove things.
inb4 catmull backlash.
mm201
I didn't remove them.
Sure

Jarby wrote:

mm201 wrote:

I don't think tick 0.5 makes any sense, but it's not my style to remove things.
inb4 catmull backlash.
Catmull can be replaced with new bezier. But there is no way to replace tick 0.5.
Anyway that's good to hear.