1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Skinning
posted



Roughly a year ago, I had a bunch of Arkanoid vids on YouTube playing in the background, and all I could hear is the beeping echo that sounds whenever the ball hits the bricks or the paddle, with the occasional enemy explosion once in a while. Those rebounding sounds were …I dunno, hypnotic to listen to, I guess. They do trail off into the distance.

Somewhere along the line, I had this idea: What would it be like if I brought the sounds of the ball bouncing around into this game?

And it just kinda took off from there. What originally started as just an audio-only skin turned into a fully-customized skin.

So, yeah. Arkanoid. Now as a skin in osu!.


At the moment, the skin is basically finished. This game is constantly being updated, though, so at one point or another, some new element might be added. I'll probably update this skin when that happens.

Oh, by the way:

LICENCE.txt from the Default Skin wrote:

You are granted permission to use the elements contained within this archive as a template for creating your own skins. You can modify these in any way you see fit.
I'm basically allowed to use the Default Skin elements, right? Seems like it.

Something that I have neglected to mention until now is the options that this skin includes. There are six of them: Hit Circles, Slider Starts and Ends, Hit Markers, Mania Styles, Taiko Kiai Glow, and Cursor Trail. You can look at a few of them through the screenshots just below.

*Default Options are used

Main Menu
Due to my lack of a supporter tag, the main menu is unavailable. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Song Selection


Style Selection


Modifiers


+PerFect +NightCore


Mania Modifiers +CiNema




















Just Words, Transparent Hit Circle, Swapped Slider Starts, Blank Slider Ends, Disabled Cursor Trail


Kanji Only, Border Taiko Kiai Glow


Numbers Only, White and Gold (Mania)

:!: Outdated :!:

>May 31, 2017<
Replaced normal-hitnormal and soft-hitnormal; Should be a LOT more playable now without those echos getting in the way.
Changed the 3rd combo color to a brighter one.
New Options: Taiko Kiai Glow and Cursor Trail!
Set Hollow Slider Ends as the default.
Follow points reworked!
Small edit to scorebar-background

January 26, 2017
Added ScoreV2 Modifier Icon
Changed Auto Pilot Icon
January 11, 2017
Hit Finishers modified; it just didn't sound right before.
Tweaked Mania; now the keys don't look so blurry (in height 768px/1536px)!
An alternate Mania Style, White and Gold, is added
Got to fixing that spinner-approachcircle

October 19, 2016
Slider Starts and Ends option now available
Fixed the Swapped Hollow hitcircle/sliderstartcircle/sliderendcircle while I'm at it
Small edit to arrow-pause

September 29th, 2016
16 (Co-op 8) Key and 18 (Co-op 9) Key now fit into 4:3 ratio screens!
^Added a new Special Key specifically for 16 Key^
^-HIDDEN-^
New background; old one was way too plain
^welcome.png edited to match^
Added more Hit Circle option types

September 18th, 2016
Changed hit300k
Redid the selection options
Changed lighting colors
Adjusted some Hit Marker options
Added Hit Circle option

September 4th, 2016
Initial Release

Size: 17.2 MB (18,101,743 bytes)
posted
Well this is really like 8bit style xD, and it is really nice that you provide all modes here~

Well done!
posted
This seems more like an artskin than a gameplay skin, I'm sure that's what you were going for right? XD

The sounds are amazing, they really fit the theme and you frrl as if you were playing on a retro gaming console.

The visuals really remind me of old Megaman games, especially the pause screen and skip overlay, I really felt as if I was playing the old Megaman, which unironically I haven't had the chance to play.

The hit circles are great, really love the visual style, just that it's hard to distinguish the hit circles from one another on the default. I'm not sure about the other options, but from what I played the default hit circles are hard to distinguish, especially since you haven't skinned the slider end circle blank, by which I'm guessing you play fallback.

The slider follow circle is a nice touch though, and even though the sounds are great, they do end up getting very annoying really quick when trying to play. I'm not saying change the sounds as it's more of a personal gripe than anything, but thought I'd just let you know. Also having a cursor middle is a weird little gripe I have, but it shouldn't really matter.

I really like this skin! ^_^ I hope I didn't bore you with this post.

Tl;dr: Seems more like an artskin, reminds me of old megaman games, hitcircles are great but kind of distracting, sounds can get annoying and cursor middle really isn't my thing.
posted

Prophecy wrote:

Well this is really like 8bit style xD, and it is really nice that you provide all modes here~

Well done!
A month old reply, but thanks.

TMCraze wrote:

This seems more like an artskin than a gameplay skin, I'm sure that's what you were going for right? XD

The sounds are amazing, they really fit the theme and you frrl as if you were playing on a retro gaming console.

The visuals really remind me of old Megaman games, especially the pause screen and skip overlay, I really felt as if I was playing the old Megaman, which unironically I haven't had the chance to play.

The hit circles are great, really love the visual style, just that it's hard to distinguish the hit circles from one another on the default. I'm not sure about the other options, but from what I played the default hit circles are hard to distinguish, especially since you haven't skinned the slider end circle blank, by which I'm guessing you play fallback.

The slider follow circle is a nice touch though, and even though the sounds are great, they do end up getting very annoying really quick when trying to play. I'm not saying change the sounds as it's more of a personal gripe than anything, but thought I'd just let you know. Also having a cursor middle is a weird little gripe I have, but it shouldn't really matter.

I really like this skin! ^_^ I hope I didn't bore you with this post.

Tl;dr: Seems more like an artskin, reminds me of old megaman games, hitcircles are great but kind of distracting, sounds can get annoying and cursor middle really isn't my thing.
I guess you can call it that. I was more focused on the visual and audio decorations while I was making this skin.

I probably didn't skin the sliderendcircle because I felt like I didn't really need to. Most maps don't have a circle/slider stacked right on top of the end on the first slider.
...Although I later found out that it's apparently common practice to skin out the slider ends. :roll: I've added that in as a possible option along with picking out the slider start styles from the existing hitcircle styles.
posted
This skin looks awesome, especially the ctb mode.
posted
Alright, after a few months of nothing, I've gone around to update this skin. Mainly to do the first two things listed here:

dtnc21 wrote:


>January 11, 2017<
Hit Finishers modified; it just didn't sound right before.
Tweaked Mania; now the keys don't look so blurry (in height 768px/1536px)!
An alternate Mania Style, White and Gold, is added
Got to fixing that spinner-approachcircle

October 19, 2016
Slider Starts and Ends option now available
Fixed the Swapped Hollow hitcircle/sliderstartcircle/sliderendcircle while I'm at it
Small edit to arrow-pause

...
Other than that, I don't have anything else to say.
posted
Ok, I've been thinking about this skin for a while, and after an unexpected review, I decided to update it again. Admittedly, this skin wasn't really playable before.

dtnc21 wrote:


>May 31, 2017<
Replaced normal-hitnormal and soft-hitnormal; Should be a LOT more playable now without those echos getting in the way.
Changed the 3rd combo color to a brighter one.
New Options: Taiko Kiai Glow and Cursor Trail!
Set Hollow Slider Ends as the default.
Follow points reworked!
Small edit to scorebar-background

January 26, 2017
Added ScoreV2 Modifier Icon
Changed Auto Pilot Icon
This is one of those updates where if you have an older version of this skin, move it away if you want to keep it.
Please sign in to reply.