forum

A guide for beginners

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yarissa
Heyo, I'm Kaoru, and here I'm going to go over a few things that I think will serve as good advice for a variety of players. If you are a new player, someone seeking to improve, or even someone wanting to optimize their performance, this guide may have some helpful information for you.

Without further adieu, here are the tips, broken down into major sections:

Posture

Posture is actually really really beneficial in how well you perform. The best posture you can take is a piano-like posture, with your back straight.

Pen/ mouse grip and streaming form are kind of part of your posture, but do what seems most comfortable. Never be too afraid to experiment, because you very likely have nothing to lose. MOST people tend to grip their pens like they would with a pencil, but it varies from player to player.

osu! settings

While it may not matter as much at lower levels of gameplay, you're going to want to optimize your gameplay settings so that you have the least amount of input lag possible. You should first and foremost DISABLE WINDOWS AERO. This not only helps with osu!, but NEARLY EVERY GAME out there.

Second off, frame limiters (of 120 and below typically, anything higher is OKAY but still might cause some lag) should be toggled off. You are going to want to set your FPS cap at unlimited (always).

For your detail settings you're going to want to minimize pretty much everything that could serve as a distraction. I personally have everything disabled except for Snaking sliders, which help me with hidden (since I can see which way the slider is going to go before tracing it)

For your general settings, you should put your background dim at 100% and have your score meter type as Hit error. The hit error bar is something that you will be able to observe in your replays/ while you are playing to determine if you are hitting too late/ early. If the lines are to the left, you are hitting early. If the lines are hitting to the right, you are hitting late. Eventually you will want to focus on having the lines consistently stack upon the middle of the hit error bar, but I highly suggest that you don't concern yourself with that until you are at an impasse for rhythm/ accuracy-wise improvements. The rest of these settings are optional.

For your audio settings I suggest having your effects volume much louder than your music volume. If you have a skin with nice, crisp, and good hitsounds, this will help you keep rhythm/ tell how you are hitting your notes much more easily. If you are concerned with offset, there are some nice resources on the forums about setting your offset with the offset wizard. Typically, this shouldn't be too big of an issue.

For your skin settings, I suggest checking out the skinning subforum or even adopting a pro player's skin. 90% of the time they are good skins. Here are my settings:

For mouse sensitivity, I /personally/ suggest keeping your sensitivity at 1.0 (since I like to have the same sensitivity in every game I play, with cs:go being the only exception). Raw input is a really really nice feature to have and should be supported by wacom, huion, and turcom tablets now. I suggest toggling it on, however, your results with it will vary. A brief explanation of how raw input works: the game will intercept and use the tablet's RAW INPUT data that was being sent to any handling software (varying from windows to drivers). This will make your aim more absolute/ without acceleration. For mouse players, 6/11 windows sensitivity is your friend. Anything else causes pixel skipping.

Now all of that may have been a bit much to take in and semi wordy, but hopefully you took a little bit from my explanation there.

Habits

This is actually incredibly important as well. Killing bad habits/ making good ones early on will help you a ton in your improvement. For instance, I used to have a really bad habit of tilting my head sideways on spinners (don't ask, lol). It took me a while to kill it only because I didn't notice myself forming the habit and sometimes delayed my reactions after the spinners. Good habits include things such as relaxing while playing (regardless of speed or bpm) and forming a pen grip that won't slip around/ still feels comfortable.

Lastly and most importantly, don't worry too much about these technical details. osu! is a a game in the end, and a game is meant to be enjoyed. Have FUN. Don't frustrate yourself with rankings/ improvement. The more you have fun, the more improvement will actually happen.

Disclaimer: These tips are meant to ease new players into the game without any difficulties and help them learn the game in a fashion that will aid their improvement.
Yuudachi-kun
How is the framerate variability at unlimited?
Topic Starter
Yarissa
I actually personally use a d3d antilag dll hook (there's a thread about it somewhere on the forums as well) so my fps caps around 480 fps (with a GTX 650 TI Boost)

It doesn't waver too much, believe it or not, but sometimes people will have VERY VERY unsteady and unreliable fps with unlimited
bigfeh

Kheldragar wrote:

How is the framerate variability at unlimited?
Depends on your setup, but mine fluctuates between 1200-2400 unless I have another game open in the background, in which case it drops to 600-800. Not that it matters though, because I have absolutely zero screen tearing

TL;DR: probably wild, it won't be anything anywhere near stable

@OP: was expecting shitpost, came to shitpost, found a great thread with some good info instead. Disagree on some of the points but mostly it's really what it is. Congrats on writing this, it's awesome and hopefully will help a lot of newbies

EDIT:

Kaoru wrote:

It doesn't waver too much, believe it or not, but sometimes people will have VERY VERY unsteady and unreliable fps with unlimited
Just figured I'd quote this because unsteady (my case) does not necessarily mean unreliable. If your FPS is unreliable it won't be high enough to be notably unsteady anyways
Vuelo Eluko
straight posture = back problems later
excessive slouching = back problems later
best bet is a comfortable curve
Toy
I see a lot of people using snaking sliders but I've personally kept it checked off for as long as I can remember. Am I missing out?
Vuelo Eluko
yes
Death
Pretty well written Adam :P
XgenSlayer
Very well written and very detailed. However, I do have a question.

Kaoru wrote:

A brief explanation of how raw input works: the game will intercept and use the tablet's RAW INPUT data that was being sent to windows interfacing/ drivers. This will make your aim more absolute/ without acceleration. For mouse players, 6/11 windows sensitivity is your friend. Anything else causes pixel skipping.
So, when you say 6/11 windows sensitivity is your friend, does that mean it has the same effect as Raw Input? For example, if I had 6/11 windows sensitivity and Raw Input off, would I still get perfect 1:1 aim?
Fatal3ty
Disable Snacking Slider for old PC System and Laptops. Run too faster, not laggs. :)

For Wacom-Tablet don't worked with enable RAW-Input. :D

To get better, you should not change too often the skin. Otherwise you can not play properly you when the new skin is unfamiliar. Take prefer that fits well and like. Only so times info.
Topic Starter
Yarissa

XgenSlayer wrote:

Very well written and very detailed. However, I do have a question.

Kaoru wrote:

A brief explanation of how raw input works: the game will intercept and use the tablet's RAW INPUT data that was being sent to windows interfacing/ drivers. This will make your aim more absolute/ without acceleration. For mouse players, 6/11 windows sensitivity is your friend. Anything else causes pixel skipping.
So, when you say 6/11 windows sensitivity is your friend, does that mean it has the same effect as Raw Input? For example, if I had 6/11 windows sensitivity and Raw Input off, would I still get perfect 1:1 aim?
No, they do not work the same.

Again, since windows does not process the raw input data and it goes directly to the game, windows doesn't affect the way the data is handled (minus your usual basic sensitivities, such as the 6/11). After the raw data is handled by windows, any acceleration, and your mouse drivers it is then used/ monitored in the game, causing some slight input delay

I hope that makes a little bit more sense
NinjaNick
I didn't know you could even use raw input for a tablet, but why would you? When I tested it out all it did was make my cursor move slower and I would miss more often with it enabled. What is the point when you know exactly where your cursor should be on the screen and having this enabled just slows down the process?
nrl
Raw input means osu! will get data from the hardware directly, ignoring any software that processes the input. In theory this should be faster, but it really all depends on the software the tablet uses and how osu! is coded. I haven't noticed a difference on my tablet other than not being able to force proportions, so I don't use it.
Topic Starter
Yarissa
I'll put that raw input results may vary then
Bauxe
Oh wow a new guide!

jks read this like 500 times in G&R already
Topic Starter
Yarissa

Bauxe wrote:

Oh wow a new guide!

I didn't see anything stickied aside from the improvement tips thread, and this isn't quite the same thing. I had nothing to lose :)
Bauxe

Kaoru wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

Oh wow a new guide!

I didn't see anything stickied aside from the improvement tips thread, and this isn't quite the same thing. I had nothing to lose :)
You pretty much start by saying "you should copy my game settings". (threads like this have been posted a lot, and often result in the thread creator receiving abuse. Probably won't happen to you since you are more credible than rank ~80,000 players I suppose, but still)

At the end, you say to not worry about these technical details too much, pretty much saying people should play how they want.

I just don't see the point of this thread.
ZenithPhantasm

Bauxe wrote:

Oh wow a new guide!

Dumii

Bauxe wrote:

Oh wow a new guide!

de_stroyed xddddddd
Topic Starter
Yarissa
Not sure if trolling or not, lol

Suffice it to say I put considerable effort into this, and do sincerely believe that most of these settings (which, believe it or not, are NOT ALL my own since I changed a few of them for the guide) are going to be the best for the crowd I was trying to appeal to. I think I had some insight to offer that other players didn't as well

I'm sorry my 500th beginner's guide didn't seem that special to you, do you want me to add fireworks to it?
show more