forum

[Test Post/art req open]Lights and Shadows

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Riversitian
Alright I'm testing about the thingys in the title.
Recently creating arts with them.Testee characters(ocs) req-

quick ask:how do ya express em in ur art-
- Jesse -
I'm not sure if I understood the post correctly and I understand that your english isn't the best.
So I assume you take requests to test how to draw lighting and shadows. So here's my character :>
Sorry if I misunderstood what you meant :v
Topic Starter
Riversitian
yeah you got the exact meaning ;3
(sorry for speaking English in a strange way btw XDD)
Offdensen
I used to go to school for art so I could be at least a little bit of help.

What I normally do is figure out where the source of light is coming from. From what I see with yours, is that it is coming from the middle of the piece, reflecting off of the character, which leads to my next point:

How will it reflect off of the character?

I have noticed that since the light is coming off of the edges of the character (since the light source is behind the character) I would then go from there.

With the shadows on this one, it makes sense. However, if it was a bit more darker around the middle of the chara (nose, middle of the coat, etc.) then it would be more realistic.

I have some examples here:

I hope this helps at all!!!

Adding onto this, this can work with objects or basically anything around the setting as well (ie a ball, grass, different objects).
Topic Starter
Riversitian

- Jesse - wrote:

I'm not sure if I understood the post correctly and I understand that your english isn't the best.
So I assume you take requests to test how to draw lighting and shadows. So here's my character :>

I wonder where I can send the non-watermark version.XD

De Art
[box]

Offdensen wrote:

I used to go to school for art so I could be at least a little bit of help.

What I normally do is figure out where the source of light is coming from. From what I see with yours, is that it is coming from the middle of the piece, reflecting off of the character, which leads to my next point:

How will it reflect off of the character?

I have noticed that since the light is coming off of the edges of the character (since the light source is behind the character) I would then go from there.

With the shadows on this one, it makes sense. However, if it was a bit more darker around the middle of the chara (nose, middle of the coat, etc.) then it would be more realistic.

I have some examples here:

I hope this helps at all!!!

Adding onto this, this can work with objects or basically anything around the setting as well (ie a ball, grass, different objects).

thx a lot for those info!
(they inspired me to make the scene irl and I used the pic as a basd.) ;P
- Jesse -

- Jesse - wrote:

Riversitian wrote:

Woah, that looks really good, and the shading/lightning is also nice. Thank you so much :>>>.
Actually since you mentioned it, do you provide a version with a less intrusive watermark so I could set it as my avatar somewhere?
lostsilver
ooo
can u draw dave for me?
Topic Starter
Riversitian

lostsilver wrote:

ooo
can u draw dave for me?
with pleasure.(I'll try)

- Jesse - wrote:

- Jesse - wrote:

Riversitian wrote:

Woah, that looks really good, and the shading/lightning is also nice. Thank you so much :>>>.
Actually since you mentioned it, do you provide a version with a less intrusive watermark so I could set it as my avatar somewhere?
yes.(Actually I'm used to providing several versions/layers)
(is email ok?)

And tbh,since I said they are test arts,I made progress in these three days...(there are some mistakes in the shadowed/lit versions.If you need to use it, you can directly use the line draft layer.XD)
next time I'm not going to draw a black background with out asking any details about the story of the character bc arts too dark XDDDD

I draw at midnight and now testing a new light version. ;P
lostsilver

Riversitian wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

ooo
can u draw dave for me?
with pleasure.(I'll try)
tysm! i wish you the best of luck <3
Topic Starter
Riversitian

lostsilver wrote:

Riversitian wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

ooo
can u draw dave for me?
with pleasure.(I'll try)
my first try

(actually I think I need to think about the background again.
lostsilver

Riversitian wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

Riversitian wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

ooo
can u draw dave for me?
with pleasure.(I'll try)
my first try

(actually I think I need to think about the background again.
that's perfect!! tysm!! <333 imma put this in my me!page with credit, thank you again!! <3
- Jesse -
Any other ways besides e-mail? You could just send it here. Would be easiest. Or alternatively a private message on osu! with the link to the images.
Topic Starter
Riversitian

- Jesse - wrote:

Any other ways besides e-mail? You could just send it here. Would be easiest. Or alternatively a private message on osu! with the link to the images.
yeah ok,here...see you hours later pal.(04:00 rn)

I will keep them here for 1 day

lostsilver wrote:

that's perfect!! tysm!! <333 imma put this in my me!page with credit, thank you again!! <3
you are welcome. )
- Jesse -
Thanks for the line draft, however I'd like the version with shading already, specifically this one
Just without the watermark if possible. Since it looks the coolest :D
Topic Starter
Riversitian

- Jesse - wrote:

Thanks for the line draft, however I'd like the version with shading already, specifically this one
Just without the watermark if possible. Since it looks the coolest :D
ok
- Jesse -
Yayyy, tysm :D.
You can delete them now.
Topic Starter
Riversitian

- Jesse - wrote:

Yayyy, tysm :D.
You can delete them now.
okay XDD